HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Shaft: Dolomite vs. AK27 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=645722)

hubby1746 05-26-2009 08:52 PM

Shaft: Dolomite vs. AK27

ive been looking everywhere for the Warrior AK27 Clear 08' model (senior, 85 flex) but cant find it, so im giving up. HockeyMonkey just dropped their prices on the AK27 08' Grip and the Dolomite 08' to $80 each. Ive heard nothing but good things about the Dolomite one piece, but not much regarding the two-piece. And nothing but good things about the AK27. I feel like its gonna come down to the fact that standard blades are easier to find but who knows. So any opinions on which one I should go with?

Ohashi_Jouzu 05-26-2009 09:07 PM

Wow. I just had to pop in and see how Shaft, Dolemite, and Alex Kovalev were going to be brought together in a hockey thread, as Kovalev is hardly a baaaaad mother --, nor a human tornado. Much clearer now, although I'm disappointed at the lack of blaxploitation discussion...

cptjeff 05-26-2009 09:15 PM

Tapered blades are not that hard to find, especially if you're willing to buy online. And tapered shafts do perform better then standard ones.

That said, the Dolo is a good shaft. The Dolo OPS is a dolo shaft and blade with a glue that melts at a higher temperature. It's the same thing, and a lot of people love the stick.

The tapered setup will be the better stick for the money.

Backstrom #19 05-26-2009 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 19698455)
Tapered blades are not that hard to find, especially if you're willing to buy online. And tapered shafts do perform better then standard ones.

That said, the Dolo is a good shaft. The Dolo OPS is a dolo shaft and blade with a glue that melts at a higher temperature. It's the same thing, and a lot of people love the stick.

The tapered setup will be the better stick for the money.

If Tapered sticks are so much better then how come they make Standard?

It's personal preference. I like standard blades and shafts better. That's just me though.

doobie604 05-26-2009 09:44 PM

i haven't tried the ak, but dolomites are pretty good. tapered usually lower kickpoint than std though and std blade also cheaper than tapered blades as well. i would go with the ak if you take more slapshots (assuming the ak is mid-low kickpoint). also more/cheaper blade choices with the std shaft.

stick9 05-26-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 (Post 19698587)
If Tapered sticks are so much better then how come they make Standard?

It's personal preference. I like standard blades and shafts better. That's just me though.

Because standard shafts were the industry standard for quite a few years prior to the OPS invasion. There are tons of people who never made the jump to the OPS and companies couldn't force people to buy $150 sticks, even though a decent standard shaft and blade can run you about $120.

A tapered set up is really the best of both worlds. You get all the perks you get with a standard shaft, with the added performance you get from an OPS.