HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Allstar Giguere (6mil cap hit) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=653356)

Selanne08* 06-21-2009 06:08 PM

Allstar Giguere (6mil cap hit)

I was looking at last years draft and remembered that florida Traded for Vokoun. So what do you think is the value of Giguere at this years draft? Arguably he is better than Vokoun. Could we see anything of this sort of value? Vokoun had a 5.7 mil cap hit.

#9 - Nashville receives a 2008 1st Round Pick and 2007 2nd Round Pick (#58 Nick Spaling) from Florida for Tomas Vokoun

Any thoughts?

Talentless Practise* 06-21-2009 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne08 (Post 20001984)
Any thoughts?

Search function finds you many recent "Value of: Giguere" -threads.

Pyke* 06-21-2009 06:28 PM

Was it necessary to clarify he was an all-star?

Macke* 06-21-2009 06:29 PM

:laugh::laugh:

None Shall Pass 06-21-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyke (Post 20002119)

I think so, it reminds you of a time when he was actually good. :sarcasm:

DarKarTs 06-21-2009 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by None Shall Pass (Post 20002149)
I think so, it reminds you of a time when he was actually good. :sarcasm:

hah I'm going to wait for the "his dad died so it's ok he sucked"

Talentless Practise* 06-21-2009 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKarTs (Post 20002191)

I would think a fan of the Sharks would understand that you don't give up on a guy after one season. I mean, you guys are still going to give JT another chance and he's not even half the player Giggy is.

WreckItRask 06-21-2009 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Selanne08 (Post 20001984)
I was looking at last years draft and remembered that florida Traded for Vokoun. So what do you think is the value of Giguere at this years draft? Arguably he is better than Vokoun. Could we see anything of this sort of value? Vokoun had a 5.7 mil cap hit.

#9 - Nashville receives a 2008 1st Round Pick and 2007 2nd Round Pick (#58 Nick Spaling) from Florida for Tomas Vokoun

Any thoughts?

Um, not any more he's not.

kyle evs48 06-21-2009 07:50 PM

I made this thread like three days ago. It got shot down.

Kickassguy 06-21-2009 08:06 PM

Giguere is not better than Vokoun.

mstad101 06-21-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kickassguy (Post 20002952)
Giguere is not better than Vokoun.

debatable.
ill Giggy that he lead two teams to the cup finals.
But Vokoun is no slouch. he can carry a team, but the flordia trade set him back.

Id say Giggy is worth a Young Roster scoring forward. (preferably signed)
youngish Goaltending prospect.
tier 2 Prospect or 3rd round pick.
And your desired salary dump. most likely a shut down grinder to replace the missing Moen Paulsson combo.

xeric716x 06-21-2009 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talentless Practise (Post 20002219)
I would think a fan of the Sharks would understand that you don't give up on a guy after one season. I mean, you guys are still going to give JT another chance and he's not even half the player Giggy is.

you seriously dont believe this, do you?

The Amity Affliction 06-21-2009 09:32 PM

The guy was backing up Hiller down the stretch...

MartinVanBuren 06-21-2009 09:35 PM

Anaheim has a $6M backup.

Lolers.

Paul4587 06-21-2009 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinVanBuren (Post 20003724)
Anaheim has a $6M backup.

Lolers.

That $6M backup is still better than any goalie the Kings have ever had.

As for Gigueres value, I wouldn't compare it to what Vokoun got as Vokoun wasn't coming off the worst year of his career when he was traded. An argument could be made that Giguere was better than Vokoun before last year but after the season he just had he will be lucky to get an average second line foward and a mid round pick.

Trebek 06-21-2009 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul4587 (Post 20003834)

Rogie Vachon was a pretty good goaltender.

Moses Doughty 06-21-2009 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul4587 (Post 20003834)

As for Gigueres value, I wouldn't compare it to what Vokoun got as Vokoun wasn't coming off the worst year of his career when he was traded. An argument could be made that Giguere was better than Vokoun before last year but after the season he just had he will be lucky to get an average second line foward and a mid round pick.

:shakehead
Vokoun was hurt that year for a while too and Mason had a great year.
And...
Vachon>>Giguere
Sawchuk>>>>>>>Giguere(Though Sawchuk wasnt that good in LA)

Paul4587 06-21-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKarTs (Post 20002191)

I don't know about you but if my Dad died the last thing I would be thinking about would be hockey. Until his fathers sickness/death Giguere was playing well, it was obvious that off ice issues were the reason he was so terrible this year.

Bucky Ducky 06-21-2009 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Foley (Post 20003869)
:shakehead
Vokoun was hurt that year for a while too and Mason had a great year.
And...
Vachon>>Giguere
Sawchuk>>>>>>>Giguere(Though Sawchuk wasnt that good in LA)

All of the Kings are better than Giguere. Giguere sucks to be honest. Even though he led Anaheim to 2 cup finals he sucks and will never be as good as one single LA King. :sarcasm:

DarKarTs 06-21-2009 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul4587 (Post 20003898)
I don't know about you but if my Dad died the last thing I would be thinking about would be hockey. Until his fathers sickness/death Giguere was playing well, it was obvious that off ice issues were the reason he was so terrible this year.

Eventually you have to put it behind you like every other human, can't be an excuse for horrible play after a while.

Moses Doughty 06-21-2009 10:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bucky Ducky (Post 20003919)
All of the Kings are better than Giguere. Giguere sucks to be honest. Even though he led Anaheim to 2 cup finals he sucks and will never be as good as one single LA King. :sarcasm:

Nice job of overreacting to the post:handclap:
Do you not agree that a goalie who should be in the HOF and would have long been in it if not for Dryden and one of the top 3 goalies of all time are not better than Giguere?

Duck Off 06-22-2009 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarKarTs (Post 20003925)
Eventually you have to put it behind you like every other human, can't be an excuse for horrible play after a while.

Nothing gets by you....

Obviously you can't keep using it as an excuse, but if all the bashing each other would stop it'd be more easy to discuss. You're right it's not an excuse anymore, however if you look at the facts it's not far off to assume most of the reason for his bad play was his dad's death. He was playing fine before the incident and he's played no where near that bad before this season. This isn't a guy who had one good season, this is a goalie who's played excellent most of his career.

Honestly, I don't expect the Ducks to trade him. Primary reason being is the return wouldn't be enough to let go of a goalie of his caliber. Personally I'm up in the air myself about wanting the Ducks to trade him or not. Hiller has had one good year. He's seems more likely of the two to have a bad year next year IMO.

Bottom line: His value is very low for a player of his caliber, but people really need to stop acting like he's a player that's had one good year, he's player that had one bad year. I estimate his value is a 3rd round pick right now, possibly a 2nd. I don't see teams offering more then that for him because of his 6 million salary and the year he's coming off of. If several teams are interested in him, then maybe the price tag goes up, but for now I'd say a 2nd or 3rd would probably do it. Maybe a decent prospect is added.

Marns 06-22-2009 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pyke (Post 20002119)

:laugh: I was coming here to post the same thing.

It's like saying "Value of: Hart winner Jose Theodore", or "Value of: Masterton winner Bryan Berard"

VelvetJones 06-22-2009 12:53 AM

I think he would still be worth something decent if he wasn't under contract for 2 more years.

Selanne08* 06-22-2009 12:53 AM

allstar is one of his nicknames