HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Eklund: "Flyers working a deal with Kings" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=651521)

RIPRichardsCarter 06-15-2009 10:57 PM

Eklund: "Flyers working a deal with Kings"

Quote:

"Sources are telling me that the Flyers are attempting to work a deal with the LA Kings for the 5th Overall pick...."
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...ICKETS/1/21570

Doubt it, but who knows. Lets discuss.

Mike Richards 18 06-15-2009 11:04 PM

Eklund is rarely correct. im sure everyone will agree with me that we all wish the Deal included and yes we d love the 5th overall pick but the question is, is what would we add to Briere to sweeten the pot. that is the worrysome question that needs to be asked if this were to be a true Rumor?

Jim Schennson 06-15-2009 11:07 PM

I posted this up in the draft thread:

I remember Eklund saying something the other day about the Flyers trying to package together Briere and JVR, so maybe that would be the deal. Briere and JVR for the #5, and then Homer can take someone at #5 (presumably the LW MPS) to replace JVR's place in the prospect pool, at the same time getting rid of Briere's contract. Of course, this is all contingent on Briere waiving his NMC, and the fact that this all started with Eklund.

Phunhog 06-15-2009 11:15 PM

When was the last time he was right on a scoop the came out of nowhere? He always disappoints Flyers fans.

CantSeeColors 06-15-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Richards 18 (Post 19934292)
Eklund is rarely correct. im sure everyone will agree with me that we all wish the Deal included and yes we d love the 5th overall pick but the question is, is what would we add to Briere to sweeten the pot. that is the worrysome question that needs to be asked if this were to be a true Rumor?

Do we need to sweeten the pot? Cap space is hardly a problem for LA. They'd be getting a surefire PPG player in exchange for a pick whose max upside is that level. I'm sure we could toss something else in, but I'm not so sure it needs to be someone as valuable as JvR.

RIPRichardsCarter 06-15-2009 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick van Riemsdyk (Post 19934331)
I posted this up in the draft thread:

I remember Eklund saying something the other day about the Flyers trying to package together Briere and JVR, so maybe that would be the deal. Briere and JVR for the #5, and then Homer can take someone at #5 (presumably the LW MPS) to replace JVR's place in the prospect pool, at the same time getting rid of Briere's contract. Of course, this is all contingent on Briere waiving his NMC, and the fact that this all started with Eklund.

I'd hope we wouldn't have to add JVR too. Maybe Briere and a lesser prospect or pick.

sa cyred 06-15-2009 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker912 (Post 19934528)
I'd hope we wouldn't have to add JVR too. Maybe Briere and a lesser prospect or pick.

For the 5th overall? JVR would surely needed to be added. Especially in this draft.

GoneFullHextall 06-15-2009 11:31 PM

yeah IF this true, and I am not holding my breath JVR would most definitely heading to LA. Would Briere even go to LA?

DeadPhish5858 06-15-2009 11:36 PM

Im proud of myself. I havent been to hockeybuzz in at least 2 months.

UseYourAllusion 06-15-2009 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 (Post 19934728)

cold turkey?

or does HF count sort of like the patch?

panayiotis 06-16-2009 12:42 AM

get serious

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quacker912 (Post 19934199)
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...ICKETS/1/21570

Doubt it, but who knows. Lets discuss.

Eklund is a boob. Homer should be fired. The flyers are in salary cap hell.

Jroach19 06-16-2009 12:44 AM

JVR>>>Flyers cap space

ELab2 06-16-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jroach19 (Post 19935519)
JVR>>>Flyers cap space

the equation most certainly be that simple

Rick Deckard 06-16-2009 12:56 AM

It makes some sense to trade to #5 to get Jared Cowen.

flyboys15 06-16-2009 12:59 AM

He mentioned a possible deal the Flyers were working a couple of days ago that had JVR bundled with an established player on the Philly team...he made no mention of Briere and it was separate from this Kings thing from today.

I'm sure Homer is working every angle to sensibly move Briere or Lupul and this is just one scenario that hit Eklund's radar. We'll just have to see.

Giroux tha Damaja 06-16-2009 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ELab2 (Post 19935536)
the equation most certainly be that simple

I think that's an inequality.

Readyrock 06-16-2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

JVR>>>Flyers cap space

There's some things to keep in mind...

