HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Pro Stock and regular sticks - Tell them apart? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=651945)

CanFan05 06-17-2009 07:15 AM

Pro Stock and regular sticks - Tell them apart?

Hey guys, there's someone i found on the internet that sells Pro-Stock On95's (have to meet him to get the stick, 150$) and I just wanted to know the difference between pro-stock and regular stock On95's. how can I tell, apart from the weight and curve being exactly like the NHL player asks for? Are there different graphics, a logo, anything?

Thanks!

Saved 06-17-2009 07:46 AM

They will in almost all cases have the words "Pro Stock" written on the shaft. It will also have a warning saying there is no warranty.

CanFan05 06-17-2009 07:58 AM

No warranty? Really?

Cams 06-17-2009 08:41 AM

Yes.... pro-stock do not have warranties. Can't remember why, but I have purchased a few pro stock sticks. I think the weight and curve are the 2 big things, but the one I still have (Drury Synergry a few years old now) is a pro stock, no markings that would distinguish it otherwise from the retail version.

CanFan05 06-17-2009 08:53 AM

Hummm..Thanks guys, just hope I won't get suckered to buy a regular on95 instead of a pro stock...mind you the price is still really good but i'd take a pro stock if I could.

Enstrom39 06-17-2009 08:53 AM

Also most non-pro sticks are hollow shaft and if the blade breaks off you can cut the stick and re-insert a new bade. I had a pro stock Desbiens stick I bought at an ECHL gear sale and when the blade broke they said that the interior space was different and you can't just stick a new blade in there.

Johnny Law 06-17-2009 10:50 AM

Another thing to remember is that there is a decent chance it isn't a One95, lots and lots of players have the new stick's graphic with an older more familiar stick.

Some of the One95's where color coded for the team, for example Maltby's is red.

CptKirk 06-17-2009 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Falconer (Post 19950377)
Also most non-pro sticks are hollow shaft and if the blade breaks off you can cut the stick and re-insert a new bade. I had a pro stock Desbiens stick I bought at an ECHL gear sale and when the blade broke they said that the interior space was different and you can't just stick a new blade in there.

Depends on the model of the stick. Some sticks, like the Vapors, have a narrower taper on the OPS then the standard tapered blade. Some, like the S17, have a weird shape that no blade will ever fit.

But you find those issues with retail sticks too. The truth is, most pro stock sticks are nearly identical to the retail except for the custom curve. Yeah, some like the 10K are reinforced on the pro side, but they're not as common.

But any synergy, any dolo, any 10k... You can cut for a blade, or in the case of the dolo, you can pull the old blade out.

But without knowing the stick model you got I can't tell you if that's BS or not.

CanFan05 06-17-2009 01:30 PM

Thanks man,

I'm interested in the Bauer one95. I was also looking at the One95 shaft and blade (2 piece) because i would use the stick to play ballhockey on a smooth concrete surface.

BadHammy* 06-17-2009 03:16 PM

The biggest difference in pro stock is 1) no warranty and 2) weight and length will vary a lot. I once got several pro stocks of the same stick, the difference in weight was almost 50 grams, and they were the same length. The third factor is flex because some pro stocks will say 100 but feel like 80 but some 85's will feel like 110. It's a total crap shoot.

NYRSinceBirth 06-18-2009 11:52 PM

Most NHL pro stocks will have the plaers name printed on the stick also. Not like "P92 Naslund" it will say "Naslund 91" in a different spot.

Fun Fact: Ryan Callahan uses retail Iginla S17's.