HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Habs to Flyers: Briere? Non meci.. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=651361)

HabsDood 06-15-2009 02:36 PM

Habs to Flyers: Briere? Non meci..

http://www.canoe.com/sports/nouvelle...15-131540.html

Seems like the Flyers called Bob, Bob said no way José..:)

Roulin 06-15-2009 02:39 PM

Good on Bob, if true! Still, I'd like to see the original source - "Selon les médias de Philadelphie" is pretty vague.

Fish on The Sand 06-15-2009 02:39 PM

good, Flyers can be stuck with that cintract fir the next 6 years.

McNasty 06-15-2009 02:40 PM

Habs are obviously going to make a serious push for Lecavalier, should they fail in that Briere could be a plan B but I don't really think the two teams make good trading partners unless its for the rights to Komisarek

Le depisteur 06-15-2009 02:40 PM

Poor Danielle...

:biglaugh:

Kriss E 06-15-2009 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by McNasty (Post 19927203)
Habs are obviously going to make a serious push for Lecavalier, should they fail in that Briere could be a plan B but I don't really think the two teams make good trading partners unless its for the rights to Komisarek

The Habs would never send the rights to Komisarek to Philly.

I also have a pretty hard time understanding why Gainey (or any other GM for that matter) would trade for a guy that refused to come here 2summers ago. Especially knowing the deal here was just as good as in Philly.

Briere is a big burden for you guys now and he's been more than just disappointing since joining your team.
To wherever you trade him, his value is pretty minimal.

JesusBouillon 06-15-2009 02:46 PM

Quote:

What do you mean "not good trading partners"? We have a 7th round pick. Not like Briere will get anything half-decent despite being a very good player. His contract is that bad and with the cap possibly going down next year I can't see any team taking him on.

Freaky Habs Fan 06-15-2009 02:46 PM

Best solution for Bob is to wait and see who he can get to centre our first line. Then, if he can't find anyone, Holmgren will still have Brière in his hands so Bob will be able to call him and have Brière for dirt cheap. If they don't give anything too much valuable for him, it could be good. The Habs need a #1 center and Brière might be small, but he's talented.

RC51 06-15-2009 02:47 PM

nobody wants that contract, not even for free.

RoyBoyCoy 06-15-2009 02:48 PM

YES! Someone show this to Flyers fans who seem to think we're gonna sell the farm for a smurf

JesusBouillon 06-15-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 19927329)
Best solution for Bob is to wait and see who he can get to centre our first line. Then, if he can't find anyone, Holmgren will still have Brière in his hands so Bob will be able to call him and have Brière for dirt cheap. If they don't give anything too much valuable for him, it could be good. The Habs need a #1 center and Brière might be small, but he's talented.

That's what I'm thinking too, a Plan C or D kind of thing. I'd rather have Briere with his monstruous cap hit than Koivu at a 4-4.5 cap hit. At least we know he'll produce.

hototogisu 06-15-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Les Flyers doivent alléger leur masse salariale et selon les médias de Philadelphie, ceux-ci se verront dans l'obligation de se tourner vers Simon Gagné, Joffrey Lupul ou bien Scott Hartnell afin de la réduire.
Man I'd kill to have Hartnell on the Habs.

CanadienErrant* 06-15-2009 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 19927329)

So, you think he would accept being traded to Montreal ? I doubt it !

Ottawa would be a good fit for him.

CanadienErrant* 06-15-2009 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hototogisu (Post 19927387)
Man I'd kill to have Hartnell on the Habs.

I would prefer Gagné, especially if Tanguay doesn't come back...

Can you imagine a Gagné-Lecavalier-Kovalev line ?

Kriss E 06-15-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusBouillon (Post 19927359)
That's what I'm thinking too, a Plan C or D kind of thing. I'd rather have Briere with his monstruous cap hit than Koivu at a 4-4.5 cap hit. At least we know he'll produce.

Euh no, I wouldn't.

