HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   With the Rangers now in the #5 spot (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64712)

pld459666 03-24-2004 03:32 PM

With the Rangers now in the #5 spot

and if they are somehow able to hold down that selection does anyone think that the Rangers will somehow "win" the lottery?

Wasn't the NBA accused of fixing the draft Lottery for the Knicks so thatthey could draft the big guy?

I could see a similar scenario.

just an onion

Bluenote13 03-24-2004 03:37 PM

I don't think the 'Fix' is in. But of course if we do get lucky, Pens/BJ/Caps fans will scream bloody murder.

Whats the story with the Knicks? I thought they were real bad that year, plus Bernard King got hurt which made them alot worse. :dunno:

JR#9* 03-24-2004 03:38 PM

There is no doubt that if we did pull a rabbit out of the hat and somehow won the lottery with a 8.1% chance that the entire NHL would be screaming FIX but F them.

The NHL doesn't fix drafts like this and it is witnessed by all sorts of reps so if we win it will be on the up and up.

IF we are able to stay in the 5th spot I would lose my mind if we somehow defied the odds and won it.It really would signify a new era in Blueshirt history.

Fitzlax99 03-24-2004 03:44 PM

Winning the lottery would be huge huge HUGE for the organization. Bringing in a player who is not only projected to be a star, but who is also NHL ready, would generate a huge buzz in New York.

And as much as I look forward to watching Tyutin, Murray and co. develop, it would give us yet another reason to suffer through next season, if there is one.

BIGBLUESHIRTSNYY 03-24-2004 03:47 PM

can you imagine ovechekin in a broadway blue shirt? :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :p :p :p :D :D

Melrose_Jr. 03-24-2004 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
if we do get lucky, Pens/BJ/Caps fans will scream bloody murder.

Uh, I think EVERYONE will scream bloody murder.

It's deabteable that it would be in the league's best interest to see us win the lottery considering the health of some of the other bottom 6 franchises. The Rangers are not teetering on the edge of existence, unlike Pittsburgh.

Slats432 03-24-2004 03:55 PM

One would hope that the fix wouldn't be in, but if a team wins the lottery, then they win the lottery. It would be ironic if you did though.

Vito Andolini 03-24-2004 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIGBLUESHIRTSNYY
can you imagine ovechekin in a broadway blue shirt? :handclap: :handclap: :handclap: :p :p :p :D :D

yea, in like 18 years

ddheyman 03-24-2004 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.

It's debateable that it would be in the league's best interest to see us win the lottery considering the health of some of the other bottom 6 franchises. The Rangers are not teetering on the edge of existence, unlike Pittsburgh.

I don't know what the issue is ... I don't know that the lottery could be fixed if they wanted to ... I am sure that every team will have a rep there and it will be monitored by a third party. Other than that what can you do?

Will other teams complain? Yes. Everyone conplains whenever the Rangers do something ... we are like the Yankees, damned if you do, damned if you don't (except that we don't win like they have).

Everyone else hates us, and they would like for us to fail, so they have enjoyed our 7 years or hell, and this current years version of a dismantling ... to now win the lottery would be blasphemous.

Edge 03-24-2004 04:34 PM

Any NY team is screwed no matter what sport.

They spend money they are evil.

sign prospects they are evil.

win a monitored lottery and it's fixed.

make a trade to another team and they're buying things.

draft well and it's "only because they have the resources".

This is exactly why NY is the city it is.

Because no other city in the world gets a reaction, one way or the other, the way NY does.

True Blue 03-24-2004 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.

It's deabteable that it would be in the league's best interest to see us win the lottery considering the health of some of the other bottom 6 franchises. The Rangers are not teetering on the edge of existence, unlike Pittsburgh.

It's debetable that it would be in the league's best interest to have the top pick of either of the next 2 draft's wind up a Ranger. One could make the argument that as the Rangers go, so too does the league. When the Rangers are good, they are the most hated team in hockey. But, hated or not, EVERYONE tunes in when they are on TV and comes out when they are in town. Kind of like the 'Yanks.
One may say that bringing a sure-fire star to NYC IS in the best interest of the league.

