HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Ilya Kovalchuk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=651373)

Kriss E 06-15-2009 04:18 PM

Ilya Kovalchuk

I've been dreaming of this bringing this guy here for the past 2years.
Do you guys think Gainey should keep himself some cap space in order to try to bring him here at deadline (or next summer) if Waddell isn't capable of re-signing him??

Freaky Habs Fan 06-15-2009 04:26 PM

Maybe he can try to get him now. Gainey have to get a star forward...nomather which one who can play and isn't always injured. Kovalchuk would be great...but I don't know if he'll be available or not. If they can't re-sign him, they will trade him for sure...but keep money for him? I wouldn't...if, at the moment he'll be available, we have money, fine, but if we get someone this summer and don't have any more money, too bad...

Coach Brisebois* 06-15-2009 04:28 PM

We could only hope... one of the best players in the league is wasting away for a zombie franchise

milkshow 06-15-2009 04:29 PM

I wouldn't expect anything...

Habsolutely 06-15-2009 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan (Post 19927886)
Maybe he can try to get him now. Gainey have to get a star forward...nomather which one who can play and isn't always injured. Kovalchuk would be great...but I don't know if he'll be available or not. If they can't re-sign him, they will trade him for sure...but keep money for him? I wouldn't...if, at the moment he'll be available, we have money, fine, but if we get someone this summer and don't have any more money, too bad...

He still has another year in his contract.

Blind Gardien 06-15-2009 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 19927761)
Do you guys think Gainey should keep himself some cap space in order to try to bring him here at deadline (or next summer) if Waddell isn't capable of re-signing him??

No sense in saving the cap space. We're going to need it in a more immediate timeframe, and the odds of ever being able to use it on Kovalchuk are probably miniscule. In the unlikely event that he ever does become available, well, I reckon we can punt away enough contracts (sorry Roman) to help make some room. Better not to count on it though, and just try our best and use all our cap space without thinking of Kovalchuk (or any other Kovalchuk-like player).

Kriss E 06-15-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 19928300)
No sense in saving the cap space. We're going to need it in a more immediate timeframe, and the odds of ever being able to use it on Kovalchuk are probably miniscule. In the unlikely event that he ever does become available, well, I reckon we can punt away enough contracts (sorry Roman) to help make some room. Better not to count on it though, and just try our best and use all our cap space without thinking of Kovalchuk (or any other Kovalchuk-like player).

Why unlikely?? You expect him to re-sign there?? ATL doesn't have anybody else, so they can throw ridiculous money at him but for some reason I have little faith in him staying there.

Also, Gainey has always tried to keep himself a margin of around 2M during the season in case certain needs pop up and trades are required. So I'm pretty sure he'll save some cap space.

MTL-rules 06-15-2009 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 19928300)

I second that.

No need to waste money on players we don't need also, but saving cap space for such an hypothetical situation would be pretty useless... plus we would have another pathetic year.

Russian Warrior 06-15-2009 05:49 PM

That's a dream of mine too, but... I don't think it will happen.

Kriss E 06-15-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTL-rules (Post 19928735)
I second that.

No need to waste money on players we don't need also, but saving cap space for such an hypothetical situation would be pretty useless... plus we would have another pathetic year.

Kovalchuk has a 6.4M Cap hit.

By deadline if they're out of the POs and haven't gone anywhere in their negotiations, Kovalchuk will most likely be moved.

By that time, Kovalchuk's cap hit will probably be around 2M.

Keeping a 2M cap space doesn't mean we'll have a pathetic year, far from it.

You don't put all your hopes on obtaining a guy in a year that will possibly not even be available. But you also don't bar off the idea.

In my eyes, there's big chances Kovalchuk will test Free Agency and keeping the idea fresh in mind is not a bad move.

Monctonscout 06-15-2009 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 19927761)

I'd like to see the Habs make a run at him but it's not the sort of thing I'd worry about now.

Kriss E 06-15-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pam19 (Post 19929427)
There are so many events that must happen for this to become true that it is not worth the efforts.

You need:
  • Habs to be sure they would do the playoffs;
  • To have reasonable expectations (Great defense, Great goaler and good offense) to go far in the cup (Great defense would not be help by getting rid of Hammer);
  • Wadell would not exchange him unless he is out of the playoffs

So many things can happen...

We still don't know who are team will consist off, but let's say we ended up with the same team as this year except with 1year more of experience.
There's no reason to think we won't make the POs.

Kovalchuk doesn't have a NTC, therefore he has no say in where he ends up. Obviously, if I'm talking about Gainey making push for him at the deadline it's because we're in a decent-good position, not 14th in East.

Atlanta has made the POs once out of 10years. They never won 1 PO game. Unless they're able to bring in good players this summer, I have a hard time seeing them make the POs.

Many things have to happen, yes, but they're not unrealistic at all.

JHabs 06-15-2009 07:19 PM

Vinny and Kovy on the same line? *drools*

tinyzombies 06-15-2009 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 19929468)
Kovalchuk has a 6.4M Cap hit.

By deadline if they're out of the POs and haven't gone anywhere in their negotiations, Kovalchuk will most likely be moved.

By that time, Kovalchuk's cap hit will probably be around 2M.

Keeping a 2M cap space doesn't mean we'll have a pathetic year, far from it.

You don't put all your hopes on obtaining a guy in a year that will possibly not even be available. But you also don't bar off the idea.

In my eyes, there's big chances Kovalchuk will test Free Agency and keeping the idea fresh in mind is not a bad move.

We need Kovalchuk or we are doomed to mediocrity. Vinny does not bring the same game imo. Not sure who else would fill the gap in the coming years. We could probably trade for Vinny and wait for Kovy to be a UFA and keep building depth in the meantime?

