HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Proposal: Edm-buf (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=653268)

Roof Daddy 06-21-2009 11:27 AM

Edm-buf

Seems Sabres fans really want to get rid of Hecht's contract, so I was wondering if this deal seems worth it to them

To BUF: Nilsson (1.8 hit for 2 more years), 40th overall

To EDM: Hecht (3.525 hit for next 3 yrs), 13th overall

Nilsson is high on skill, low on (heart? focus? maybe you guys can figure it out) but is very flashy with the puck when on his game. Hecht has a very complete game, but even if he reaches expectations (45-50 pts) that contract is not very good. To me that's worth moving 27 spots in the draft. Thoughts from Buffalo?

HarriSateri 06-21-2009 11:34 AM

Nope, not even close.

MonacoBlue 06-21-2009 11:36 AM

A swing and a miss...no way Buffalo does that

BackGroundMusic 06-21-2009 11:41 AM

Ugh, no.

jumptheshark 06-21-2009 11:47 AM

Oilers already had Hecht and he did not fit in then and does not fit now

Seachd 06-21-2009 11:48 AM

It would be nice for Edmonton to get that pick, but not with that ugly contract coming back.

xeric716x 06-21-2009 01:37 PM

Buffalo isnt moving the 13th pick for that

Bryanbryoil 06-21-2009 01:45 PM

If we want their pick we need to get them some defensive help. Something like their 13th, their 2nd rounder, and a prospect for Grebeshkov or Gilbert. Or they could take Staios' contract for a half eaten ham sandwich.

hfboardsuser 06-21-2009 01:47 PM

Visnovsky for 13th and Gaustad?

BackGroundMusic 06-21-2009 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 19999615)
If we want their pick we need to get them some defensive help. Something like their 13th, their 2nd rounder, and a prospect for Grebeshkov or Gilbert. Or they could take Staios' contract for a half eaten ham sandwich.

:laugh: Tanguay went for a late 1st round pick last year. You think that Grebs or Gilbert can get all that?

Bryanbryoil 06-21-2009 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan (Post 19999651)
:laugh: Tanguay went for a late 1st round pick last year. You think that Grebs or Gilbert can get all that?

Yes, they are young puck moving d-men that are entering their primes. Buffalo is BADLY in need of this type of a player and they wouldn't have to take away from their forward core to get this deal done. If we had to sweeten the pot a little, that's fine.

Darth Milbury 06-21-2009 01:52 PM

I doubt Buffalo moves their pick - not Reiger's style.

I also don't think Buffalo is going to have that much problem moving Hecht's contract. He may be overpaid, but there is no doubt that he can be a useful player.

BackGroundMusic 06-21-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 19999672)
Yes, they are young puck moving d-men that are entering their primes. Buffalo is BADLY in need of this type of a player and they wouldn't have to take away from their forward core to get this deal done. If we had to sweeten the pot a little, that's fine.

I'd rather Buffalo moves Stafford for Gilbert. Buffalo probably WANTS to take away from their forward corps because they're overloaded.

Bryanbryoil 06-21-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury (Post 19999684)
I doubt Buffalo moves their pick - not Reiger's style.

I also don't think Buffalo is going to have that much problem moving Hecht's contract. He may be overpaid, but there is no doubt that he can be a useful player.

Maybe not, but their defense has been their major downfall for some time. He needs to address it this season if he expects to get into the post season.

BackGroundMusic 06-21-2009 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 19999703)
Maybe not, but their defense has been their major downfall for some time. He needs to address it this season if he expects to get into the post season.

One of the Sabres downfalls, yes, but the problem is that soft, pseudo-offensive defensemen are all the Sabres have. They have no legitimate bone-breakers, nobody with any meanness at all, except for Weber [AHL].

If the Sabres are trading the 13th, a 2nd [which they don't have this year], and a prospect for a defenseman, I want to see an honest-to-goodness bruiser, not more of the same.

