HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Vancouver Canucks (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   News Article: Canucks Sign Matt Pope (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=652538)

pitseleh 06-18-2009 10:34 PM

Canucks Sign Matt Pope

Quote:

Matt Pope, a product of the Langley Minor Hockey Association and former member of the junior A Langley Hornets, signed a two-way contract with the Vancouver Canucks.

“There were a few teams interested, but the Canucks, I was hoping they were going to make me a good offer,” Pope said by phone as he was on his way to Los Angeles.

Pope was unsure when the Canucks would be announcing the signing.

But he had spoken with someone in the organization’s player development department.

“He told me he was really impressed with my play here (in Winnipeg) and that I was taking advantage of the opportunity that I got,” Pope said.

“He said that I had opened up a lot of eyes, and that I have got all of the key aspects to be an NHL player.”
http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/48561232.html

By all accounts he was quite good in his time with the Moose. Hopefully Desbiens is next.

Wayne Maki 06-18-2009 10:39 PM

Awesome news. Good to have a local kid in the organization.

Kickassguy 06-18-2009 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitseleh (Post 19973413)
http://www.bclocalnews.com/sports/48561232.html

By all accounts he was quite good in his time with the Moose. Hopefully Desbiens is next.

Interesting. Ditto your thoughts on Desbiens.

Tripwyre 06-18-2009 10:48 PM

He apparently plans to use his signing bonus to bulletproof his Pope-mobile.

timw33 06-18-2009 10:48 PM

Nice, hope we sign Desbiens too.

y2kcanucks 06-18-2009 11:02 PM

Great news...he played quite well in the playoffs.

Mr. Canucklehead 06-18-2009 11:02 PM

My cousin must be ecstatic, played hockey with him growing up in Langley. He seemed to do really well with the Moose in the tail end of the season and the playoffs, hopefully he can carry that over to next year.

And I agree as well, hopefully Desbiens is next!

Chalk up a couple more to Heisinger!

~Canucklehead~

NeoCanuck 06-18-2009 11:15 PM

:)

Brother of my goodfriends boyfriend.

parabola 06-19-2009 12:11 AM

Best last name ever? I hope he plays one day so I can get a Pope jersey.

y2kcanucks 06-19-2009 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead (Post 19973752)
My cousin must be ecstatic, played hockey with him growing up in Langley. He seemed to do really well with the Moose in the tail end of the season and the playoffs, hopefully he can carry that over to next year.

And I agree as well, hopefully Desbiens is next!

Chalk up a couple more to Heisinger!

~Canucklehead~

Yes! People complain when we give the credit for Burrows to Heisinger, but I'm going to use the same standard here and give the credit of Pope and Desbiens (once signed) to him too, not Gillis.

hockeyfan125 06-19-2009 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by y2kcanucks (Post 19974488)
Yes! People complain when we give the credit for Burrows to Heisinger

a) uh, what?
b) who are these people?
c) who is we?

I thought it was widely known that 'Zinger found Burrows.

pitseleh 06-19-2009 01:11 AM

He's referencing the two sides of the Nonis/Gillis debates.

y2kcanucks 06-19-2009 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HankyFourFingers (Post 19974886)
a) uh, what?
b) who are these people?
c) who is we?

I thought it was widely known that 'Zinger found Burrows.

a) Yup
b) Nonis apologists
c) The smart ones

Peter Griffin 06-19-2009 01:13 AM

Speaking of Heisinger, I'd love for the Canucks to somehow get him into their front office, but he seems to have a pretty good thing going with Manitoba and I don't see him giving it up anytime soon.

pitseleh 06-19-2009 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Griffin (Post 19974936)
Speaking of Heisinger, I'd love for the Canucks to somehow get him into their front office, but he seems to have a pretty good thing going with Manitoba and I don't see him giving it up anytime soon.

When the Canucks signed their new agreement with the Moose, one of the things that was mentioned was that the Canucks would be using the Moose scouting group more extensively.

Heisinger seems to love it in Manitoba so that's probably as much as they could realistically do.

y2kcanucks 06-19-2009 01:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pitseleh (Post 19974962)
When the Canucks signed their new agreement with the Moose, one of the things that was mentioned was that the Canucks would be using the Moose scouting group more extensively.

Heisinger seems to love it in Manitoba so that's probably as much as they could realistically do.

Yeah, it's somewhat surprising that you haven't heard his name pop up as a candidate for vacant GM jobs around the NHL. One day...

hockeyfan125 06-19-2009 01:30 AM

Maybe he's had the opportunity already, who knows. We just have to thank our lucky stars. Him and Lorne Henning have a great relationship. Lorne is an awesome guy, incredibly smart about the game both on and off the ice. Great decision by Gillis to not only keep him around, but to promote him.

windflare 06-19-2009 01:48 AM

Heisinger had been approached with different opportunities in the NHL - not quite GM level, but still many opportunities - and he had turned them down in favor of staying in Winnipeg, as he loves his job and his family loves 'peg.

Lorne Henning and him are going to be great for our organization. And great signing - Pope is a gem.

Ernie 06-19-2009 02:12 AM

I hope the Canucks are shoveling the money at Heisinger.

Is there another AHL GM who has the same ability to find NHL talent in the rough?

Alex Burrows scored 28 goals last year.. unbelievable.

orcatown 06-19-2009 02:30 AM

Pope has added some weight in the last couple of years that seems to have helped his game. Hopefully a good late bloomer.

I was under the impression that if a player was in your organization - even though he was not signed by the parent club - that the parent club had a certain time period to sign the player. The article seems to suggest Pope was free to go anywhere. Wonder if anyone is clear about the rules here.

Payaso619* 06-19-2009 02:35 AM

What's his potential and will he ever reach it?

adamzilla 06-19-2009 02:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windflare (Post 19975233)
Heisinger had been approached with different opportunities in the NHL - not quite GM level, but still many opportunities - and he had turned them down in favor of staying in Winnipeg, as he loves his job and his family loves 'peg.

Lorne Henning and him are going to be great for our organization. And great signing - Pope is a gem.

Didn't he also say that he'd like to win in the AHL before he moved on to the NHL?

Or am I just making this up?

windflare 06-19-2009 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orcatown (Post 19975516)
Pope has added some weight in the last couple of years that seems to have helped his game. Hopefully a good late bloomer.

I was under the impression that if a player was in your organization - even though he was not signed by the parent club - that the parent club had a certain time period to sign the player. The article seems to suggest Pope was free to go anywhere. Wonder if anyone is clear about the rules here.

Matt Pope was never in our organization - never drafted, etc. He was signed by the Moose, with no affiliation to the Canucks. He is basically an undrafted College UFA.

FruityPants3* 06-19-2009 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tripwyre (Post 19973576)
He apparently plans to use his signing bonus to bulletproof his Pope-mobile.

:laugh:

I heard he was planning on starting a "Pope's corner" giving underprivileged boys a chance to watch hockey games. In his bedroom.

orcatown 06-19-2009 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by windflare (Post 19975660)
Matt Pope was never in our organization - never drafted, etc. He was signed by the Moose, with no affiliation to the Canucks. He is basically an undrafted College UFA.

Manitoba Moose are obviously part of the Canuck organization. They have signed agreements between them. These gives the Moose certain rights and the Canucks certain rights.

Question I'm asking is whether this affiliation give the Canucks priority rights on people who are signed to Moose contracts. There was a post some time back that suggested this.

I think we all know that Pope was just signed by the Canucks and previous to this he was signed to a Moose contract. The point here is whether the Canucks have any special rights to a player like Desbiens.