HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   All other USA Amateur, USHL, NAHL, USNTDP etc. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   NAHL and USHL Expansion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=649784)

JorgeRocks! 06-10-2009 06:28 PM

NAHL and USHL Expansion

Will they be adding any new teams for this season, in 2010, or 2011? Thanks much

ItsCalledBruins 06-15-2009 03:13 PM

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/local/...keyleague.html

That was reported back in May and I cannot find anything new about it. I hope it happens though. Huntington is about twenty minutes from where I live.

He Lied to Mario 11-26-2009 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JorgeRocks! (Post 19868591)
Will they be adding any new teams for this season, in 2010, or 2011? Thanks much

The USHL is going back into Dubuque, Iowa for next year, not sure if they are adding another team as well.

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=263960

Spike777 12-10-2009 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by He Lied to Mario (Post 22323489)
The USHL is going back into Dubuque, Iowa for next year, not sure if they are adding another team as well.

http://www.thonline.com/article.cfm?id=263960

It will be great to have Dubuque back in the league.
I root for the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders so having another nearby rival is always fun. I'm sure they will add another team soon after to even out the number of teams.

MeHateHe 12-11-2009 11:27 AM

The NAHL is expanding to Canada

The Dawson Creek (BC) Rage will join the NAHL in September, 2010.

http://dcrage.com/pdf/DCRage-Press%2...-Dec7-2009.pdf

The city of Dawson Creek is a significant investor in the club, putting up a quarter million in the first year alone.

I ain't no business genius, but I'm strugging to find out how this works for anyone. I suppose having the taxpayer support you helps a lot, but Dawson Creek is a smallish community a long way away from any other team in the league. I'm assuming teams will fly in and play two, but flying into Dawson Creek in January isn't exactly the most assured landing ever.

sbkbghockey 12-17-2009 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeHateHe (Post 22595801)
The Dawson Creek (BC) Rage will join the NAHL in September, 2010.

http://dcrage.com/pdf/DCRage-Press%2...-Dec7-2009.pdf

The city of Dawson Creek is a significant investor in the club, putting up a quarter million in the first year alone.

I ain't no business genius, but I'm strugging to find out how this works for anyone. I suppose having the taxpayer support you helps a lot, but Dawson Creek is a smallish community a long way away from any other team in the league. I'm assuming teams will fly in and play two, but flying into Dawson Creek in January isn't exactly the most assured landing ever.

yeah not liking the Dawson Creek addition. if i was an investor up there i'd look into a local canadian Jr A league or even major Jr. hockey. But thats really far from other NAHL teams. I checked a map and they're 6.5 hrs NW of Edmonton (and no interstates) let alone the weather during the NAHL season.

wjhl2009fan 12-17-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbkbghockey (Post 22706695)
yeah not liking the Dawson Creek addition. if i was an investor up there i'd look into a local canadian Jr A league or even major Jr. hockey. But thats really far from other NAHL teams. I checked a map and they're 6.5 hrs NW of Edmonton (and no interstates) let alone the weather during the NAHL season.

Major junior would be a gamble travel a side it cost $$$ to run a major jr team.To make a major jr team to work they would have to get solid crowds and have a boat load of sponcers and backers.While i don't think the nahl is a good move major jr would also not be a good move.The bc jr a league would have been the best choice and i think not much of a gamble.With that said i don't think running the nahl team with travel will be cheap and i think it is a gamble and i hope it works out.

MeHateHe 12-17-2009 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wjhl2009fan (Post 22707873)
Major junior would be a gamble travel a side it cost $$$ to run a major jr team.To make a major jr team to work they would have to get solid crowds and have a boat load of sponcers and backers.While i don't think the nahl is a good move major jr would also not be a good move.The bc jr a league would have been the best choice and i think not much of a gamble.With that said i don't think running the nahl team with travel will be cheap and i think it is a gamble and i hope it works out.