To start, I strongly doubt Koivu's cap hit will be close to 4.5M. If he signs here, I expect it to be his last contract and it'll be front loaded.
Something like a 4year deal with a salary of 5-4-2-1, for a cap hit of 3M.

No way will Koivu sign for a cap hit of 4.5M, on any team for that matter. I'm ready to bet anything on that.

I'd also prefer to re-sign Koivu at a cheaper cap hit and keep our options open for Deadline this year.
I don't want Bob to lockup all the free cap space he'll have for the next couple of years because at the end of next year (or trade deadline) will be the time where we'll finally have a Superstar again.
His name : Ilya Kovalchuk.

Briere at a 6.5M cap hit for the next few years is going to be very crippling for any team.

Flyers will have a hard time getting rid of him and I'd much rather see them be forced to part ways with Gagné.
Chances are Biron will be out too since Emery is in.

That means the 2 main reasons why Briere signed in Philly would be gone (Gagmé & Biron)
:D

Born in 1909 06-15-2009 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesusBouillon (Post 19927359)

Actually, Saku has a better point per game average career-wise.

Freaky Habs Fan 06-15-2009 03:07 PM

Yeah, I'm pretty sure he would accept. He said we were second in the race and I believe him. Also, players needs to be where they are needed and liked. If he stays overthere, he will not like it because he'll be the problem, and nobody wants to be a problem...

Bud2790 06-15-2009 03:08 PM

They can dump us Simon Gagné :)

CanadienErrant* 06-15-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 19927499)
Euh no, I wouldn't.

To start, I strongly doubt Koivu's cap hit will be close to 4.5M. If he signs here, I expect it to be his last contract and it'll be front loaded.
Something like a 4year deal with a salary of 5-4-2-1, for a cap hit of 3M.

No way will Koivu sign for a cap hit of 4.5M, on any team for that matter. I'm ready to bet anything on that.

I'd also prefer to re-sign Koivu at a cheaper cap hit and keep our options open for Deadline this year.
I don't want Bob to lockup all the free cap space he'll have for the next couple of years because at the end of next year (or trade deadline) will be the time where we'll finally have a Superstar again.
His name : Ilya Kovalchuk.

Briere at a 6.5M cap hit for the next few years is going to be very crippling for any team.

Flyers will have a hard time getting rid of him and I'd much rather see them be forced to part ways with Gagné.
Chances are Biron will be out too since Emery is in.

That means the 2 main reasons why Briere signed in Philly would be gone (Gagmé & Biron)
:D

Biron is a UFA. So he's pretty much done in Philly. They gonna possibly try to keep Niitimaki, unless they grab a big fish like Khabibulin.

euphrates 06-15-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadienErrant (Post 19927419)

anytime :yo: imagine the pp wow

milkshow 06-15-2009 03:21 PM

In Bob we trust

shamrun 06-15-2009 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsDood (Post 19927137)
http://www.canoe.com/sports/nouvelle...15-131540.html

Seems like the Flyers called Bob, Bob said no way José..:)

They wanted him so bad so they got him, if i remember well bob offered a little more but without the ntc...

either case its a lesson for trigger happy gm during FA period.

Kriss E 06-15-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadienErrant (Post 19927661)
Biron is a UFA. So he's pretty much done in Philly. They gonna possibly try to keep Niitimaki, unless they grab a big fish like Khabibulin.

Their big fish is Emery.

Marksman 06-15-2009 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadienErrant (Post 19927419)

Not really. Habs cannot afford that. Add Markov and Hamrlik, and you have about 30 million tied on just 5 players.

Hackett 06-15-2009 03:44 PM

Quote:

briere still has 6 years to go in his deal. I might be interested in him if there were 2 years to go as a short term fix, but the habs really need to address the size issue especially at the centre position. You dont want to handicap yourself for 6 years with briere and the cap hit that comes with it especially when it doesnt address the weaknesses of the team. Besides that, I dont like the guy ;)