HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Canadiens 2004 draft evaluation (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=644957)

HF Article 05-23-2009 09:35 PM

Canadiens 2004 draft evaluation
 
The picks the Montreal Canadiens had in the 2004 NHL entry draft continue to pay dividends for the Habs, not just with the players who were drafted, but also with the marquee player who was obtained for the club's second-round selection.

More...

kovalost27 05-26-2009 05:36 PM

All of those little deals Gainey made in that year shows how brilliant he is as a GM. The draft showed quite some success as well, with Streit, Stewart, Grabovski and Chipchura making it to the NHL. Yemelin could make it to in the NHL if he comes back and Loic Lacasse is developping a lot higher than expected.

Great job by Gainey and Timmins!

ChemiseBleuHonnete 05-26-2009 05:39 PM

phew... what a bad draft. There's not one single player left in the system that's worth mentioning.

WhiskeySeven 05-26-2009 05:49 PM

I think Stewart is more than just a fighter, he has speed and checks like a madman.

Chipchura can be the next Peca, he just needs a fair shake.

Andrighetto Fabolous 05-26-2009 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise player (Post 19696403)
phew... what a bad draft. There's not one single player left in the system that's worth mentioning.

It's not even that bad a of a draft compared to many teams.

Grabovski had success in Toronto and got us Lang and Pateryn.

Streit played well in his time for us and had a great season with the Islanders.

Chipchura has had lots of success in the AHL and can be a very good NHLer on the bottom two lines and Stewart will be a good 4th liner for us also.

Hopefully Emelin comes over and gets adjusted to the NA game as he could also be another good pick and there is an outside chance that Wyman becomes an NHLer some day.

It wasn't a good draft but it wasn't exactly a bad draft either considering we never even had a second round pick.

ChemiseBleuHonnete 05-26-2009 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrei Kosteegin (Post 19696613)
It's not even that bad a of a draft compared to many teams.

Grabovski had success in Toronto and got us Lang and Pateryn.

Streit played well in his time for us and had a great season with the Islanders.

Chipchura has had lots of success in the AHL and can be a very good NHLer on the bottom two lines and Stewart will be a good 4th liner for us also.

Hopefully Emelin comes over and gets adjusted to the NA game as he could also be another good pick and there is an outside chance that Wyman becomes an NHLer some day.

It wasn't a good draft but it wasn't exactly a bad draft either considering we never even had a second round pick.

Like I said, I was talking about players still in our organisation.

CrAzYNiNe 05-26-2009 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxLapierre (Post 19696537)
I think Stewart is more than just a fighter, he has speed and checks like a madman.

Chipchura can be the next Peca, he just needs a fair shake.

Chipchura has never been the same since he tore his Achilles. For a guy who never had strong skating, it really didn't help him.

CanadienErrant* 05-26-2009 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe (Post 19696914)
Chipchura has never been the same since he tore his Achilles. For a guy who never had strong skating, it really didn't help him.

They should try him on left wing. Just hope that he is not Jason Ward, v.2

Andrighetto Fabolous 05-26-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by franchise player (Post 19696834)
Like I said, I was talking about players still in our organisation.

There's a chance three of those guys (Chipchura, Stewart and Emelin) could be in our lineup this year... really not that bad of a draft, it's not like we have absolutely nothing but busts in our system from that draft.

Whitesnake 05-26-2009 07:08 PM

Cleary, Streit was a great move. How people can deny this is beyond me. We missed him and had to give a 2nd and 3rd to have somebody that could impersonate him. And he's doing his magic with the Isles while not being the liability that everybody would love him to be. Clearly, a great pick.

Same for Grabovski who people should freakin stop to think about this plane incident and see that they drafted a talent and he is showing that he is. A great pick.

The unknown factor is Emelin. It could go either way. I always thought that Wyman would be a great power forward for us. Really underrated I thought at the time and kept mentioning in my rookie and dev. camps reports. Well seems I missed the boat 'cause probably the best potential he has will be a career AHL'er and possible callup in the NHL. Problem is, there are still looking for an identity for him...is he a forward or a d-man?

Now, while people would love to see that as a great draft 'cause of the quantity of players that played in the NHL, well true that it's fine. But I'm way more interested in the quality of them, you need your draft so you'd get players you won't be able to get via trade or UFA 'cause they are too good. So even us, we would be able to get a Chipchura and a Stewart on the UFA market or via trade.

So in resume, a great quantity draft. A good quality one thanks to Grabovski and Streit. Remains to be seen what Emelin can do now. His performance could upgrade this to a pretty good quality draft.