The WHL is never going to Dawson Creek. The BCHL has no interest in going any further north than they already are and I'd bet there are four or five teams that would be happy if Quesnel and Prince George left altogether. Having said that, I am a little surprised that Hockey Canada and BC Hockey are okay with a US league setting up shop in a Canadian community, especially one that is not a border community. If this works, it might be more feasible for Fort St. John, Grande Prairie and Prince George to put teams into a fly-in league than in domestic leagues.

I am most surprised there are no taxpayers in Dawson Creek raising a stink about shelling out what are not inconsiderable sums for a small community.

KingLB 12-23-2009 07:20 PM

In continuing with teams that are no where near the rest, I believe the Fresno Monsters (of the WSHL) will be joining the league (NAHL) next year....

puckguy11 01-31-2010 11:22 PM

I can speak that Austin, MN will be getting a NAHL team (That marks 3 SE MN teams that have NAHL teams along with Owatonna and Albert Lea).

TCNorthstars 02-01-2010 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puckguy11 (Post 23552992)
I can speak that Austin, MN will be getting a NAHL team (That marks 3 SE MN teams that have NAHL teams along with Owatonna and Albert Lea).

Do you think that Albert Lea will still be around next year? How is the pay to play scandle working out?

EbencoyE 02-01-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fleshyheadedmutant (Post 19927698)
http://www.huntingtonnews.net/local/...keyleague.html

That was reported back in May and I cannot find anything new about it. I hope it happens though. Huntington is about twenty minutes from where I live.

I grew up in Huntington. Would be great to see a team there again. The USHL is good stuff too.

sbkbghockey 02-09-2010 03:28 PM

http://www.fox17online.com/news/fox-...,6160572.story

Muskegon Lumberjacks IHL franchise folding, USHL franchise will begin next season.

CascadianHockeyFan 02-15-2010 02:12 PM

I want to see how the NAHL does divisions with the Fresno Monsters and Dawson Creek coming into play next season. Fresno to Wenatchee is probably a 19 hour drive, let alone Dawson Creek, or the Alaskan teams.

sbkbghockey 02-24-2010 04:31 PM

More NAHL expansion:

Austin MN http://www.nahl.com/news/story.cfm?id=1407

and it looks like Onalaska WI is close to joining as well http://www.lacrossetribune.com/sport...cc4c002e0.html

takehisheadoff 03-01-2010 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MeHateHe (Post 22712854)
The WHL is never going to Dawson Creek. The BCHL has no interest in going any further north than they already are and I'd bet there are four or five teams that would be happy if Quesnel and Prince George left altogether. Having said that, I am a little surprised that Hockey Canada and BC Hockey are okay with a US league setting up shop in a Canadian community, especially one that is not a border community. If this works, it might be more feasible for Fort St. John, Grande Prairie and Prince George to put teams into a fly-in league than in domestic leagues.

I am most surprised there are no taxpayers in Dawson Creek raising a stink about shelling out what are not inconsiderable sums for a small community.

Not to be an anti towards the people in Dawson Creek But you hit the nail on the head with this one MeHate.

This will never work for more than a season if it even lasts that. Obviously they are flying every team in but they must have to subsidize some of these teams. Dawson Creek has a population of 15,000 according to Wikipedia. So to give them the benefit of the doubt they will be lucky to get 1,000 a game. And if the team starts playing bad the attendance will drop.

They tried something like this 10 years ago in Whitehorse same sort of scenerio with teams in Alaska and the Southern US. It was back then the WSHL and 3 of those Alaskan teams now in the NAHL. Fairbanks, Wasilla, and Kenai all played in the league (different names then minus the Ice Dogs) Even with a good team. Busing to most of the Alaskan games and putting as many locals on the team as possible (this will be harder for Dawson Creek at a higher level of hockey). It was un doable financially at one point even averaging almost 1,000 fans a game and having sponsers. And Whitehorse has about 10,000 more people in it than Dawson Creek.

Unless these investors like losing money. This will be a big time fail. I wish it would happen for them but I also wish I could fly and be in bed with Megan Fox sometimes I think I have a better chance with my wishes than DC does with a team:amazed:

belldog 03-02-2010 02:46 PM

I keep hearing a rumor about the Chicago area nailing down a NAHL team. Anyone hear the same ?

sbkbghockey 03-02-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takehisheadoff (Post 24209877)
Not to be an anti towards the people in Dawson Creek But you hit the nail on the head with this one MeHate.

