HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What would you offer for the first overall pick? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64685)

Burkey 03-24-2004 01:35 PM

What would you offer for the first overall pick?

I'm just curious as to what kind of offers the team with the first overall pick could get.

Fire away.

Bird Law 03-24-2004 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burkey
I'm just curious as to what kind of offers the team with the first overall pick could get.

Fire away.

Lundmark, Poti, NYR 1st, and a loaaaad of cash.

monster_bertuzzi 03-24-2004 01:57 PM

Jovanovski, or

Morrison,Kesler,1st round pick

littleHossa 03-24-2004 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi
Jovanovski, or

Morrison,Kesler,1st round pick

Because we all know Jovo = Ovechkin and a 2nd liner and some unproven talent = Ovechkin

Meh, the first ones are always bad..

Vermette, 1st + Phillips, just kidding :)

Havlat, Volchenkov/Phillips, 1st 2005.

Luigi Lemieux 03-24-2004 02:04 PM

ryan whitney and the 2nd or 3rd overall pick to move up to #1

Perez 03-24-2004 02:07 PM

How about Zednik, Kastsitsyn, Plekanec ( or Hainsey) and habs first rounder for 2005.

The Tang 03-24-2004 02:09 PM

mikael samuelsson, Pens #1, and swap of 2nd and 3rds. oh, wait, that was last year...

seriously though, i'd be willing to give up the Pens #1 (of course) and then another pretty good prospect (probably not whitney though). maybe even Armstrong + another pick/prospect

RyanWhite53 03-24-2004 02:10 PM

So, I guess we're all in agreement that Ovechkin is a superhero? :dunno:

These all seem like huge overpayments to me.

Blackjack 03-24-2004 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The~Franchise

I agree. I'd give up a lot, but these proposals are rediculous.

How about Zednik, Kastsitsyn, Plekanec ( or Hainsey) and habs first rounder for 2005?

Geez, I'd give you Elias + for that. No way is Ovechkin worth Elias +.

littleHossa 03-24-2004 02:24 PM

Well he is a franchise player, and has all the tools of a superstar. Ovechkin has much more fuel left in the tank than Elias, I'd say he's worth more than him. We'll see on draft day, what proposals were being rumoured, and how the young russian looks in 5 years from now.

GoM 03-24-2004 02:33 PM

I'm going to be laughing my ass off if one team does make one of these trades, and Ovechkin busts or doesn't turn out to be very good

kyle 03-24-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleHossa
Well he is a franchise player, and has all the tools of a superstar. Ovechkin has much more fuel left in the tank than Elias, I'd say he's worth more than him. We'll see on draft day, what proposals were being rumoured, and how the young russian looks in 5 years from now.

Ovechkin's done pretty well at the NHL level too, so there's no worry that he won't adjust well to the game, or bust at all. Impossibilities.

littleHossa 03-24-2004 02:40 PM

I wouldn't hear any Oiler fan talking about Ovechkin being a bust if they had the #1 pick in their hands. He's performing very well in the RSL on the 3rd line with some PP time I think, you don't score pretty consistently in the RSL as a teenager and become a bust in the NHL too often. Ovechkin is going to be something special, he's not dominating as an overager in the OHL, or being a lazy ass in college, he's in the RSL and his bust potential is a lot smaller than a lot of the guys ranked under him.

jacklours 03-24-2004 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Perez
How about Zednik, Kastsitsyn, Plekanec ( or Hainsey) and habs first rounder for 2005.

How about... We keep all them players in the Habs organization.

Kevin Forbes 03-24-2004 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The~Franchise

it's Hockey's Future, so we all love prospects
same thing happened last year, sacrificing proven talent for a crapshoot
it's tradition

kyle 03-24-2004 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleHossa
I wouldn't hear any Oiler fan talking about Ovechkin being a bust if they had the #1 pick in their hands. He's performing very well in the RSL on the 3rd line with some PP time I think, you don't score pretty consistently in the RSL as a teenager and become a bust in the NHL too often. Ovechkin is going to be something special, he's not dominating as an overager in the OHL, or being a lazy ass in college, he's in the RSL and his bust potential is a lot smaller than a lot of the guys ranked under him.

I didn't say he was going to be a bust. Pay attention. People are offering up the world for him. I don't think that he is worth more than a 27 year old with two Stanley Cups, who is 7th in the league in goals (on one of the most defensive teams in the league), 3 years removed from a near 100 point season. That's not to say I wouldn't draft him if I was in that spot, but I don't think he's worth more at 18 than Elias is at 27.

