HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   GDT: Predators @ Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=65004)

Basher 03-25-2004 05:18 PM

GDT: Predators @ Rangers

Rags are without Messier, who has always played us tough. If we lose, I say we tank the rest of them, if we win, we struggle and survive. Thats what its about right now, surviving, not dropping, just gettin' it done, ugly or not.

Basher 03-25-2004 05:22 PM

Nashville (34-28-11-3)(82) at NY Rangers (25-37-7-8)

Game Info: 6:30 pm CST Thursday Mar 25, 2004
TV: FSN, MSG

If the Nashville Predators plan on making the playoffs for the first time in franchise history, leaving Madison Square Garden with a victory is critical.
The slumping Predators continue their pursuit of a postseason berth when they face the New York Rangers, losers of seven straight.

With less than two weeks left in the regular season, Nashville, Edmonton, St. Louis and Los Angeles are battling for the final two playoff spots in the Western Conference. The Predators are one point ahead of the ninth-place Blues, but have played one more game than St. Louis.

Opening a stretch of five straight games against non-playoff teams, Nashville suffered a 4-1 home loss to Anaheim on Tuesday.

Scott Walker scored his team-leading 24th goal for the Predators, who failed to record their franchise-record 35th victory. Nashville has one win in nine games (1-4-3-1).

With his team outshot 18-7 in the second period alone, Predators goalie Tomas Vokoun couldn't explain his team's lack of emotion.

``I wish I knew. We were sorely mistaken if we thought they were just going to pack it in and let us win, because nobody's going to do that,'' Vokoun said.

Part of Nashville's problem lately has been an ineffective power play. That unit was 1-for-9 Tuesday, and is 1-for-17 over the past four games.

``They did a good job penalty killing, but on our power play, we seemed to not take what they were giving us,'' Predators coach Barry Trotz said. ``We were determined to make some plays that just weren't there. We were trying to make something out of nothing and that is not how a power play works.''

Assured of missing the playoffs for the seventh consecutive season, the Rangers' losing streak reached seven (0-4-0-3) with a 5-2 defeat to visiting Pittsburgh on Tuesday.

Jaromir Jagr and Thomas Pock, playing in his first NHL game, scored for New York, 2-8-0-4 in its last 14.

The Rangers signed Pock from the University of Massachusetts on Tuesday and put him right in the lineup. Pock, 22, is a finalist for the Hobey Baker Award, given annually to the nation's top college player.

``Obviously, when you're growing up you dream about going to the NHL and when you score your first goal, so I'm happy, and on the same day I'm signing, so its nice,'' Pock said.

The Rangers will be without captain Mark Messier on Thursday while he serves the finale of his two-game suspension for spearing Pittsburgh's Martin Strbak on Sunday.

Basher 03-25-2004 05:23 PM

Lets get back into support-mode and join in the chat.

Preds In-Game Chat

Jarnberg 03-25-2004 07:22 PM

Lets go boys, get a huge win and help to finish the season strong!

golfmade 03-25-2004 08:13 PM

A trip away from home in the big apple could help do some good.

Basher 03-25-2004 08:23 PM

2-1 at the end of the first...goals by Zidlicky and Eaton. Eaton said a pigeon pooped on him yesterday, so he scores today. Keep that bird around!

SmokeyClause 03-25-2004 08:52 PM

God I hope we don't resign Johnson. Am I the only one who hasn't like the way he's played recently? Now that play was a good deal of bad luck as well, but to me, he's just not a captain. You'd think that since we have shed our expansion label, we'd shed an expansion-esque captain.

SmokeyClause 03-25-2004 09:08 PM

Bad news is we're tied. The Good news is we should be up 6-2 right now. Dunham has made spectacular saves to keep them in it. You know those where you are flailing and the puck finds you and trickles wide? This just seems to be his game. If we keep getting chances like this, one will surely go in.

golfmade 03-25-2004 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
God I hope we don't resign Johnson. Am I the only one who hasn't like the way he's played recently? Now that play was a good deal of bad luck as well, but to me, he's just not a captain. You'd think that since we have shed our expansion label, we'd shed an expansion-esque captain.

Agreed. I love Johnson, but it's time for him to go, and it's time for the Preds to get a new captain.

golfmade 03-25-2004 09:30 PM

Johansson!!!

And Walker now the most points by a Pred!!! :handclap: :handclap:

Jarnberg 03-25-2004 09:31 PM

Comeon boys, we REALLY need this one!

Congrats to Walker for his little milestone!

golfmade 03-25-2004 09:55 PM

Very important win on the road... now cmon DUCKS!!!!

Jarnberg 03-25-2004 09:56 PM

HUGE HUGE HUGE win for the Preds!!!

McAllister is a punk

SmokeyClause 03-25-2004 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by csstranger
McAllister is a punk

Sutter and Calgary could take notes on how the Preds responded. The put Zholtok, Hnidy, Tootoo, McKenzie, and York out there on the ensueing faceoff. Once the puck was dropped and the Rangers showed no signs of aggressiveness, the Preds skated over to Vokoun and hugged him. We had much more of a reason to attack them than the Flames did us, but we took the high road.

I am just glad Sullivan is OK.

Jarnberg 03-25-2004 10:00 PM

Quote:

Sutter and Calgary could take notes on how the Preds responded. The put Zholtok, Hnidy, Tootoo, McKenzie, and York out there on the ensueing faceoff. Once the puck was dropped and the Rangers showed no signs of aggressiveness, the Preds skated over to Vokoun and hugged him. We had much more of a reason to attack them than the Flames did us, but we took the high road.

Exactly, glad the Preds didn't thug it up...

lstcyr 03-25-2004 10:04 PM

Anyone know why Hamhuis didn't play?

golfmade 03-25-2004 10:05 PM

Ugh ducks just gave up another goal, Blues lead 3-2 :mad:

jstreet 03-25-2004 10:06 PM

funniest part of the game- Vokoun throwing a fit after the first goal that he allowed.

best part of the game- Zidlicky getting one past Dunham.

SmokeyClause 03-25-2004 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golfmade
Ugh ducks just gave up another goal, Blues lead 3-2 :mad:

As if you didn't know the Ducks would stop playing good just after they got done with us.

predhead1 03-25-2004 10:18 PM

Looks like Trotz' decision to put AJ between Walks and Sullivan paid off nicely. Good call, hopefully they'll keep it up.

PredsFan77* 03-25-2004 10:19 PM

Quote:

I would have liked to see York fight someone with that cage he had on...

triggrman 03-25-2004 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predhead1
Looks like Trotz' decision to put AJ between Walks and Sullivan paid off nicely. Good call, hopefully they'll keep it up.

That benefits both lines. Legwand really seems to fit with Erat and Orszagh

golfmade 03-25-2004 10:23 PM

Quote:

As if you didn't know the Ducks would stop playing good just after they got done with us.

One can still dream.

predhead1 03-25-2004 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman
That benefits both lines. Legwand really seems to fit with Erat and Orszagh

Good to hear. That might end up being our best defensive line as well.

golfmade 03-25-2004 10:39 PM

Cmon Sharks!