HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Hockey Equipmet tiers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=653758)

AintLifeGrand 06-23-2009 02:17 AM

Hockey Equipmet tiers

Tier 1: Warrior, Easton, Nike/Bauer, TPS, Tackla, Sher-wood, Brown, Brians
tier 2: Reebok, Winwell, Mckinney, Eagle , CCM, GRAF, Simmons, Vaughn,
tier 3: d&r, viC, MISSION, bilt rite,Itech

BadHammy* 06-23-2009 02:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand (Post 20016911)

Manual buzzer alert! Please, don't post such opinion based statements in this forum. It'll turn into a war pretty quickly,

qwertysac 06-23-2009 03:06 AM

And it's not only opinions the problem. There's also the fact that some companies, for example, can be the best for sticks, but bad at making skates. Or good for goalie equipment, but make bad player equipment.

dirtydevs9 06-23-2009 09:59 AM

Why is Reebok tier II? They make some pretty good stuff.

cptjeff 06-23-2009 10:38 AM

Yeah, not really accurate at all. Reebok has the best shins and shoulders on the market. Tackla's pants are the best, but their gloves and sticks are so so (Sticks are only in europe, you can occasionally find the gloves here).

And a winwell stick is going to give you a lot worse performance then a reebok 10k, which is one of the best sticks on the market.

Your theory is wrong in that you can group them into tiers, and your application is wrong on where you have them positioned.

Jarick 06-23-2009 10:44 AM

And you also forgot to take into account different tiers of products within each manufacturer...worthless thread.

dirtydevs9 06-23-2009 10:48 AM

To make it at all equal you'd have to seperate them into categories for each type of equipment.

Frankie Spankie 06-23-2009 10:53 AM

Didn't TPS just go out of business?

noobman 06-23-2009 10:57 AM

Each brand has its own tiers for equipment, though some brands are known to be better than others in certain departments.

IE: I'd take an Easton hockey stick over a Winwell hockey stick anyday, but I'd almost always choose GRAFs or Bauer skates over Easton skates.

AHF 06-23-2009 11:01 AM

Easily one of the dumbest threads I've seen on here. And I've seen a lot of reeeeally dumb ones.

Congrats.

cptjeff 06-23-2009 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 20019514)
Each brand has its own tiers for equipment, though some brands are known to be better than others in certain departments.

IE: I'd take an Easton hockey stick over a Winwell hockey stick anyday, but I'd almost always choose GRAFs or Bauer skates over Easton skates.

YOU TAKE THAT BACK!:p:

Seriously though, Easton has made great strides in the skate department, they've had great performance for a while now, and they've finally figured out how to construct them better at retail, and graf's quality has really gone downhill in recent years with their north american stuff.

AIREAYE 06-23-2009 11:39 AM

how old are you?

noobman 06-23-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 20019655)
YOU TAKE THAT BACK!:p:

Seriously though, Easton has made great strides in the skate department, they've had great performance for a while now, and they've finally figured out how to construct them better at retail, and graf's quality has really gone downhill in recent years with their north american stuff.

:laugh: See this is why we can't have dumb threads!!!

Personally I've always worn Bauer skates and they haven't given me a reason to switch. I've started to develop the infamous "Bauer Bump" on my heel (which is odd since my new skates fit 100x better than my old Vapor 3s) but it's not too bad just yet. When I was buying my new skates (this was abt 1 year ago) I found the GRAFs to be the most comfortable, but also the most expensive. The Easton's felt good on the feet, but I went w/ the Bauer's just b/c of brand loyalty.

Come to think of it... I think my shoulder pads are Winwells. My pants are Eastons. My helmet is a CCM and the cage on it is, of course, Itech. Everything else is Bauer.

Heat McManus 06-23-2009 12:43 PM

CuteHockeyBunny 06-23-2009 12:56 PM

I bought Bauers, returned them after a day to buy some Missions.

Your list sucks.

Hockeyfan68 06-23-2009 01:58 PM

I buy what is comfy regardless of who makes it. I've done well with Bauer skates as their sizing fits my feet better than other skates do.