Not sure we can afford to give up depth though. And the depth people would want would weaken us and force us to plug holes with UFA's wouldn't it?

Blind Gardien 06-15-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kriss E (Post 19928395)
Why unlikely?? You expect him to re-sign there?? ATL doesn't have anybody else, so they can throw ridiculous money at him but for some reason I have little faith in him staying there.

Also, Gainey has always tried to keep himself a margin of around 2M during the season in case certain needs pop up and trades are required. So I'm pretty sure he'll save some cap space.

Sure Gainey keeps himself some in-season margin. But I don't think Kovalchuk will be available, and if he ever is, we're talking more like $8-10M margin for many seasons beyond the trade deadline. That would be a lot of margin.

Anyway, yes, I expect Kovalchuk will sign in Atlanta. Isn't that everybody's default expectation? As you say, they should have the money. All sides make the right sounds. It's just a matter of gettin'er'done. And if the odds of him not signing there are 10-20-30% - pick your number - then I still don't think you hold out cap margin on a hypothetical wish. Take that 30% and divide it by 28 other teams. Or even just 10 teams if all your competitors are capped out and not saving the margin. Your odds of getting him are still too remote to actually formulate plans and budgets around.

Shabutie 06-15-2009 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 19930417)

Anyway, yes, I expect Kovalchuk will sign in Atlanta. Isn't that everybody's default expectation? As you say, they should have the money. All sides make the right sounds. It's just a matter of gettin'er'done. And if the odds of him not signing there are 10-20-30% - pick your number - then I still don't think you hold out cap margin on a hypothetical wish. Take that 30% and divide it by 28 other teams. Or even just 10 teams if all your competitors are capped out and not saving the margin. Your odds of getting him are still too remote to actually formulate plans and budgets around.

Why do you expect that? Kovy has said in the past that he is unhappy in Atlanta (on a non-winning team). Why do you think that you see him give no effort on so many nights? He's tired of being on a non-competitive team.

Carboneer 06-15-2009 11:34 PM

I've been wanting him for a looong time also. Forget Malkin, Crosby, Ovechkin, Datsyuk, Zetterberg, it aint gona happen. Next best, and by far = Kovalchuk. Id take him over Lecavalier any day, this guy on the point on the powerplay with Markov would be ****ing ridiculous. One-timer city, goal city.

DaHabMan 06-15-2009 11:53 PM

gainey can try as much as he wants but until waddell gets confirmation from ilya himself that he doesnt want to sign an extension, he isnt gonna be traded.

Blind Gardien 06-16-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shabutie (Post 19932016)
Why do you expect that? Kovy has said in the past that he is unhappy in Atlanta (on a non-winning team). Why do you think that you see him give no effort on so many nights? He's tired of being on a non-competitive team.

“If I feel like we’re in the right direction, for sure I think we’ll figure out a way to sign a new deal,” Kovalchuk told the AJC last month.

http://www.ajc.com/thrashers/content...chuk_news.html

Atlanta needs to win, though. Bogosian, Little, Enstrom, a good pick again this year, they are getting some of the pieces together. Soon enough? Hard to say. Waddell might find that if he can spend some money this summer signing a prominent player or two it would pay off double in helping convince Kovalchuk to stay.

Anyway, one can speculate all one wants, but at the end of the day, the default expectation for any team's core/franchise player should probably be that they stay put. Anything is possible. But I don't recall too many cases of the league's true marquee players going down the UFA route, not unless they've had some health or performance issues to cloud their situation. It happens, but I'm just saying it shouldn't be the *expectation*. Just a possibility. :dunno:

LyricalLyricist 06-16-2009 12:07 PM

"Ilya Kovalchuk meet John Tavares. Sign here for your contract extension". Any questions?

Carboneer 06-16-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 19938858)
"Ilya Kovalchuk meet John Tavares. Sign here for your contract extension". Any questions?

What?

LyricalLyricist 06-16-2009 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carboneer (Post 19939000)
What?

He'll have a real center, a potential superstar. Little as second line center, bagosian at d, two decent young players are goalies for the future(like us sorta). They're improving and he's getting someone to play with, why would he leave now? Especially since they'll pay whatever it takes to keep him.

Newhabfan 06-16-2009 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 19939155)
He'll have a real center, a potential superstar. Little as second line center, bagosian at d, two decent young players are goalies for the future(like us sorta). They're improving and he's getting someone to play with, why would he leave now? Especially since they'll pay whatever it takes to keep him.

And how are the Trashers going to get Tavares actually ? You really think he'll go down to the 4th pick ?

King Woodballs 06-16-2009 12:50 PM

Why bother trading for him.
he wont re-sign in MTL anyways.
So why waste the players and or picks to get him.

Kriss E 06-16-2009 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blind Gardien (Post 19937080)
“If I feel like we’re in the right direction, for sure I think we’ll figure out a way to sign a new deal,” Kovalchuk told the AJC last month.

http://www.ajc.com/thrashers/content...chuk_news.html

Atlanta needs to win, though. Bogosian, Little, Enstrom, a good pick again this year, they are getting some of the pieces together. Soon enough? Hard to say. Waddell might find that if he can spend some money this summer signing a prominent player or two it would pay off double in helping convince Kovalchuk to stay.

Anyway, one can speculate all one wants, but at the end of the day, the default expectation for any team's core/franchise player should probably be that they stay put. Anything is possible. But I don't recall too many cases of the league's true marquee players going down the UFA route, not unless they've had some health or performance issues to cloud their situation. It happens, but I'm just saying it shouldn't be the *expectation*. Just a possibility. :dunno:

I guess we'll have to wait and see how it unfolds but if Atlanta's situation doesn't improve much, just like it hasn't over the past years, I have a hard time believing he'll re-sign there.