NFITO 06-21-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 19999615)

I think you seriously overrate both Grebeshkov and Gilbert.

I don't think they get the 13th overall pick in the draft alone, let alone a 2nd and a prospect added! That's more than we've seen given up last year for Tanguay and Cammerelli and offensive forwards generally have more trade value than dmen do.

If either dman is worth a 1st rounder, it will be a late one... not a top 15 pick in a very solid draft (and then some!)

Darth Milbury 06-21-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 19999703)

EDM actually had one of the worst defenses in the NHL last year - partially because your four best guys are all very similar - offense oriented dmen who (other than Vish) are not studs in their own end. The only guy you have who can hit is Souray, and he is a good bet to spent more time on the IR. Also, you can't hit what you can't catch, so Souray is going to be pretty useless in open ice.

Buffalo finished mid-pack in defense, and probalby could get into the top third with a UFA signing or two. EDM has a much longer way to go, IMO. You need at least two vet bangers, and some gritty defensively oriented forwards to get that GAG down.

In any case, I agree with Nuckfan Grebs and Gilbert are not worth the 13th straight up - let alone the package you asked for.

struckbyaparkedcar 06-21-2009 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil (Post 19999672)

Sabres don't need puck moving defensemen, they need a physical puck rushing defensman who can deliver punishing hits, consistently win matchups against top forwards and clear the zone consistently.

Homesick 06-21-2009 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BikeGiftingMan (Post 19999651)

The extremely one dimensional soft Tanguay put up 18 goals and 40 assists and still got a 1st rounder with only 1 season left under contract(for 5.25 million). So laugh all you want but Gilbert or Grebeshkov could fetch more than a mid first when it's widely believed that after 7th the talent level takes a huge drop.

HockeyThoughts 06-21-2009 03:15 PM

Oilers do it, doubt Sabres do.

HarriSateri 06-21-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar (Post 20000109)
Sabres don't need puck moving defensemen, they need a physical puck rushing defensman who can deliver punishing hits, consistently win matchups against top forwards and clear the zone consistently.

Sounds like Jared Cowen or Simon Despres.

Armond White 06-21-2009 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Bugg (Post 19999634)
Visnovsky for 13th and Gaustad?

The Sabres really cure their payroll issues by adding a $7 million defenseman.

Homesick 06-21-2009 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheektovanek (Post 20000587)
The Sabres really cure their payroll issues by adding a $7 million defenseman.

His cap hit is 5.6 million. Salary goes 7,6,5,3.

NFITO 06-21-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homesick (Post 20000524)
The extremely one dimensional soft Tanguay put up 18 goals and 40 assists and still got a 1st rounder with only 1 season left under contract(for 5.25 million). So laugh all you want but Gilbert or Grebeshkov could fetch more than a mid first when it's widely believed that after 7th the talent level takes a huge drop.

So which team that's drafting in the top half of the draft - or even top 20 picks in the draft, do you think has the need enough to give up their 1st round pick for one of Gilbert or Grebeshkov?

I think you can pretty much eliminate every team drafting from till 20 that would have the need to add a 2nd pairing dman making $3mill+ at the cost of a 1st rounder.

For him to be worth a mid-1st, there has to be some team there that would pay that for him... and I can't see any team giving up a top 20 pick for either of these dmen this year.

MonacoBlue 06-21-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Homesick (Post 20000524)

Extremely one dimensional Tanguay? Are you ****ing kidding me? Tanguay is a wonderful two-way player who makes decisions with the puck and is a terrific ES player. Now plus-minus isn't always a useful stat, but consider that Tanguay has NEVER had a minus season. Lest you talk about how he only plays for good teams, consider how poor defensively the Habs played this year. Tanguay was still +13, one of the best on the team. Tanguay is far from one-dimensional. He always backchecks and isn't as prone to giveaways as many creative players.

EDIT: Tanguay led the team in plus-minus