But it wasn't that great of a draft. Amongst the teams that were behind us, Rangers got Dubinsky and Callahan (though the Dubinsky one, 60th, was not available for us, we picked 18th and 84th...). Jersey, just with Zajac, ends up with a great player and nothing else. Vancouver did great quality wise with Schneider (though still unproven but will be proven...), Edler and Hansen.

Jee 05-26-2009 07:12 PM

Quote:

He played in 20 games, with only one assist to his name, although he enjoyed more success in the AHL level with seven goals and 10 assists in 51 games, racking up 170 points.
170 points :amazed: STEWART = GREZTKY!!!

:sarcasm:

Coach Brisebois* 05-27-2009 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erika Kostitsyn (Post 19696220)
Kyle Chipchura has the bust word written all over his face !!

A career AHLer/border line 4th liner in the fist round ?! Give me a break !! :laugh:

:rant:

:teach:

another future captain on a future championship team full of captain types, shutdown center maybe not, but he's going to be good

imagine the line

Plekanec-Chipchura-S.Kositsyn

Kostisyn will force Plekanec to play like a man and Chips will stop Sergei from killing anyone. it'll be great!

Phousse 05-27-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jee (Post 19697592)
170 points :amazed: STEWART = GREZTKY!!!

:sarcasm:

7 goals and 10 assists for 170 points!! It's as if Einstein played hockey!! :)

Habitants 05-27-2009 08:12 AM

man looking back at drafts between 1995 and 2001 is depressing. when you see the habs wasted picks players and they have nothing to show for them, when they could have chosen far better options. (yes i know hindsight 20/20, but still)

montreal 05-27-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habitants (Post 19702716)
man looking back at drafts between 1995 and 2001 is depressing. when you see the habs wasted picks players and they have nothing to show for them, when they could have chosen far better options. (yes i know hindsight 20/20, but still)

You can keep going through the '90's, yikes was it bad, Markov and Koivu aside. Granted we drafted guys like Ribs, Beauchemin, Ryder, Garon, Aasham, Brett Clark, Robidas, Theodore, Vokoun, Tucker, Rivet, Bure, Savage, Stevenson, Conroy, most of them were successful on other teams, so for 10 years of drafting, not much to show for it. Plus '99 could be the worst draft in the Habs entire history, wow what a stinker (bad draft year overall but still a huge steaming pile of crap)

Once '01 hit you can at least see improvement. Komi, Pleks, Higgins, Perezhogin, Ferland and Milroy all played games for us and 3 of them are major parts of the club from Savard's drafting.

With Timmins, the talk is more about what he missed then what he got. Which doesn't surprise me, especially after the season we just had where fans are right to be pissed and questioning the organization. But from the Timmins draft, A.Kostitsyn, Lappy, O'B, Locke, Halak, Chipchura, Grabo, Stewie, Streit, S.Kosty, Lats, Price, D'Ago, Maxwell, Pacioretty, and Weber all have appeared in NHL games over the last 2-3 seasons from the '03, '04, '05, '06 and '07 drafts. That's a lot of players getting into NHL action, but lots of players that the Habs didn't pick are ripping up the league which is a concern.

As far as '04, we have had 4 guys from that draft play for us, Streit was very good for us, Grabo got us Langer and a solid D prospect, Chipchura had a good debut to the NHL last year, was one of the best defensive forwards in the AHL this year and Stewart looks to be solid 4th liner for us bringing energy and a physical game plus speed. People are down on Chipchura cause he didn't impress in the NHL this year, it was a down year for just about every young player/prospect that played for the Habs this year outside of Lappy and first year pros so maybe with a new coach things will get back on track.

Freaky Habs Fan 05-27-2009 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic (Post 19703139)
That's a lot of players getting into NHL action, but lots of players that the Habs didn't pick are ripping up the league which is a concern.

I like Timmins, but I wonder if he has the guts to be in the top of the scouting department. He's a great scout...that's a fact. He has the track record to prove it. He can find NHL talent...he's one of the best for that.

The only thing is that he rarely find the best. He makes good selections, but there's always a few guys that would have been better. I know it's easy to say, but it's like this each and every year.

So would he be better to be an associate or something like that? When he was in Ottawa, he wasn't alone, and that team of scouts were incredible. Maybe it's what we need in Montreal...maybe we need someone to try things in order to swing harder, and hope for a home run. Right now, we are only getting doubles...

DJyellow 05-27-2009 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 19703712)
Maybe it's what we need in Montreal...maybe we need someone to try things in order to swing harder, and hope for a home run. Right now, we are only getting doubles...

I would call picking Price and A. Kost as swinging for the fences, as they were not quite the safest pick at the time.

