HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Is the unthinkable possible? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=65050)

plafleur10 03-25-2004 08:23 PM

Is the unthinkable possible?

I know I'll get chastized for this, but I am sure a lot of us will breathe easier when the Habs get the missing point and clinch their palyoff spot for good. Are others honest enough to admit that, like me, they are nervously biting their nails?

Aarex 03-25-2004 08:37 PM

yes i am

I wish CJ would stop "experimenting" until we lock down that spot.

fufonzo 03-25-2004 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by plafleur10
I know I'll get chastized for this, but I am sure a lot of us will breathe easier when the Habs get the missing point and clinch their palyoff spot for good. Are others honest enough to admit that, like me, they are nervously biting their nails?

Are you kidding me? You know what the odds are that we dont make the playoffs? Islanders have to win 2 of 5 and the Sabres have to win all 6 and we have to lose the rest of our games (in regulation time) and even with that scenario it'll be a tie, and we have a much better +/- than buffalo (i have no idea what the tie-breaker rule is but i figure it has something to do with that :dunno: ) statistically speaking (w/o taking the islanders into account or taking ties into account) the odds are 1/1024 that the habs do not make the playoff [(0.5)^6 gms left for the sabres x (0.5)^4 gms left for the habs].

If anyone knows the tie-breaker rule, could u please post it? Thanks! :D

Natural Habs Fan 03-25-2004 08:47 PM

I think it's wins then goal differential (GF-GA=GD)

loudi94 03-25-2004 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natural Habs Fan
I think it's wins then goal differential (GF-GA=GD)

Wins, which would be tied
Head to head- Buffalo wins.

HABit 03-25-2004 09:09 PM

I think the tie-breaker rule goes by the season series which in that case Buffalo would win if they were tied for points.

Raider917 03-25-2004 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HABit
I think the tie-breaker rule goes by the season series which in that case Buffalo would win if they were tied for points.

Im not overly worried yet. i kew a loss could happen again tonight. i think saturday against boston will be a win. i have a lot more confidence going into in that game than i did with either buffalo or ottawa.

montreal 03-25-2004 09:30 PM

I'm not worried. Yet. The wheels would have to completely fall of the bus in order not to make the playoffs.

AlexandreTheNotSoGreat 03-25-2004 10:24 PM

Buffalo has a pretty easy schedule of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Columbus, and NYR in addition to the Habs.

The habs have Boston, NYI, Philly, and Buffalo. A lot tougher schedule, so it's possible that the habs may not win any of those games. However, it highly likely Montreal will get at least 1 point in a 4 game span, or buffalo will lose at least 1 point in their 5 remaining games.

Guy Caballero 03-25-2004 10:27 PM

Get real, folks. The odds of the Habs missing the playoffs at this point are about 10,000-1.

Jacques Strappe 03-26-2004 10:29 AM

Quote:

This is dumb. This is me chastizing you. This is me leaving this thread because it's too dumb. :shakehead

Marc the Habs Fan 03-26-2004 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Guy Caballero
Get real, folks. The odds of the Habs missing the playoffs at this point are about 10,000-1.

heck, I think there's more of a chance Patrick Traverse will win the Norris next year en route to a HHOF career than the Habs somehow choking and not making the playoffs. :joker:

Darz 03-26-2004 10:33 AM

Quote:

I'm not nervous about it, but I hope we can get it out of the way quickly, so we as fans can focus on other things.

If we haven't cliched by next Saturday, then I'll start to worry.

jcpenny 03-26-2004 10:35 AM

I was looking at this, man do we have a tough schedule! Teams in the NHL were right to think that we would fold out and not make the playoffs. We proved them wrong and beat great teams but its not over! Man we still have, boston, buffalo,Philly,NYI. When will make the playoffs (cuz we will) we will be the most ready of all teams.

Buffalo has the easiest of the schedule its not even funny. They could go undefeated the rest of the way. We just need a tie guys cmon!

CoupeStanley 03-26-2004 10:36 AM

I feel confident right now... But if we loose our 2 next game, I'll stress for sure

plafleur10 03-27-2004 09:09 PM

It did not happen

Well, everybody, the unthikable did not happen, but Habs' last few games do not bode weel for the playoffs,the Bruins dominated us physically and with the flyers having problems in goal, it would not be surprising to see the Bruins finish #2 and earn their rematch with the Habs.

Koivu and Zenik in particular have ben absolutely pathetic the last 5 games, 0 points for Mr. Koivu...

jcpenny 03-27-2004 10:40 PM

Quote:

Well, everybody, the unthikable did not happen, but Habs' last few games do not bode weel for the playoffs,the Bruins dominated us physically and with the flyers having problems in goal, it would not be surprising to see the Bruins finish #2 and earn their rematch with the Habs.

Koivu and Zenik in particular have ben absolutely pathetic the last 5 games, 0 points for Mr. Koivu...

Having soft Perreault on their line is not helping either...