HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Kovalchuk to Pens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=647080)

LeafsGetTavares* 05-31-2009 11:31 PM

Kovalchuk to Pens

EDITED

Crosby and Kovalchuk may have beef; but putting that aside if Crosby can end that how does this sound?

To Atlanta: 2010,2011 first round,2010 2nd round pick,Jordan Staal

To Pittsburgh:Ilya Kovalchuk

Trade deadline deal if Kovalchuk won't resign with ATL.

Modo 05-31-2009 11:33 PM

Not nearly enough for Kovalchuk.

Also, kind of hard to include this year's 1st if it's meant as a trade deadline deal for next season.

AK 05-31-2009 11:34 PM

The second best sniper in the world for a bunch of late first round picks and a third line winger.

Right.

LeafsGetTavares* 05-31-2009 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Letang58 (Post 19755106)
The second best sniper in the world for a bunch of late first round picks and a third line winger.

Right.

I changed it a bit, Kovalchuk will be a free agent in next years offseason so he would only be their for 3 months or so including playoffs.

JT 91 NYI* 05-31-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafsGetTavares (Post 19755043)
EDITED

Crosby and Kovalchuk may have beef; but putting that aside if Crosby can end that how does this sound?

:facepalm:

LeafsGetTavares* 05-31-2009 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JT 91 NYI (Post 19755145)
:facepalm:

More from the pens? What about they throw in Letang?

Shellz 05-31-2009 11:40 PM

loll

Modo 05-31-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeafsGetTavares (Post 19755181)
More from the pens? What about they throw in Letang?

Pittsburgh's 1st round picks will most likely be in the early to mid-20's for the forseeable future. You're saying two of those, plus Staal, equals a phenomenal talent in Kovalchuk?

Adding Letang would still make this deal lopsided in Pittsburgh's favour.

66-29-33 05-31-2009 11:46 PM

Yes, let's trade all our 1st every year when we are going to have cap trouble, and never have cheap relief.

HockeyThoughts 06-01-2009 12:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 19755309)
Pittsburgh's 1st round picks will most likely be in the early to mid-20's for the forseeable future. You're saying two of those, plus Staal, equals a phenomenal talent in Kovalchuk?

Phenomenal talent who is UFA at year end.

NoLocus* 06-01-2009 12:34 AM

I see pitts as being one of the teams Kovalchuk would be interested signing with, with two of the best centers in the league and one of them being Russian(If things go well in the Olympics I guess). That trio could be the core of a dynasty.

phlocky 06-01-2009 01:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 19755095)

Also, kind of hard to include this year's 1st if it's meant as a trade deadline deal for next season.

This isn't just for you but yours is the only one I quoted here.

You guys do realize this is a ton more than Peter Forsberg got at the deadline right and Forsberg was a PROVEN GOD in the playoffs. He was by far the best player ever available at the deadline and even HE didn't return this much. HE only returned a 3rd line player in Scotty Upshall (STILL just a 3rd line player more than 2 years later), the 3rd best defensive prospect in the Nash system (2nd pairing potential at the time and still that way), a late 1st in one of the worst drafts in history, and a 3rd in the same terrible draft. If this is a deadline deal then I think that Atl would be lucy to walk away with Staal + 2010 2nd. Staal will be a far far better player than they would get from any team trading away their 1st in 2010.

CrosbyCrosby* 06-01-2009 01:02 AM

kovalchuk to pens has to be done somehow.

phlocky 06-01-2009 01:03 AM

Quote:

You remind me of the Ana guys that think one year of Pronger is worth JVR, Giroux, Coburn + our 09 1st. Yeah right.

Enstrom39 06-01-2009 01:06 AM

I think that if Kovalchuk does not sign by late July he will be traded before camps open in September. The organization is not going to wait forever like they did with Hossa.