What we need is someone who swings and hits it out the park. We are getting a bunch of singles and sacrifice flies at the moment

DJyellow 05-27-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 19703712)
Maybe it's what we need in Montreal...maybe we need someone to try things in order to swing harder, and hope for a home run. Right now, we are only getting doubles...

haha, thanks for stealing my thunder!

Sined 05-27-2009 02:22 PM

Wow, some mod owned Erika real good.

montreal 05-27-2009 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJyellow (Post 19705972)
I would call picking Price and A. Kost as swinging for the fences, as they were not quite the safest pick at the time.

What we need is someone who swings and hits it out the park. We are getting a bunch of singles and sacrifice flies at the moment

Actually, I'd say what we need is more time to see if this is the case. Timmins first draft, 2003, we are just starting to see what these guys can do, in 4-5 years we will have a much clearer picture. Kostitsyn in his first two full seasons has shown lots of flash and has been one of our top goal scorers and he's shown lots of inconsistent play and lackluster play, so it remains to be seen just what we have from him. Clearly there's a lot of talent there but can he put it all together?

Price could easily end up being the best of the bunch, it's way too early to tell. When he didn't have injuries, imo he's been very good, and when he's had injuries and come back from them, he's stunk at times. So in 5+ years let's see where's at in the NHL before we really judge how Timmins did.

DJyellow 05-27-2009 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtlloveslucic (Post 19706571)
Actually, I'd say what we need is more time to see if this is the case. Timmins first draft, 2003, we are just starting to see what these guys can do, in 4-5 years we will have a much clearer picture. Kostitsyn in his first two full seasons has shown lots of flash and has been one of our top goal scorers and he's shown lots of inconsistent play and lackluster play, so it remains to be seen just what we have from him. Clearly there's a lot of talent there but can he put it all together?

Price could easily end up being the best of the bunch, it's way too early to tell. When he didn't have injuries, imo he's been very good, and when he's had injuries and come back from them, he's stunk at times. So in 5+ years let's see where's at in the NHL before we really judge how Timmins did.

I was actually very happy when we drafted A. Kost as it was the first time in awhile we made a high risk/high reward pick in a long time. In hindsight, we should have gone with a "safer" pick like Carter, Richards, Getzlaf and Parise, even though A. Kost has the potential to reach their level.

Price - to me, it's a homerun currently under review

montreal 05-27-2009 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJyellow (Post 19707190)
I was actually very happy when we drafted A. Kost as it was the first time in awhile we made a high risk/high reward pick in a long time. In hindsight, we should have gone with a "safer" pick like Carter, Richards, Getzlaf and Parise, even though A. Kost has the potential to reach their level.

Price - to me, it's a homerun currently under review

I too was happy when we drafted Kostitsyn after that insane U-18 he had right before the draft but in hindsight, yikes would we it be nice to have Getzlaf or Richards or Parise.

Price I'm confident in, unless the off ice rumors have some truth to them, I fully expect him to be a very good goalie but at this stage it's too early to tell and could go in either direction.

Mathletic 05-28-2009 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJyellow (Post 19705972)
I would call picking Price and A. Kost as swinging for the fences, as they were not quite the safest pick at the time.

What we need is someone who swings and hits it out the park. We are getting a bunch of singles and sacrifice flies at the moment

why should a homerun swing be a risky pick?

To me Carter, Richards and Parise were rather safe pick with high reward and the same goes for Giroux at 20

I'd argue that Mike Green was a rather safe pick as well in that 04 draft ... at least more so than Chipchura

Garo 05-28-2009 05:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitesnake (Post 19697508)
Amongst the teams that were behind us, Rangers got Dubinsky and Callahan

They had a pretty bad draft though. Blew a top-10 pick, and their other 1st rounder doesn't look that great. Their three next picks are terrible. Even if they got two NHLers... They really could have done a whole lot better.

Whitesnake 05-28-2009 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garo (Post 19714651)
They had a pretty bad draft though. Blew a top-10 pick, and their other 1st rounder doesn't look that great. Their three next picks are terrible. Even if they got two NHLers... They really could have done a whole lot better.

I agree about the top 10 pick. But again, it is the debate of quantity vs quality. It could have been better. But both guys are good players that have the potential to become great and core players for them. Definately top-6 material that can't be faulted for their lack of work ethic. Add their skills and you've got some great players. That's what I meant.

I still have faith in Korpikoski though. Might be wrong. Dane Byers might be a late bloomer. That would be it though. There were better picks than the ones they took. Still 2 top-6 forwards for their team, I'm sorry but that is still pretty good. Lately, the only draft where we might have a chance to do this is 2005 with Latendresse and D'Agostini or Kostitsyn. We are not there yet.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.