The main point is what fits me best and offers protection with comfort. And really that is hopw one should shop for gear ... I don't need a status symbol logo on my gloves for others to gloat over.

No thanks. I'm playing hockey and not in a fashion show.

CuteHockeyBunny 06-23-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 (Post 20022208)
I buy what is comfy regardless of who makes it. I've done well with Bauer skates as their sizing fits my feet better than other skates do.

The main point is what fits me best and offers protection with comfort. And really that is hopw one should shop for gear ... I don't need a status symbol logo on my gloves for others to gloat over.

No thanks. I'm playing hockey and not in a fashion show.

This x infinity. Comfort takes precedence over everything. Do you think the blade on the Bauer is greater than the blade of an other company? Perhaps the boot is stiffer, but so is your dong for its hard on for Bauer marketing.

Ollie Queen 06-23-2009 03:31 PM

Um...

Not really accurate at all. Completely opinion based.

What's the point of the topic?

... Thanks?

cptjeff 06-23-2009 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DobraPicka (Post 20022455)
This x infinity. Comfort takes precedence over everything. Do you think the blade on the Bauer is greater than the blade of an Itech? Perhaps the boot is stiffer, but so is your dong for its hard on for Bauer marketing.

Since when does itech make skates?

And there is a lot of technology in top end skates and sticks these days. It's not all hype.

gojacketsgo61 06-23-2009 03:42 PM

Itech is Tier 2 some stuff may suck but there high end stuff ( goalie pads) like the x-wings and the latest RX's and a couple other are good. Winwell is tier 3 in my opinion

AintLifeGrand 06-23-2009 03:54 PM

oh ****, i forgot i posted this last night

i was just trying to make broad, asinine and biased statements regarding hockey equipment

Hockeyfan68 06-23-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 20022948)
Since when does itech make skates?

And there is a lot of technology in top end skates and sticks these days. It's not all hype.

A lot of today's modern gear is indeed great stuff.

I'm content with older closeout skates for cheaps that do a great job, there is nothing wrong with buying a 2003 $400 skate for $125 now.

Some companies size their stuff differently too ... a couple of examples I can give are with Bauer skate sizing. They fit my feet better than other companies do, obviously I've not tried every other company out there but I know Bauer will fit so I go back to them and have tried on skates by other companies and they did not feel right. I have owned a couple of pair of CCM skates but they were older skates and maybe their sizing is different than what they use now .... I have no idea.

So far I have liked the fit of CCM equipment like shinguards, out of the different brands I tried I liked those best .... it doesn't mean they are the best but they are the best for me from what I had available to try on.

RBK Elbow pads here too because they fit well when I treid them on.

Mission roller hockey pants with a Farrell girdle underneath.

Farrell shouldies, most comfy shoulder pads i have ever owned with virtually no restrictions at all.

Easton gloves and also CCM gloves. The CCM gloves are the cheap kind and incredibly comfy. I bought them at Walmart as a clearanced item for $15. I think the regular price was $30 or so.

Bauer helmet mainly.

I like CCM jerseys too because the ones they make now the XL fit like an XXL by other companies. I like the XXL CCM which fits like an XXXL. I am very thick chested and a big guy ... a XXL fits okay and fine but I like my jersey loose and blowing in the wind.

CCM jerseys are bigger than other company's jerseys.

So for the purposes of this thread I base my junk I buy on things like comfort and fit.

noobman 06-23-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand (Post 20023268)
oh ****, i forgot i posted this last night

i was just trying to make broad, asinine and biased statements regarding hockey equipment

...the real question on our minds is "why"?

stick9 06-23-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand (Post 20016911)

This ended when the OP ranked Winnwell with the likes of Reebok, CCM, Eagle, and Graf.

Plus, the only thing he got right in the top tier is Bauer and Easton.

Heat McManus 06-23-2009 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stick9 (Post 20023857)
This ended when the OP ranked Winnwell with the likes of Reebok, CCM, Eagle, and Graf.

Plus, the only thing he got right in the top tier is Bauer and Easton.

TPS Sticks and gloves are very good. Tackla has made some of the best pants anywhere for 20 years.