First, JVR is a variable at this point. While Patrick Kane is excelling at the NHL level, James has just begun the process of pro-seasoning. (Not to mention, his value has depreciated over the last year after some perceived under-performances, and his career as a Phantom has started pretty quietly... not that this truly matters in this discussion.)

Second, Danny Briere (an undersized, aging, speed-dependent forward), will be making humongous cash while the heart of the roster is up for free agency. Danny is signed until he's 37, and the window with which to play hot potato with his contract is closing. (Really, if Lecavalier heads to Montreal, that will probably kill our last legitimate chance to unload him cleanly.)

So, you would need to think carefully about the comforts provided by jettisoning Briere, even at the cost of such a prospect. I'd really, really like to resign Carter, Gagne, Giroux, Sbisa, Coburn and Parent when the time comes. We can certainly ballpark the value of those six men better than we can JVR.

BadHammy* 06-16-2009 03:02 AM

I guess it could happen but not so likely. The only way this makes sense is if LA is willing to trade a goalie too, and that is possible...

Hockeypete49 06-16-2009 03:24 AM

Has Eklund ever been right? Just a question

Readyrock 06-16-2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 (Post 19936496)
Has Eklund ever been right? Just a question

No. But, this isn't the first time Briere->L.A. has been floated.

RJ8812* 06-16-2009 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 (Post 19934728)

i only go there to read Bill Meltzer's articles

DeadPhish5858 06-16-2009 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 19936795)
i only go there to read Bill Meltzer's articles

Thats why I was going, but towards the end of the season there wasn't posting as much. So my readership stopped.

BernieParent 06-16-2009 07:53 AM

According to an article in today's Montreal Gazette, Holmgren has been shopping Brière around the league.
Quote:

The folks in Philly have talked to the Canadiens and the Los Angeles Kings, but neither team was interested. There also is a report that they have talked to the Phoenix Coyotes, although you have to wonder whether anyone has the authority to talk on behalf of the team that may or may not be bankrupt and/or on the way to Hamilton.
Please note, though, that the writer provides no source for this rumour.

Giroux tha Damaja 06-16-2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

JVR>>>Flyers cap space

Right. But the deal in question is more like "Is JVR >>> Cap Space + additional return?"

Let's not start trading away JVR for a pick. I don't think we need to do that, when most likely Holmgren approached Lombardi about trading Briere and the 5th is what he was asking. I don't think we should move away from trading Briere in order to get that pick, when the real goal for Philly is cap space and relocating our cap space and talent towards the D.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing Briere go for a close to reasonable return to get some cap space and possibly invest some of his contract somewhere else. Though if he stays it certainly is not an unworkable situation having him in the line up (it would be match up hell for coaches playing against the Flyers). I think the trade below works.

:kings Briere
:flyers Quick/Bernier + Tom Preissing + Stoll/Zus

Kings can have their pick of which center comes back if the Flyers can pick the goalie, or vice versa, if that suits the Kings better. Briere's contract hurts his value but I still think he is worth more than either one of Quick or Bernier straight up. Stoll more than makes up the difference, so we take back Preissing to get the values and salaries more evenly aligned. Philadelphia can afford to put Preissing in the AHL and eat the contract (which gives us some cap space).

I think LA fans will absolutely hate this and tell me I am so far off, but it seems most of them don't want to give to get, or don't want to make a trade that doesn't clearly screw the other team. This trade gives the Kings a first line center, that they could put on their second line to take some of the burden off Kopitar. Philly gets a goalie, a center that conforms better with the role of a third line center in terms of skills and salary, and some cap space.

The interesting dilemma is if Harding for Lupul is also on the table for Philly, are they willing to lose both Lupul and Briere? I say no, in that case I do the deal for Harding and let Briere play RW on Carter's line for a year, and investigate trading him when his terms are shorter and he has likely had a solid year (can't be worse than this year right?).

GKJ 06-16-2009 09:13 AM

I don't think Briere would be involved going to the Kings. Lombardi seems to want younger players who have won or at least know what it takes to win, in the Justin Williams mold. The Kings are in position to make a huge deal at the draft...but they were last year as well.

If Holmgren really is shopping Briere, I'm sure he cleared it with him first. Or at least asked him if he would accept a trade and to where.