Burkey 03-24-2004 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jacklours
How about... We keep all them players in the Habs organization.

Good call.

misfit 03-24-2004 02:58 PM

my first born child...and a first round pick.

Bluenote13 03-24-2004 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoM
I'm going to be laughing my ass off if one team does make one of these trades, and Ovechkin busts or doesn't turn out to be very good

Oh really, is that what you're gonna do? Wow, that is some statement! You know, I never thought that he could be a bust. Man, you just blow minds.......

struckmatch 03-24-2004 03:10 PM

Some people think Ovechkin is the second coming of Jesus or something. Keep your pants on guys...some of these proposals are absolutely ludicrous.

Luigi Lemieux 03-24-2004 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puck you
Some people think Ovechkin is the second coming of Jesus or something. Keep your pants on guys...some of these proposals are absolutely ludicrous.

that's the way it is with very hyped #1 overalls.

in 2001, Jagr was 29, coming off 4 straight art ross trophies. Craig patrick offered jagr for the #1 pick which turned out to be kovalchuk, and was flatly denied.

sorry but elias wouldn't be close to enough to get ovechkin. ovechkin has the potential to be twice the player elias is, and that's what has all the teams drooling. not saying he'll be the second coming of gretz, but the potential is there to be the best player in the league.

the reality is, whether you all think it should be or not, that it would take a huuuge offer to pry ovechkin from the team that drafts him.

Histrion 03-24-2004 03:49 PM

Everybody also knew that Jagr would command a very big contract and the he was already 29 and that the Trashers were rebuilding: not trading young assets for a player to put them over the top..

Burkey 03-24-2004 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dark Metamorphosis
in 2001, Jagr was 29, coming off 4 straight art ross trophies. Craig patrick offered jagr for the #1 pick which turned out to be kovalchuk, and was flatly denied.

Very interesting, I don't recall this. I do remember that Jagr was on the block, but no rumors about him going to Atlanta. I do remember a rumor about him going to Vancouver though... :p I remember that Montreal offered something like Garon, Markov and two first round picks for the first overall - which was turned down. So I'd expect an offer for Ovechkin to be similar.

My impression is that people are offering a lot, but what do I know. Ovechkin is a special player - no doubt about it - and is as close a thing as there is to a sure thing, so I guess he should fetch a lot. But a couple of Montreal's top prospects, a draft pick and Zednik seems like a drastic overpayment to me.

I'd think that some package of Zednik/Markov + a first round pick ('04 or '05) and a prospect (Kastsitsyn?) would get it done, and allow Montreal to keep their system relatively intact.

Perez 03-24-2004 04:09 PM

Wow ok my prop got burned. :D
But imo thats what it would take to get Ovech...

Zednik is now at his prime and he's scoring around 25-30 goals, Kast is still a prospect but he's got alot of potenciel from what I've read, Pleks should turn-out to be a valuable center but at the same time is expandable from mtl pov and the first rounder in 05' should be around the 2oth overall.

If you compare that to the proposal the habs made to the Thrashers in 01' draft for Ilya it seems reasonoble. At the time I remem ber that the players and oicks offered where Garon, Markov, Zednik and 2 first rounders ( Komi and Perez). It's pretty much equal to my proposal if not more and it was rejected...

Habs could make this moove to get a top prospect. They've got enough depht too moove this players; they would still have prospects like Perez,Higgins, Urqhuart, Danis, Hossa, Lapierre... and + Ovech. :D

Imo my proposal isn't as bad as alot of you are saying. Yes it's alot to give up for one player who could end-up being a bust but at the same time it's realistic from what a team should give up to get him. Now don't be hating. :D

littleHossa 03-24-2004 04:12 PM

Would you trade Gretzky in his prime for Bertuzzi and Naslund in their prime? The answer most people would say is no..

(NOT A Gretz - Ovechkin comparison!!!)

The possible dealing of Ovechkin would take more than a package of equal value, if Ovechkin pans out, there aren't going to be 30 players like him in the league when he's in his prime, there aren't even going to be 5 players like him, he is going to be unique! What would it take to get that kind a player, two 30 goal scorers and 1st rounder isn't going to cut it, every team has a 30 goal scorer almost, it would take a huge "overpayment" value wise to get that player.

And finally, trading for Ovechkin befores he proves himself might be the only time ever any team might have the slightest chance at him. Examples would be Mario Lemieux, after his first season with the Pens, he was as untouchable as they come, you wanted a chance at Mario, trading for the #1 pick would of been the only way.