TheKingPin 06-01-2009 01:07 AM

yes i love seeing the Pens piss away their future year after year to have the same number of cups as we do! If you are the Pens you sit tight. Draft young talented players. Put them with your superstar centers, then trade them for bank when they want cash. If you have 2/3 best forwards in the world, you should probably stop trying to get more superstar forwards in here. I mean against the Flyers there was some amazing saves by Fluery only because the D let down so many times. Just look at the one play when Richards stole the puck form the Dman then scored. The only player the Pens should trade is Malkin, to LA for an unreal return.

gravytrain6t 06-01-2009 01:44 AM

Quote:

That sums it up right there. There's no guarantee you get a 8,9, or 10 overall pick that it will pan out. Even at number 1, I think Alexander Daigle was a first overall selection :laugh:. I know that's more of an exception but I mean, not unless you're sure Atlanta's getting kids like John Tavares, Matt Duchene, Cody Hodgson and then throw in Jordan Staal, I'll take the deal.
But no way do you trade the best goal scorer in the league for a few 29th overall picks and Jordan Staal. And Letang? How does that spice it up? Throw in a fourth round pick and you got a deal. :shakehead.

But if I'm a Pens GM, I would try it. What the heck? I'm sure Crosby and Kovalchuk have had there differences. But after they win their 5th straight Cup I'm sure those differences will get brushed to the side a bit.

The Puck 06-01-2009 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modo (Post 19755095)

At the trade deadline, it would be WAY more than enough.

It would cost just about the same as what it cost for Pittsburgh to get Hossa at last deadline.

Chandrashekhar Limit 06-01-2009 01:58 AM

Quote:

EDITED

Good proposal, IF Kovalchuck is not signed. Man, can you imagine how good Crosby centering Kovalchuk would be?

Saren 06-01-2009 02:02 AM

That's a lot of draft picks to be pissing away for someone whose just going to sign with Detroit next year.

:sarcasm:

Alex28* 06-01-2009 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIMITING REAGENT (Post 19756680)
Good proposal, IF Kovalchuck is not signed. Man, can you imagine how good Malkin centering Kovalchuk would be?

Fixed.

El Maestro 06-01-2009 05:41 AM

Quote:

Honnestly, do you really think that this is Kovalchuk worthy?

seanlinden 06-01-2009 05:51 AM

There is something called a salary cap last time I checked. The penguins problably cant afford to keep Staal; nevermind move him for an even bigger salary.

To the notion of trading 2 first round picks & staal for a deadline deal; did you not learn anything from Marian Hossa? That not only destroys your development system for the next 4-5 years; but it prevents you from makign any deadline deals in the future. Pittsburgh is going to need some cap friendly top 6 wingers and likely 1 top 4 defenceman over the next couple seasons.

IslesDude 06-01-2009 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burt the Dog (Post 19756639)
At the trade deadline, it would be WAY more than enough.

It would cost just about the same as what it cost for Pittsburgh to get Hossa at last deadline.

No it wouldn't. Kovalchuk is a far more valuable player. Just because Hossa can backcheck better does not make the value the same. The asking price for Kovalchuk is going to be insane if he isn't signed. Ilya Kovalchuk is superior in every other aspect of the game. Offense, Leadership, Skating, etc. I'm sure some team will be willing to pay Atlanta up the rear for him. You aren't going to get off with trading a boom or bust prospect + three spare parts. The return might not be astromomical, but if Atlanta trades Kovalchuk there will surely be a Berglund, Kessel, Perron, Eriksson, Okposo, Ryan type player in there somewhere. Fans on here can say that they'd never give a guy like that up for Kovalchuk, but i'm sure the GM's would be more than happy to sacrifice one good young player for one of the most dominant guys in the league.

Look at back of 07-08. Atlanta was toying with a playoff spot for the first half of the season AFTER an 0-6 start. Why? The only reason is Ilya Kovalchuk. He was the only even semi decent player aside from Enstrom. Of course he eventually tired out due to the injury and from having to carry the team on his back. Then in 08-09 Atlanta went on a tear after he was named Captain. That kind of player isn't easy to come by. Hossa is definitely not on that level. The teams trading fr Kovalchuk will have every intention of signing him. He will be a lot more than a rental player like Hossa.

kmillzy5 06-01-2009 06:28 AM

Quote:

EDITED

Where can Shero sign? :yo: