HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: La - Bos (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=648116)

DapperDan 06-04-2009 03:32 PM

La - Bos

To LA: Sturm and Ference
To BOS: Boyle, Richardson, and 3rd '09 / 2nd '10

I'm not sure how fair that is in value but it makes sense to me. The B's get some cap relief, a big depth C, a speedy 3rd/4th liner that hasn't had the opportunity to do much in LA and a pick. LA gets a LW scorer and a capable older vet defenseman to help the young guys along. Thoughts?

8BostonRocker24 06-04-2009 03:40 PM

Boston says pass.

BronxBruin 06-04-2009 03:45 PM

Boyle or Richardson aren't needed as they'd be hard pressed to beat out anyone the B's already have on the team. If the Bruins are goingto trade Sturm and Ference, I'd rather just get picks back.

embracedbias 06-04-2009 03:51 PM

Would Sturm waive his NMC (or NTC)?

DapperDan 06-04-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embracedbias (Post 19797325)

This assumes he does. He has a history with Lombardi and we all know how Lombardi loves his former Sharks/Flyers.

Flames Fanatic 06-04-2009 04:34 PM

Why would you need Boyle when you have Colbourne coming and already have Savard, Krejci, Bergeron, Bitz, Yelle, etc at center?

Youngblood93 06-04-2009 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by embracedbias (Post 19797325)

How many more years does Sturm have on his contract?

bigbadbruins1 06-04-2009 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fivehole93 (Post 19797804)
How many more years does Sturm have on his contract?

1 year at 3.5 million.

Youngblood93 06-04-2009 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbadbruins1 (Post 19797900)
1 year at 3.5 million.

thanks

Dr Quincy 06-04-2009 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DapperDan (Post 19797089)
To LA: Sturm and Ference
To BOS: Boyle, Richardson, and 3rd '09 / 2nd '10

I'm not sure how fair that is in value but it makes sense to me. The B's get some cap relief, a big depth C, a speedy 3rd/4th liner that hasn't had the opportunity to do much in LA and a pick. LA gets a LW scorer and a capable older vet defenseman to help the young guys along. Thoughts?

No offense but I'd rather just have the picks. I don't see Boyle or Richardson ever playing for the Bruins. We have guys better than Boyle in Providence and we can't find room for them (though that may change this year).

For those guys some combo of picks and lesser prospects would be more attractive.

Dr Quincy 06-04-2009 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flames Fanatic (Post 19797769)
Why would you need Boyle when you have Colbourne coming and already have Savard, Krejci, Bergeron, Bitz, Yelle, etc at center?

Yelle is most likely gone and Bitz plays wing mostly, but other than that... yes you are correct. We have no need for Boyle and I don't think he'd beat out guys like Bitz, Sobotka or Marchand and would likely be surpassed by guys like Hamill and Colborne.

DapperDan 06-04-2009 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Quincy (Post 19798511)
No offense but I'd rather just have the picks. I don't see Boyle or Richardson ever playing for the Bruins. We have guys better than Boyle in Providence and we can't find room for them (though that may change this year).

For those guys some combo of picks and lesser prospects would be more attractive.

Like what? And why would you want lesser prospects?

JMFJ 3 06-04-2009 10:56 PM

Boyle has shown he can score at the NHL level, I'm not sure LA is ready to cut all ties yet.

mikeybuddha91 06-04-2009 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DapperDan (Post 19802571)

He's being realistic. We won't get top of the line prospects for these guys. We'll take decent forwards/dmen of the non-center ilk I would guess.

ukyo 06-05-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMFJ 3 (Post 19802988)
Boyle has shown he can score at the NHL level, I'm not sure LA is ready to cut all ties yet.

He's also shown that he can score in Boston (College). He needs to go to a team that will be content to let him be Eric Daze 2.0 instead of Keith Primeau Lite.

Beesfan 06-05-2009 06:36 AM

Sturm for a 2nd in this coming draft?

LordLucic* 06-05-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukyo (Post 19803482)
He's also shown that he can score in Boston (College). He needs to go to a team that will be content to let him be Eric Daze 2.0 instead of Keith Primeau Lite.

As a Boston College Hockey season ticket holder, I will tell you this right now Boyle was inconsistent at best and won't be better than a 3rd liner in the NHL IF that.

Dr Quincy 06-05-2009 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DapperDan (Post 19802571)

I didn't mean lesser than Boyle (who I don't really consider a prospect at this point... I think of him as a part time NHler who will bounce up and down to the A). I meant lesser as in not one of your blue chips.

