HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Hossa and Gaborik against one another (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=652209)

StellerEller 06-17-2009 11:02 PM

Hossa and Gaborik against one another

Assuming Gaborik's surgery has taken care of his hip problems, who do you think is more valuable in the FA market? Im sure because Hossa is coming off a 40 goal year he'll be valued, and if you look at Gaborik's limited numbers this year there still pretty impressive. the question is who would you rather have and/or who will be signed where and for how much.

CloutierForVezina 06-17-2009 11:24 PM

If we're ignoring injury concerns, it's not even close. Gaborik by far.

Harv 06-17-2009 11:36 PM

To the death!

http://img.cas.sk/img/4/article/1736...orik-hossa.jpg

Coach John McGuirk 06-18-2009 12:35 AM

Two totally different players.

When healthy, Gaborik is probably a top-10 guy in the world. Hossa is an incredible two-way guy, but he'll never be able to put up the numbers Gaborik will. Hossa is a side-kick, plays his best when he isn't asked to be "the man," and Gaborik is more of a carry the load kinda guy.

They're both marquee players, but they serve different purposes.

Kiddington 06-18-2009 12:37 AM

I'd rather have Gaborik, if he's actually healthy.

vecens24 06-18-2009 12:45 AM

If healthy I'd defitniely rather have Gaborik. And becuase of those health concerns I feel like he's going to get less money on the market than Hossa will so I'd rather take Gaborik this offseason

StellerEller 06-18-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh (Post 19960848)

When healthy, Gaborik is probably a top-10 guy in the world. Hossa is an incredible two-way guy, but he'll never be able to put up the numbers Gaborik will. Hossa is a side-kick, plays his best when he isn't asked to be "the man," and Gaborik is more of a carry the load kinda guy.

I agree completely and I know that teams have different needs i just thought id see what fans think their team would take.

StellerEller 06-18-2009 12:48 AM

With Gaborik's injury concerns, does his asking price get reduced? Or will a team outbid everyone and take a chance?

Coach John McGuirk 06-18-2009 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch (Post 19960960)
With Gaborik's injury concerns, does his asking price get reduced? Or will a team outbid everyone and take a chance?

Well, the Free Agency is like General Managers Gone Wild, so I'm sure he'll get a few ridiculous offers.

struckbyaparkedcar 06-18-2009 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy33Clutch (Post 19960960)

It only takes one desperate team with too much cap space.

Oshie97 06-18-2009 01:26 AM

I would take Gaborik. He is more of a go to guy than Hossa will ever be. That does not mean he will get the bigger contact, that all depends on Hossa staying in Detroit.

TeamSeals 06-18-2009 02:15 AM

First of all how can we just assume injuries are a thing of the past for Gabby? He has never proven he can stay healthy and he hasn't played enough post surgery to prove this last injury was his last for good. And beyond that I would take Hossa anyways because he plays a complete game and Gabby is very dynamic but one dimensional. He really doesn't use his teammates a whole lot and he doesn't play defense. Gabby is great at what he does but I like complete players more then specialized players.

DAkings20 06-18-2009 03:11 AM

I would definitely take Gaborik on my team

Kunitziwa 06-18-2009 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh (Post 19960848)

this, Hossa is way more responsible in his own end, and Gaborik is injury prone. considering injuries there's no way in hell ide take Gaborik over Hossa. if they both sign one year deals this year, and gabby plays a whole year, then that makes it a tougher choice next season, but ide still give Hossa the edge.

teme 06-18-2009 04:29 AM

Depends on what the team needs.

Need to get to playoffs, get Hossa. Solid all around play all season, improves any team.

Already good enough to make the post season anyway, but need to get somewhere in playoffs, get Gaborik. It's a gamble, he may be hurt or not, but he is also the kind of top notch scorer that can make the difference in play off series.

Coach John McGuirk 06-18-2009 04:39 AM

I think people might not be giving Gaborik his due as far as defensive play.

He's been playing in Minnesota for his entire career, a good portion of it under Lemaire who is renown for his system and what he expects of his players.

Gaborik isn't exactly Datsyuk/Zetterberg as far as being amazing in both ends of the ice, but he's also not Ovechkin, who doesn't seem like he can be bothered with even back checking.

mnwildfan79 06-18-2009 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Mighty Boosh (Post 19962027)
I think people might not be giving Gaborik his due as far as defensive play.

He's been playing in Minnesota for his entire career, a good portion of it under Lemaire who is renown for his system and what he expects of his players.

Gaborik isn't exactly Datsyuk/Zetterberg as far as being amazing in both ends of the ice, but he's also not Ovechkin, who doesn't seem like he can be bothered with even back checking.

100%

But I agree, he's not as much as a defensive liability as some of the other snipers with his offensive skills.

Coach John McGuirk 06-18-2009 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnwildfan79 (Post 19962165)
100%

But I agree, he's not as much as a defensive liability as some of the other snipers with his offensive skills.

Thanks for the clear up, wasn't too sure either way. :)

Henkka 06-18-2009 06:58 AM

Because of the health issues, I'd take Hossa.

It isn't nice when your season blows up because your best player is hurt.

Gaborik:
154 missed NHL games of 656 possible= 23,4%
1 season 80 games or more

Hossa:
52 missed NHL games of 837 possible = 6,2%
6 seasons 80 games or more

um 06-18-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harv (Post 19960338)

wtf are they doing?

um 06-18-2009 07:06 AM

wouldnt it be hilarious if they both went to the same team

captain AARON MAIDEN* 06-18-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeamSeals (Post 19961548)
one dimensional.....he doesn't play defense.

:biglaugh:

ahhh, you are a ********** I***T.

Gabby is the best two-way player after Mikko in the Wild.

SH TOI/G: 0:55

Systemfel 06-18-2009 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by um (Post 19962222)
wtf are they doing?

Beating a dead horse. Common hobby in Slovakia.

um 06-18-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Systemfel (Post 19962342)
Beating a dead horse. Common hobby in Slovakia.

id like to take on that hobby

pld459666 06-18-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar (Post 19961127)
It only takes one desperate team with too much cap space.

Sad, but it may not even need to be prefaced about the cap space issue.

The Rangers NEED that game changer that Gaborik is and if they can sign him and then move one of their nasty contracts by dangling a 2010 1st rounder along with the player then they will do just that.

A team in rebuild mode my be willing to take the Redden contract if it ensures that they also get a 1st if all they are giving back is something very nominal. I mid level prospect or a late round pick.

Dreaming I know, but I can easily see Sather trying to do something like this (the signing Gaborik part) and then dealing with the cap issues later.

And we all know that if Sather is involved, Gaborik will not be getting a reduced offer based on that injury history of his. I can see a 10 year offer at 70 million

3 years at 10 million followerd by 7 years at 5.71 million for an average cap his of 7 million per year.

Not sure he would sign that contract, but who knows.