HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Slough-foot --- Dirtiest Move? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=645580)

shotty 05-26-2009 12:07 PM

Slough-foot --- Dirtiest Move?

i play in a men's hockey league in vancouver... it seems like the newest move for d to pull on forwards in front of the net is the dirty slough-foot. happens at least once a game, maybe more depending on the direction. i admit, i used to pull it off quite a bit when i was younger, at the whim of my coach, who also taught me about hitting a guy on the laces with the heel of my stick if he got too close to the goalie.... anyways, i digress.... it's a major penalty in my league, but its almost always called as a tripping minor.

it got me thinking... is it the dirtiest move out there (besides stick infractions like spearing, butt-ending, high sticking, etc). it sure seems to anger people when it happens, i'll admit that i get filled with rage when i fall victim.

Chartrand 05-26-2009 12:21 PM

When it happens to you, make sure to yell out "Dat's a SLOOOOOOOOOOfoot. Dat's a SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOfoot!"

shotty 05-26-2009 12:27 PM

i think i did. then i pulled a bow and arrow out and aimed for the heavens.

Kessel>Seguin + 05-26-2009 12:29 PM

A slew foot never looks dirty until it actually happens to you. When you are standing there and someone comes up behind and trips you it f uckin suck (especially when you dont expect it, in front of the net is a little different) But when you get slew foot in open ice or are unexpected it is the most irrating thing to happen to a player.

I am normally a pretty chill guy when i play. I chirp a little and the odd tossle (maybe 2 a year) but normally just a spur of the moment thing or a battle in front of the net. But when i slew footed from behind i dont think i have ever snapped like that in a hockey game

shotty 05-26-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by juice1815 (Post 19692285)
A slew foot never looks dirty until it actually happens to you. When you are standing there and someone comes up behind and trips you it f uckin suck (especially when you dont expect it, in front of the net is a little different) But when you get slew foot in open ice or are unexpected it is the most irrating thing to happen to a player.

I am normally a pretty chill guy when i play. I chirp a little and the odd tossle (maybe 2 a year) but normally just a spur of the moment thing or a battle in front of the net. But when i slew footed from behind i dont think i have ever snapped like that in a hockey game

seriously. it brings out rage in lady byng candidates.

Hockeyfan68 05-26-2009 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shotty (Post 19692417)
seriously. it brings out rage in lady byng candidates.

Someone did it to me years ago and I beat him up.:laugh: I got kicked from the game and suspended for the next one and the other guy did too. Of course the original penalty was called a simple trip and not the dirty play it really is which could lead to an injury.

So yeah it gets the gander up of just about everyone it is done to.

The dirtiest move though? Probably not .... a spear or uppercut chop to the groin usually looks and IS the worst.

9Rocket 05-26-2009 04:07 PM

How about hitting a guy by the bench while the door is still open? Or hitting someone right by the end of the bench were to glass ends???

edmonton_ice 05-26-2009 04:19 PM

Hmmm.

The slough foot is very pretty cheap especially done when trying to beat out an icing. I think hitting a guy from behind is the dirtiest move in hockey, a guy cannot defend himself and it's just plain cheap and dangerous.

1) Hit from Behind
2) Slough Foot
3) Fighter trying to fight a non-fighter

NYRSinceBirth 05-27-2009 02:08 AM

I got slew footed (word?) skating to a puck right on the blue line, going towards the attacking zone. We were both skating for the puck (I was a slight turn to my right) and he was much bigger than I, and when he did it I twisted, landed on my chest, and spun around. On the tail end of the 360, I took my stick, stuck it in his skates, and gave a nice tug. Took him down with me. Ref saw, but let it go, or he bought it (I tend to believe the prior).

HerrAlex 05-27-2009 02:44 AM

absolutely hate it. There is nothing i can do but take the fall once it happens

Bizz06 05-27-2009 05:24 AM

1. "The Bertuzzi"
2. Blindside hit to the head, see Chris Niel on Drury prior to the Sabres/Senators brawl a couple years ago.
3. blatant knee-on-knee
4. Spearing
5. Sloo-foot

JustinW 05-27-2009 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizz06 (Post 19702284)
1. "The Bertuzzi"
2. Blindside hit to the head, see Chris Niel on Drury prior to the Sabres/Senators brawl a couple years ago.
3. blatant knee-on-knee
4. Spearing
5. Sloo-foot

how about the mcsorley?

Opus 05-27-2009 07:39 AM

Not the dirtiest move, but pretty cheap.

IMO, kicking another player is worse.

noobman 05-27-2009 10:53 AM

There's one guy in my league who likes to jam the blade of his stick into the back of your knee. Putting pressure there pretty much forces you down, so you can't do much about it.

Slewfoots are pretty dirty too... landing on your tailbone hurts

Beerfish 05-27-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 19703965)
There's one guy in my league who likes to jam the blade of his stick into the back of your knee. Putting pressure there pretty much forces you down, so you can't do much about it.

Slewfoots are pretty dirty too... landing on your tailbone hurts

I was just going to mention the stick in the back of the knee, something that LaRose pulled for Carolina last evening. That is one of the worst because unlike slew foots where the victim is often stationary the stick behind the knee is often done when moving at pretty good speed.

SJGoalie32 05-27-2009 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizz06 (Post 19702284)
1. "The Bertuzzi"
3. blatant knee-on-knee
4. Spearing
5. Sloo-foot

Yep.

I'd add, running a guy from behind into the boards (particularly in a non-checking league), elbow to the head, really any kind of sucker punch (whether facing the guy or not), running the goaltender in his crease, any stick infraction to the groin (spear, slash, or hook), and stepping on or kicking somebody.

As a goalie, I also hate intentional snowshowers and post-whistle hacks and slashes. Heck, I'd be angrier at somebody nudging and bumping me in my goal crease than a slew foot. Had one game where I was scrambling to get back into my net after a battle for a loose puck in the slot and the opposing forward reached out and grabbed ahold of my goal stick with his hand which I was holding with my blocker. Delayed me enough to keep me from getting back to the crease in time to stop the puck (which had gone behind the net). Ref didn't call a penalty despite my protestation.

Probably a few others I missed here as well. Slewfoot kinda sucks, but it really isn't even in the top 10 or 15 for me.

Rickety Cricket 05-27-2009 12:15 PM

Gino 14 05-27-2009 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy (Post 19704885)

So what was the purpose of that video?:laugh:

shotty 05-27-2009 03:32 PM

video proof of the first response.

i love the slo-mo commentary starting at ~1:10. shorty sounds drunk

sbkbghockey 05-27-2009 08:10 PM

Slew foot (sp ?) is the worst thing that's happen to me, a season and a half ago I got a high ankle sprain and while I was recovering I played in a men's league during the offseason. Even though i was recovering from the H.A.S. (which can take quite awhile) I was still one of the top guys in the men's league team. I was bringing the puck up the ice on a rush and the D couldn't keep up behind me and started hooking and then slashing and then trying to trip me. All that slowed me down a little and the other D caught up to all this, so all of the sudden i get the slew foot on the leg i was recovering on and that hurt like a b*tch! I fell to one knee got up and came up swinging. he got a 2 for a trip and 4 for roughing and I got a 4 roughing-well worth it ;)

Slew foot is up there in cheap shots, even tho it was a non checking league, I'd rather have the second D step up and make a hit. show a little respect for other players.