HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   congrats to Jed Ortmeyer! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=65029)

in the hall 03-25-2004 07:38 PM

congrats to Jed Ortmeyer!

for winning the Steven Mcdonald Extra Effort award as voted by the fans to the player that goes above and beyond the call of duty.

well deserved?? absolutely, great choice

side note, sather just can't get a break :D.. those were some heavey boos i heard...

Petemo 03-25-2004 07:39 PM

ghaha i heard them too, good job jed!

Park #2 03-25-2004 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall
for winning the Steven Mcdonald Extra Effort award as voted by the fans to the player that goes above and beyond the call of duty.

well deserved?? absolutely, great choice

side note, sather just can't get a break :D.. those were some heavey boos i heard...

CONGRATS to LI Ranger fan!

I thought the Boos when McDonald was barely making it through the speech were classless.

I also thought to announce Jed Ortmeyer as "The Future of the Franchise" is either very incorrect or very very disconcerting.

Son of Steinbrenner 03-25-2004 07:41 PM

congrats to ortmeyer. perhaps if he played with two better linemates this season he would have more points ;)

Petemo 03-25-2004 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park #2

I thought the Boos when McDonald was barely making it through the speech were classless.

I also thought to announce Jed Ortmeyer as "The Future of the Franchise" is either very incorrect or very very disconcerting.

i agree, the boos were classless. jed is a piece of the future, but certainly not a BIG part.

nyr5186 03-25-2004 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by in the hall

Just like Jed, it was well deserved.

Broadway Blueshirts 03-25-2004 07:43 PM

Classless is keeping Sather on the payroll. BOO THAT MAN AND BOO HIM LOUD. I'll boo him at church, at a funeral I don't give a crap. FIRE HIM NOW!

majicpixie 03-25-2004 07:43 PM

That's really great! Congrats to Jed! :handclap:

Forechecker 03-25-2004 07:44 PM

I agree with you, Park. I posted as such in the other thread.

in the hall 03-25-2004 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadway Blueshirts
Classless is keeping Sather on the payroll. BOO THAT MAN AND BOO HIM LOUD. I'll boo him at church, at a funeral I don't give a crap. FIRE HIM NOW!

that made me laugh :p

ddheyman 03-25-2004 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
congrats to ortmeyer. perhaps if he played with two better linemates this season he would have more points ;)

Perhaps if he buried his numerous point blank chances he'd have more points ... don't get me wrong, I like jed just as much as the next guy, but he has had 20 or 30 point blank, alone in front with the goalie, and nothing. He is a solid third or fourth liner, who will be on the penalty kill. Someone we want on the team, but not a scorer ... which is fine, but lets not make him out to be the next graves.

RangersFan 03-25-2004 08:00 PM

Was listening to the pregame ceremonies on WFAN while I was in the drive through at McDonalds. People must have thought I was nuts laughing when I heard the boos...

kickice 03-25-2004 08:01 PM

Congrats to Jed!

Hope the booing didn't spoil his moment!

nyr5186 03-25-2004 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangersFan
Was listening to the pregame ceremonies on WFAN while I was in the drive through at McDonalds. People must have thought I was nuts laughing when I heard the boos...

It wasnt the boos that made me laugh. It was the eery silence which followed the boos, and then some fan screaming out "I HATE YOU GLEN SATHER"! And then watching Stephen MacDonald and his family try hold back the laughter.

Ranger Blue 03-25-2004 09:19 PM

Congrats to Jed but you won't convince me the vote wasn't rigged by Ranger Management. I mean, no Leetch, no Barnaby. Just WHAT did Jed do off the ice to deserve it? For that matter on the ice. I love the guy too but other than blocking shots, why did he deserve it?

pld459666 03-25-2004 09:24 PM

If they were booing Steven McDonald

Quote:

Originally Posted by Park #2

That would have been classless, but they were booing the mention of Sathers name.

The wife got a kick out of it and it looked like Steven was going to say something clever so it's not a big deal.

As for Ortmeyer and the future of the franchise? a little over the top, but there's not been one Stanley Cup winner that hasn't had a player like Ortmeyer on the team.

