HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Messier torn again (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=64876)

KING 03-25-2004 07:58 AM

Messier torn again

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/ho...p-153995c.html

Ranger Blue 03-25-2004 08:08 AM

Typical Messier. Wanting everyone to hang on the edge of their seats, begging him not to quit. Do us all a favor Mess and just go quietly away. Far, far away.

True Blue 03-25-2004 08:23 AM

Now I bashed him for a long time now, but at the end, Messier deserves a proper MSG send-off. He deserves one more than TGO deserved it.
The sad thing is that it always comes back to "IF". IF Messier was used in a proper 4th line role, he could be helpful. IF the coaches remembered that he was 43 and not 23 or even 33, then he would probably not log 18+ minutes a night. IF Messier did not forget that he was Captain first and Sather's friend secong, he could have helped out. Too many if's.

riz 03-25-2004 08:39 AM

Quote:

Messier said he wouldn't rule out a return to the Rangers simply to be part of the beginning of a long-term rebuilding he wouldn't be able to see to its completion.
Soooo......he'll be here next season then.

LondonFan 03-25-2004 09:50 AM

"what offers will be out there"

Go to EDM Marky-boy.

Melrose_Jr. 03-25-2004 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by True Blue
Now I bashed him for a long time now, but at the end, Messier deserves a proper MSG send-off.

It's really up to Sather to tell him whether he envisions him as part of the "plan" or not. If he doesn't, then Mark can say goodbye to the Ranger fans next Wednesday without having to making a final career decision.

Fletch 03-25-2004 10:00 AM

This season...

I don't know if I'd say if...he was 'mostly' in that role and performed 'mostly' well. We can complain about prospects not getting some ice time at times because of him (namely Lundmark), but Lundmark did go 28 games without a point - and I don't care who he played with, that's unacceptable.

And for the most part this season, Mess did play that fourth line. He had Simon and Barnaby as linemates - who he lost to get Eric revived, although after a game or two, Eric was on top of his game but kept those linemates - and Mess had DLac and Ortmeyer for some time too. It was a rare occasion that saw Mess with Rucinsky, Jagr or Kovalev. Heck, there were games in which Mess didn't come over the boards for the PP.

While overall I would've like to have seen him play about 2 minutes less, it was better than the 3+ more minutes he received in years past.

Ranger Blue 03-25-2004 10:07 AM

Amazing, no matter what the topic, you know who's name just HAS to come into it.

As for Messier, I didn't want him back period. He left the Rangers for the almighty dollar and no other reason. His love for the Rangers is measured in the size of his pay check from them, nothing else.

rangergiant 03-25-2004 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger Blue
Amazing, no matter what the topic, you know who's name just HAS to come into it.

As for Messier, I didn't want him back period. He left the Rangers for the almighty dollar and no other reason. His love for the Rangers is measured in the size of his pay check from them, nothing else.

If I did not love this team so much and throw away thousands of dollars every year watching them I would wish another curse on this team for the way so many fans treat and fell about mess. This way all you Mess bashers can contemplate you mistake over the next 50 years.

It could be his last 5 games we are about to witness. Try to enjoy them. I am hitting the road and plan to see them all.

Park #2 03-25-2004 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thebadguy
If I did not love this team so much and throw away thousands of dollars every year watching them I would wish another curse on this team for the way so many fans treat and fell about mess. This way all you Mess bashers can contemplate you mistake over the next 50 years.

It could be his last 5 games we are about to witness. Try to enjoy them.

Very true statement.

Ranger Blue 03-25-2004 11:35 AM

Quote:

Go ahead because knowing the Rangers, Messier will still be playing for them. :D

Just curious but how long are we suppose to kiss Mr. Messier's butt for 1994? And if I remember right he had a little help that year, you know Leetch, Graves, Richter... just to name a few.

Park #2 03-25-2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

Just curious but how long are we suppose to kiss Mr. Messier's butt for 1994? And if I remember right he had a little help that year, you know Leetch, Graves, Richter... just to name a few.

The guy is arguably in the top three centers to ever play the game. Of course he had help, just as he did with his other 5 cups. What does that mean? He signle handedly kept that team together at a time that it was ready to combust over internal issues.