This will never work for more than a season if it even lasts that. Obviously they are flying every team in but they must have to subsidize some of these teams. Dawson Creek has a population of 15,000 according to Wikipedia. So to give them the benefit of the doubt they will be lucky to get 1,000 a game. And if the team starts playing bad the attendance will drop.

They tried something like this 10 years ago in Whitehorse same sort of scenerio with teams in Alaska and the Southern US. It was back then the WSHL and 3 of those Alaskan teams now in the NAHL. Fairbanks, Wasilla, and Kenai all played in the league (different names then minus the Ice Dogs) Even with a good team. Busing to most of the Alaskan games and putting as many locals on the team as possible (this will be harder for Dawson Creek at a higher level of hockey). It was un doable financially at one point even averaging almost 1,000 fans a game and having sponsers. And Whitehorse has about 10,000 more people in it than Dawson Creek.

Unless these investors like losing money. This will be a big time fail. I wish it would happen for them but I also wish I could fly and be in bed with Megan Fox sometimes I think I have a better chance with my wishes than DC does with a team:amazed:

Totally agree, I think it is going to be an epic fail. DC is just way too out there, it sounds like from earlier discussions even from Canadian Jr A and Major Jr hockey.

Quote:

Originally Posted by belldog (Post 24228272)
I keep hearing a rumor about the Chicago area nailing down a NAHL team. Anyone hear the same ?

Yeah, it was announced a couple months ago I believe. Chicago Hitmen
http://www.chicagohitmenhockey.com/

MeHateHe 03-04-2010 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takehisheadoff (Post 24209877)

My understanding is that the city has made a three-year commitment to the team, and that it was done to secure an anchor tenant for their facility, something they promised Encana as part of their arena naming rights deal.

I'm all for people being bold and aggressive; unfortunately in this case, they're doing it with the money of the taxpayers of Dawson Creek.

Starsfan24 03-08-2010 07:18 PM

New NAHL Teams coming into play next year:

Aberdeen Wings
Austin Bruins
Chicago Hitmen
Coulee Region Chill
Dawson Creek Rage
Fresno Monsters

Hotsauce 03-11-2010 09:33 AM

2 New USHL Teams coming into play next year

Dubuque Fighting Saints

Muskegon Lumberjacks

Anymore??

Rabid Husky 03-12-2010 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotsauce (Post 24433081)
2 New USHL Teams coming into play next year

Dubuque Fighting Saints

Muskegon Lumberjacks

Anymore??

No, that'll give the league 16 teams, which is plenty.

sbkbghockey 03-12-2010 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabid Husky (Post 24453566)
No, that'll give the league 16 teams, which is plenty.

I think they're done expanding this season.

I wouldnt mind a few other teams, especially a couple of the top NAHL teams Like the St. Louis Bandits move to the USHL. maybe have a nice even 20 teams for 2011-2012.

mfosterftw 03-12-2010 11:54 AM

20 teams for 2011 would be a serious stretch, and 18 might even be difficult. The USHL is taking some pride in their slow & steady expansion strategy, and are reaching a point where concerns over depth of the talent pool is starting to trickle out in comments by team and league officials.

I have little doubt that the USHL wants to reach 20, but unlike the NAHL and the minor leagues they aren't going to grab markets just because they can (e.g., a Flint or Port Huron should the IHL collapse). They want their expansion to be a deliberate and strategic process.

Tornado OS 03-26-2010 05:06 PM

With all the expansion in the NAHL, I am curious how the divisions are going to stack up. All the teams are in the north area and only really leaves 3 teams south, Topeka, Texas, Wichita Falls. Springfield and St. Louis are in the South Division but those teams play an unbalanced schedule and play teams from the North, while Texas, Topeka and Wichita Falls plays each other a lot of times. Be nice to see a few more teams that actually play the Southern Teams.