HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Zubrus + 3rd + 4th for Steckel (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=645870)

Omar Little 05-27-2009 09:03 AM

Zubrus + 3rd + 4th for Steckel
 
NJD

Zubrus
3rd
4th

WSH

Steckel


Washington gets a point producing 2nd-3rd line center and a pair of picks for salary compensation and NJD gets rid of his salary plus a reasonable 3rd-4th line center

brs03 05-27-2009 09:18 AM

No. You want to dump Zubrus on us, you're taking back Nylander (even if we give you something else of modest value along with him).

Steckel's not likely to be traded after the playoffs he had and given his contract.

Beukeboom Fan 05-27-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brs03 (Post 19703107)
No. You want to dump Zubrus on us, you're taking back Nylander (even if we give you something else of modest value along with him).

Steckel's not likely to be traded after the playoffs he had and given his contract.

Agree with this. No one's going to bail NJ out of a 3-4 years of a bad contract for a 3rd & 4th round DP. If Zubrus is moved, NJ would very likely be taking a bad contract back.

txpd 05-27-2009 09:33 AM

before you choose a team to take your salary dump contract, its good to make sure that team has the cap space to do it.

its also smart to consider that most teams taking a salary dump are usually rebuilding teams that don't care if a big contract is underperforming.

The Capitals have Nylander and Theodore already.

Beukeboom Fan 05-27-2009 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpd (Post 19703237)
before you choose a team to take your salary dump contract, its good to make sure that team has the cap space to do it.

its also smart to consider that most teams taking a salary dump are usually rebuilding teams that don't care if a big contract is underperforming.

The Capitals have Nylander and Theodore already.


Call me crazy - but with both Kozlov & Federov leaving - if the Caps could move a bad contract back (Nylander) - wouldn't this deal make some sense from the Cap's POV?

HSHS 05-27-2009 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan (Post 19703307)
Call me crazy - but with both Kozlov & Federov leaving - if the Caps could move a bad contract back (Nylander) - wouldn't this deal make some sense from the Cap's POV?

Potentially.

It would be interesting to know if GMGM is aligned with Ted in the theory that we need bigger centers to compete with Pitt in the east. If so then maybe GMGM would consider the term of Zubies contract acceptable as he would provide positional flexibility and a physical upgrade to Nyls while also providing near term cap relief.

Also I think it must be Nyls on the roids. :sarcasm:

But I don't think that NJ would do the swap.

edit: to the OP, there's no way in hell that's happening given the playoffs Steckel had offensively as well as his defensive and faceoff abilities. Even if he gets a decent raise on his next contract

Marlowe Syn 05-27-2009 09:52 AM

No way does Washington take this offer. Steckel is signed for this season to a very good contract and his stock rose with his playoffs. Washington has their quota of bad contracts.

Beukeboom Fan 05-27-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HSHS (Post 19703389)
Potentially.

It would be interesting to know if GMGM is aligned with Ted in the theory that we need bigger centers to compete with Pitt in the east. If so then maybe GMGM would consider the term of Zubies contract acceptable as he would provide positional flexibility and a physical upgrade to Nyls while also providing near term cap relief.

Also I think it must be Nyls on the roids. :sarcasm:

But I don't think that NJ would do the swap.

edit: to the OP, there's no way in hell that's happening given the playoffs Steckel had offensively as well as his defensive and faceoff abilities. Even if he gets a decent raise on his next contract

My thought process behind NJ taking the deal would be taking their poison all in one shot. They would only be on the hook for 2 more years of Nylander, compared to 4 years of Zubrus. Give MN one year, and if he's not producing, see if someone would take him on reentry waivers or bury him in the minors, then buy him out.

I do think that Zubrus has more value than Nylander, so WASH would probably have to kick in something extra (2nd round DP'sh).

jumptheshark 05-27-2009 10:28 AM

I think the caps pass due to Zubrus being 31 an this contract going for 4 more years at 3.4million. Also, one of the reasons Washington traded him to Buffalo was due to his cointract demands. I think some people see the work he did with Alex O 3 and 4 years ago and think that they will get better. Caps have a few players playing with Alex O who fill that need.

This more about getting Zubrus' contract off the devils and onto a team that has cap space. While Zubrus' contract is not as bad as some, I think the asking price for a team taking the contract will be a second

HSHS 05-27-2009 11:00 AM

I think its important for both sides, and fans with respect to our conversation, to look at the cap "cash" flow for each player.

Now I don't have the exact buyout numbers so these are estimates for discussion only. I think Sk8 has the right numbers in the caps salary stickied thread. I'll adjust after checking the site.

Zubrus:
3.4 3.4 3.4 3.4

Nyls:
4.6 4.6 0 0

Nyls buyout (approx):
4.6 ~2 ~2 0

NMC: Zubrus none, Nyls expires after 2010.

Drake1588 05-27-2009 11:04 AM

The Caps will not consider Zubrus, who has been a Cap before and whose game (with positives and liabilities) they are familiar with, in exchange for a player who makes a good deal less and is a strong defensive player.

The Devils will not consider Nylander, whose trade value while he is a 13th forward is precisely nil. Nylander has a NMC as well, but that is neither here nor there. The Devils would need to accede to a trade before the Caps would seek Nylander's waiver.

1. Steckel is a strong defensive player with a bargain contract.
2. Zubrus is a solid two-way player with limited and streaky offense, signed to very long term.
3. Nylander has two years remaining with a high cap hit, and he can't presently crack the NHL roster.

No one wants Nylander, few would consider Zubrus. Steckel? He's virtually untouchable, not because he is a world beater (he isn't), but because he provides sound value in his role for a minimal salary, and those players just do not get traded today unless it's for a plum in return.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:00 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.