Enjoy the remaining few games he has left. The Franchise should retire his number next week at his last game. An immediate retirement is called for.

rangergiant 03-25-2004 11:39 AM

Quote:

Go ahead because knowing the Rangers, Messier will still be playing for them. :D

Forever.

Ranger Blue 03-25-2004 11:41 AM

I'll let the Messier worshipers do that. ;)

Bluenote13 03-25-2004 11:42 AM

Quote:

Forever.

Are the other 5 posts you have just as detailed and in-depth?

rangergiant 03-25-2004 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Are the other 5 posts you have just as detailed and in-depth?

For the most part. How much depth do you want? It is an internet message board, not a thesis.

Bluenote13 03-25-2004 11:46 AM

Quote:

For the most part. How much depth do you want? It is an internet message board, not a thesis.

Oh right...damn...forgot...this is an internet message board...right......

Forechecker 03-25-2004 11:53 AM

Put me in the camp of I believe we should be grateful to the Messiah forever. He was the force behind the '94 team. Out early '90s teams were good, but he (and Keenan) pushed them over the top.

HOWEVER, it's time for him to go. Be gracious, follow Richter's model, and spend the next year fishing in Hilton Head.

Park #2 03-25-2004 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forechecker
Put me in the camp of I believe we should be grateful to the Messiah forever. He was the force behind the '94 team. Out early '90s teams were good, but he (and Keenan) pushed them over the top.

HOWEVER, it's time for him to go. Be gracious, follow Richter's model, and spend the next year fishing in Hilton Head.

Keenan almost destroyed that team in the end. Messier held it together, specifically in the NJD. I am talking about off the ice.

Ranger Blue 03-25-2004 12:05 PM

Give him a night at MSG if you want, just warn me so I don't have to watch him stand up there and cry. :cry:

rangergiant 03-25-2004 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenote13
Oh right...damn...forgot...this is an internet message board...right......

Where are you going with this? Easily among the strangest attacks I have ever seen launched in this sort of forum. I just don't see what you are getting at.

Park #2 03-25-2004 12:09 PM

Quote:

Give him a night at MSG if you want, just warn me so I don't have to watch him stand up there and cry. :cry:

Simply amazing. I won't even bother to keep this going.

Ranger Blue 03-25-2004 12:14 PM

Amazing? Thank you :D

Sorry Park, that was probably mean but I'm sick of Mark Messier. I was sick of him last year, I was sick of him the year before. AND I got totally sick of him when he reacted the way he did with Leetch being traded. Leetch took it like a pro, Mess wihned and cried and let it be known he wouldn't take a trade. Then he starts babbling about he was only here to win a cup and to play with Leetch. He wasn't concerned about the Rangers, he was concerned with Mark Messier.

Park #2 03-25-2004 12:22 PM

Quote:

Amazing? Thank you :D

Sorry Park, that was probably mean but I'm sick of Mark Messier. I was sick of him last year, I was sick of him the year before. AND I got totally sick of him when he reacted the way he did with Leetch being traded. Leetch took it like a pro, Mess wihned and cried and let it be known he wouldn't take a trade. Then he starts babbling about he was only here to win a cup and to play with Leetch. He wasn't concerned about the Rangers, he was concerned with Mark Messier.

Well, I understand if your criticize him for the reaction at the deadline. However, Leetch has done more *****ing in two weeks in Toronto then Messier has in 5 years in NY. Leetch has only really talked to a couple reporters about his feelings, but to other "hockey people" he has really been whining. It surprises me, because I would have guessed the thrill at chasing another cup would have outweighed the poor way that Sather handled his trade. I suspect he might really unload on the NYR (specifically Sather) this summer.

I just think Messier was the biggest reason why the Rangers even have the '94 cup to their credit. He delivered in a way that most players that have come to the NYR since 1940 never were able to. In addition, he is one of the greatest to ever play the game. I would hope that all fans recognize that, specifically the ones whom he delivered the most for.

Park #2 03-25-2004 12:23 PM

[QUOTE=Park #2]Well, I understand if your criticize him for the reaction at the deadline. However, Leetch has done more *****ing in two weeks in Toronto then Messier has in 5 years in NY. QUOTE]

Sorry, I meant last 4 years.