Dr Quincy 06-05-2009 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukyo (Post 19803482)

Ever hear of Chris Collins? He is the same age as Boyle and played with him pretty much the same years at BC. Collins scored 63 goals in his 4 years at BC and Boyle scored 65.

Collins was once Bruins property. Would you deal a veteran 25-30 goal scorer right now for Chris Collins?

Of course Boyle is larger than Collins and has a better shot at an NHL career, but really.... we don't want him. He's 25 years old and can't beat out guys on a bad LA team. Who on Boston's roster can he beat out? And his pts per game in the AHL isn't as good as a 3 year younger Vlad Sobotka and a 4 year younger Brad Marchand. Trading for Boyle gives Providence a 3rd line center.

Are you willing to give up anything of value in exchange for a 3rd line center for Manchester?

JDM 06-05-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Quincy (Post 19808876)
Ever hear of Chris Collins? He is the same age as Boyle and played with him pretty much the same years at BC. Collins scored 63 goals in his 4 years at BC and Boyle scored 65.

Collins was once Bruins property. Would you deal a veteran 25-30 goal scorer right now for Chris Collins?

Of course Boyle is larger than Collins and has a better shot at an NHL career, but really.... we don't want him. He's 25 years old and can't beat out guys on a bad LA team. Who on Boston's roster can he beat out? And his pts per game in the AHL isn't as good as a 3 year younger Vlad Sobotka and a 4 year younger Brad Marchand. Trading for Boyle gives Providence a 3rd line center.

Are you willing to give up anything of value in exchange for a 3rd line center for Manchester?

To be fair the presumed idea behind anyone trading for Boyle is that they believe (as many in LA FERVENTLY do) that Boyle has been mishandled and miscast in LA's system. Anyone who would take on Boyle assumes that in their (ideally more offense first system) Boyle will thrive and turn a corner. Risk/reward, boom/bust. GM's do take chances now and again (not saying Boston would).

8BostonRocker24 06-05-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JDM (Post 19808947)
To be fair the presumed idea behind anyone trading for Boyle is that they believe (as many in LA FERVENTLY do) that Boyle has been mishandled and miscast in LA's system. Anyone who would take on Boyle assumes that in their (ideally more offense first system) Boyle will thrive and turn a corner. Risk/reward, boom/bust. GM's do take chances now and again (not saying Boston would).

Yes, but not at the expense of a top-6 winger and a top-4 defenseman.

Boston - St. Louis made a deal a few years back... Hannu Toivonen for Carl Soderberg. Two high end talents that have not panned out. The two teams traded failed prospects (Toivonen had proven more though) and thus far, neither has improved. Boyle is in the same class, the only advantage he has, is he plays in North America. But he's a bust at this point. It's been 6 years since he was a 1st round pick.

JDM 06-05-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8BostonRocker24 (Post 19809059)
Yes, but not at the expense of a top-6 winger and a top-4 defenseman.

Duh.

ukyo 06-05-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LordLucic (Post 19807537)
As a Boston College Hockey season ticket holder, I will tell you this right now Boyle was inconsistent at best and won't be better than a 3rd liner in the NHL IF that.

I'm not sure if I should be happy to have gotten a more authoritative opinion of him, or if I should be depressed that we could have had Corey "Owns Your Face" Perry instead.

Why don't you kick my dog or ask me how Jeff Tambellini is doing while you're at it?

JDM 06-05-2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ukyo (Post 19809421)
I'm not sure if I should be happy to have gotten a more authoritative opinion of him, or if I should be depressed that we could have had Corey "Owns Your Face" Perry instead.

Why don't you kick my dog or ask me how Jeff Tambellini is doing while you're at it?

Don't you ever wish Scary Perry on the Kings!

ukyo 06-05-2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Quincy (Post 19808876)

Fair enough, but I was merely pointing out that Boyle is likely being mishandled by the Kings. He has shown that he can score in limited time in the NHL and does have a decent two-way game; what the Kings feel he's lacking is some personality trait that seems absent from him. Until they let him play within what he has already shown he can do, we will never get a true idea of what he could become.

Hence the Eric Daze comparison: did Chicago bench him because he was softer than guys half his size? No, they made great use of that great shot and great hands and let him become a soft-for-his-size 40-goal-scorer. It's fairly obvious that the Kings will not settle for that, so I'd like to see another team give him a shot.