A solid defensive player that by mistake will start to score about 10 goals a year. Look at Kris Draper, a part time player in the NHL for his first 4-5 years and he's a very good player (with this year being an annomoly) and while it would be great to have another Draper (which I doubt) a poor mans version of Draper is a nice thing to have.

Broadway Blueshirts 03-25-2004 09:25 PM

It has nothing to do with off the ice. The award is for the player who puts out the best effort on the ice and if you don't think Ortmeyer played with more heart than anyone else this year then you're not watching close enough.

in the hall 03-25-2004 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger Blue
Congrats to Jed but you won't convince me the vote wasn't rigged by Ranger Management. I mean, no Leetch, no Barnaby. Just WHAT did Jed do off the ice to deserve it? For that matter on the ice. I love the guy too but other than blocking shots, why did he deserve it?

"goes above and beyond the call of duty"

i'd say he fits the bill.... leetch and barnaby are no longer on the team, i think simon would have won it.. he deserves it, it shouldn't be a knock against him that those players did not get it, he was just the next highest voted for

Ranger Blue 03-25-2004 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Broadway Blueshirts
It has nothing to do with off the ice. The award is for the player who puts out the best effort on the ice and if you don't think Ortmeyer played with more heart than anyone else this year then you're not watching close enough.

NOTHING to do with off the ice??? Really? Then why did Adam Graves win it 5 times? Most of which were when people on message boards were calling for him to be traded? It has EVERYTHING to do with off the ice performance as well as on the ice.

I knew my opinion would be unpopular because Jed is a fan favorite. I just feel the voting was rigged. You can't tell me Leetch or Barnaby didn't get more votes.

Park #2 03-25-2004 09:40 PM

Quote:

NOTHING to do with off the ice??? Really? Then why did Adam Graves win it 5 times? Most of which were when people on message boards were calling for him to be traded? It has EVERYTHING to do with off the ice performance as well as on the ice.

I knew my opinion would be unpopular because Jed is a fan favorite. I just feel the voting was rigged. You can't tell me Leetch or Barnaby didn't get more votes.

I can't imagine they'd award a player on another team... Don't you have to be a Ranger by default?

Ranger Blue 03-25-2004 09:45 PM

If you do then it's a bogus award considering the others played 95% of the year with the team. Hell, if it had to be a CURRENT Ranger I would have given it to Messier before Ortmeyer.

Park #2 03-25-2004 09:47 PM

Quote:

If you do then it's a bogus award considering the others played 95% of the year with the team. Hell, if it had to be a CURRENT Ranger I would have given it to Messier before Ortmeyer.

I agree - he was my pick.

I would think you need to be a Ranger by default... The Organization wouldn't honor someone they traded - it'd be very awkward.

Ranger Blue 03-25-2004 09:59 PM

I guess...could be worse I guess. B.T.W.

Quote:

I also thought to announce Jed Ortmeyer as "The Future of the Franchise" is either very incorrect or very very disconcerting
I couldn't agree more, on EITHER point. The fact the fans booed at the end of the game is pretty sad as well. Fans scream for a rebuild then boo when it happens. Typical.

Park #2 03-25-2004 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pld459666
That would have been classless, but they were booing the mention of Sathers name.

The wife got a kick out of it and it looked like Steven was going to say something clever so it's not a big deal.

As for Ortmeyer and the future of the franchise? a little over the top, but there's not been one Stanley Cup winner that hasn't had a player like Ortmeyer on the team.

A solid defensive player that by mistake will start to score about 10 goals a year. Look at Kris Draper, a part time player in the NHL for his first 4-5 years and he's a very good player (with this year being an annomoly) and while it would be great to have another Draper (which I doubt) a poor mans version of Draper is a nice thing to have.

I know they were booing Sather - it was just an inopportune time to do it in my view, that's all.

CrookedRain 03-25-2004 11:05 PM

Congrats to Jed. I know I voted for him. He played hard night in and night out and that's what the Steven MacDonald award is about. Barney would've been a great choice as well.