HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Jumping, Plyometrics and Explosiveness? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=648184)

BadHammy* 06-04-2009 09:05 PM

Jumping, Plyometrics and Explosiveness?

I've done some plyos off and on for a few months, and recently noticed something funny. I can stand and do a two footed jump and land on a table that is 32-33" above the ground, but my one-footed vertical is only approx 24". I'm 6'1" but have short arms. I'm a pretty fast skater with good leg strength. My question is, is this jumping difference normal or am I a bizarre freak?

noobman 06-04-2009 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MistaWrista (Post 19800068)
I've done some plyos off and on for a few months, and recently noticed something funny. I can stand and do a two footed jump and land on a table that is 32-33" above the ground, but my one-footed vertical is only approx 24". I'm 6'1" but have short arms. I'm a pretty fast skater with good leg strength. My question is, is this jumping difference normal or am I a bizarre freak?

I'm not an expert on jumping, but that sounds about normal considering that jumping uses more than just your leg muscles.

EmptyNetter 06-06-2009 07:21 PM

Quote:

I guess I don't know what you mean by a one footed vertical leap. Do you mean you drive upward with one bent knee while your rear leg stays straight? If so I'd expect your front foot to get more height than in a two footed jump -- in a 1-footed jump you can lean to give your driving foot an advantage. Could it be a difference in technique? Are you driving straight up or are you also leaping forward?

Mayor Bee 06-24-2009 02:01 AM

Quote:

This isn't uncommon in the least. The basic reason is that you're fairly stable on both feet; when you're jumping from two feet, the energy is (mostly) going straight up.

When you're standing on one foot, the body receives different feedback and undergoes a continuous series of adjustments since its primary job at that point is maintaining balance. Rather than being able to drive straight up, there's a lot of wasted motion and energy caused by the small muscles about the ankle and foot involuntarily contracting to maintain balance.

You'll also notice that if you do a bodyweight squat, chances are you can get much lower on two feet than on one; the balance thing is only partially to blame (the rest has to do with isometric strength throughout the leg).

190Octane 06-24-2009 01:57 PM

Quote:

I would think that would be expected. Can you curl or bench more weight with one arm or two? I would think it would be the same thing with two feet vs. one foot from a stand still.

Headcoach 06-24-2009 02:10 PM

Quote:

Nope, you are fine! It's like doing one arm push-ups. You can do more with both arms. However, I do have some drills you can use to help improve that one legged jump. PM me and I will send you some dry land training stuff. That is if I haven't sent it to you already.

Head coach

RandV 06-25-2009 02:38 PM

I'm kind of disappointed... I glanced at the thread title and thought it read "Jumping, Pyrotechnics, and Explosives" and immediately clicked on it.

BadHammy* 06-26-2009 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandV (Post 20049790)
I'm kind of disappointed... I glanced at the thread title and thought it read "Jumping, Pyrotechnics, and Explosives" and immediately clicked on it.

LOL. I think I will begin doing more 1 footed plyo's when I have the time!

Headcoach 06-27-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandV (Post 20049790)

Yeah me too. However, if you want that. go to my Facebook account and click on the videos. Start at the bottom.

http://www.facebook.com/inbox/index....82491&ref=name

Hope this helps!

Head coach

milkshow 06-27-2009 11:16 PM

Check out this link

http://www.playyourgame.com/quickness.html

CaptKirk 06-29-2009 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by liveforthegame (Post 20114152)

this stuff is gold

milkshow 06-30-2009 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptKirk (Post 20144857)
this stuff is gold

There's some other interesting articles on that site too, I just included some of those exercises in my workout.