RangersFan 03-24-2004 04:58 PM

according to the other thread, if the Rangers win the lottery they will get the 2nd overall pick. The Rangers need to be in the 4th spot for a chance at the #1.

DARTH SATHER 03-24-2004 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersFan
according to the other thread, if the Rangers win the lottery they will get the 2nd overall pick. The Rangers need to be in the 4th spot for a chance at the #1.

Nope, you can move down 4 spots so you need to be 5th or lower to get a chance at the number 1.

NYR2 03-24-2004 05:57 PM

Quote:

I don't think the 'Fix' is in. But of course if we do get lucky, Pens/BJ/Caps fans will scream bloody murder.

And you know what? Too friggin bad! The Pens and Blue Jackets already have a young star (or two in the Blue Jackets case) to build around. We don't have a prospect like Nash, Zherdev or Fleury. The Caps don't have anyone that I'm aware of, so I'll give them that lol. I'm just so sick and tired about everyone crying about every little thing the Rangers do. God forbid something good like Ovechkin happens to the Rangers.

I think I would probably cry if the Rangers won the lottery. It would be such a huge step foward for this organization. I may even go to church and pray for some luck for the Rangers, and I haven't been there in years lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
One may say that bringing a sure-fire star to NYC IS in the best interest of the league.

That's what I'm saying! We. Need. Him.

Tommy Udo 03-24-2004 06:19 PM

Quote:

Whats the story with the Knicks? I thought they were real bad that year, plus Bernard King got hurt which made them alot worse. :dunno:

No one accused the Knicks of tanking it. They accused the league of "fixing" the lottery to insure that the Knicks would get Ewing.

"Knicks Hit Jackpot in First Lottery:
In 1985, the jackpot of the very first NBA draft lottery was 7-0 Georgetown center Patrick Ewing. All seven teams that didn't make the playoffs had an equal chance of landing the No.1 pick and thereby, Ewing. A lucky bounce of the ping pong balls made the New York Knicks the first draft lottery winner and then-general manager (and Hall of Famer) Dave DeBusschere rose from his seat with a celebratory fist pump.
New York selected Ewing with the first overall pick in the 1985 draft and Ewing went on to play 15 seasons for the Knicks, leading them to the playoffs 13 times."

NBA.com: Evolution of the Lottery
Address:http://www.nba.com/news/lottery02_evolution.html

in the hall 03-24-2004 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JR#9
There is no doubt that if we did pull a rabbit out of the hat and somehow won the lottery with a 8.1% chance that the entire NHL would be screaming FIX but F them.

when you look at the whole picture, 8% is not as bad considering the best chance is 25%

kiwikid 03-25-2004 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
when you look at the whole picture, 8% is not as bad considering the best chance is 25%

It's bad when you consider odds are 92% that you won't get it.

in the hall 03-25-2004 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwikid

92% includes every team outside the top 5 and its not possible for them to win the lottery

Barnaby 03-25-2004 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
92% includes every team outside the top 5 and its not possible for them to win the lottery

Yea.... so.... stil 92% chance we don't get #1....

pld459666 03-25-2004 11:49 AM

look at it this way

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwikid

over the last few years, don't remember how many, I think only 2 have retained the pick.

If you're looking at the last 5 years that's a 40% ratio. That means 60% of the time the holder of the #1 pick didn't hold it.

The 32% difference looks better doesn't it??

in the hall 03-25-2004 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barnaby
Yea.... so.... stil 92% chance we don't get #1....

if 14 nonplayoff teams are restricted from moving up more then 4 spots in the draft, that elliminates about a 70% chance we miss out due to the 9 teams not able to move up to the #1 spot... now factor in the difference in percentages between those teams and the top 5 teams, it is roughly a 20% chance versus the rest of the 5 teams, now the probability is much higher because the difference between the top and bottom quantity of ping pong balls is not so great.. it isn't as if one team has 250% chance of winning the lottery like in the NBA.. it only takes common sense and a little math skill to figure this out

adding on to pld's reply, past history has proven this is true...... the probability is higher because of the least amount of teams that can actually win it