HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   (Goalie coach) Reggie Lemelin fired! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=654534)

KimiFerrari 06-25-2009 07:57 AM

(Goalie coach) Reggie Lemelin fired!

"Reggie Lemelin is out as Flyers Goalie coach. replaced by Jeff Reese. I really liked Reggie. Quality person."

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklun...-today/1/21713

I'm trying to find an official statement, but it may be to early in the AM.

ToTheNet 06-25-2009 07:58 AM

wow . . . first shocker of the Off-season. Clearing house time?

Get Carter 06-25-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Reggie Lemelin, the longest tenured member of the Flyers coaching staff, has been replaced.

A club source has confirmed that Lemelin's contract has not been renewed. The Flyers are expected to announce that Jeff Reese, who had been with Tampa Bay, has replaced Lemelin as the teamís goalie coach.

The Flyers had no comment on the matter.

The 54-year-old Lemelin had been with the Flyers for nearly 15 years, coming over from the St. Louis Blues during the 1993-94 season, and had worked with numerous Flyer goalies over the years, including most recently, Marty Biron and Antero Niittymaki.

A former goalie, Reese, 43, played 11 seasons in the NHL for five different teams and was with the Tampa Bay Lightning as goalie coach in 2004 when the club won the Stanley Cup.

Reese, a native of Brantford, Ont., was a big-time fan of Bernie Parent and Pelle Lindbergh growing up and once said he tried to emulate their styles. Reese once set an NHL record with three assists for Calgary in a game against San Jose in 1993.
http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...634&feedID=704

CharlieGirl 06-25-2009 08:15 AM

Wonder if Reggie said "Eff that, I'm not working with Emery" directly before he was fired.

IrishSniper87 06-25-2009 08:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl (Post 20045082)
Wonder if Reggie said "Eff that, I'm not working with Emery" directly before he was fired.

That was my first thought also.

KimiFerrari 06-25-2009 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Get Carter (Post 20045077)

Thanks i looked at the main Flyer's site and goggled it and found nothing, but then again it was 8:30am when I was looking.

UseYourAllusion 06-25-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

It does make one wonder, I mean Biron was hardly the worst goalie of his tenure, so why now?

IrishSniper87 06-25-2009 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion (Post 20045262)
It does make one wonder, I mean Biron was hardly the worst goalie of his tenure, so why now?

Probably Emery

sa cyred 06-25-2009 08:48 AM

Hey... Im not complaining. We needed some change for our goalies. Something has to be wrong. (Or this could be Mr. Emery's doing lol)

i am dave 06-25-2009 08:50 AM

This is GOOD news.

ToTheNet 06-25-2009 08:51 AM

maybe someone finally realized that their goalies always had issues that a goalie coach would be able to help with

Larry44 06-25-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Holy crap, CG. Just because the organization makes a smart move and doesn't renew Reggie's contract, it's Ray's fault? Not likely.

Also, Reese may come to Philly as a result of connection with Barber in Tampa.

BobbyClarkeFan16 06-25-2009 09:14 AM

Love it, love it, love it!!!!! This move was FAR too long in the making. 18 different goaltenders in 15 years. 18. At some point, someone needed to be held accountable for the play of the goaltenders here in Philadelphia and I'm glad that they finally decided it was time to move in another direction.

I really like Jeff Reese and he's done some real good work with some mediocre goaltenders. I think it's a real positive move and a move in the right direction to correct the carousel of goaltenders that have come through Philadelphia.

ForsbergIsOdin 06-25-2009 09:45 AM

YES!

VICTORY!

GKJ is happy now, lol

Dig Out Your Soul 06-25-2009 09:52 AM

Quote:

I think his contract was up and they chose not to renew, rather than firing him. This is long overdue, though, in my opinion.

Kaktus* 06-25-2009 09:55 AM

Emery put on that hat.

slap slap
slap slap slap
***** slap

Loong overdue... Should of done it much earlier.

turkinaa 06-25-2009 09:59 AM

It is about time to finally try something new like replacing the goalie coach. What scares me, however, is that Eklund was right.

CantSeeColors 06-25-2009 10:09 AM

Quote:

This was actually decided right after the season, long before Emery came around. I mentioned it in some other thread weeks ago but nobody seemed to notice.

Sawdalite 06-25-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion (Post 20045262)

Because enough was enough?... They had made other coaching moves with coaches that had better success. To me it is a surprise that they haven't made a move earlier to try and get some better consistency between the pipes... Granted, most of the problem may very well have been on the choice of goalies, and the cost and assets expended on obtaining and compensating them -- after all, you most times get what you pay for in life -- but the carousel of goalies in O&B over the span of his service has to count for something, does it not?

I have been calling for a change in goalie coaching for years... and I took Neil Little's appointment as a positive sign; I take this as an even better sign of better thing to come... I hope, anyway.

CharlieGirl 06-25-2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantSeeColors (Post 20046210)
This was actually decided right after the season, long before Emery came around. I mentioned it in some other thread weeks ago but nobody seemed to notice.

I hadn't seen that - thanks CSC.

I'm not upset with the non-renewal/firing/whatever you want to call it. New blood is not a bad idea. But there are bigger problems with the coaching staff than Lemelin.

Sawdalite 06-25-2009 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CantSeeColors (Post 20046210)

What information did you have back then, and now, to back up the statement on when the decision was decided on? I saw no hint, but many reasons why it should have been.

flyguy 06-25-2009 10:16 AM

I'm guessing that Lemelin had a big hand in raising our drafted goalies, and if that's so this should have been done a long time ago.

Sawdalite 06-25-2009 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl (Post 20046255)
I hadn't seen that - thanks CSC.

I'm not upset with the non-renewal/firing/whatever you want to call it. New blood is not a bad idea. But there are bigger problems with the coaching staff than Lemelin.

And the other coaches in the organization have been replaced time and time again over the 15 or so years that Reggie has held his position... My guess is that he thanked his lucky stars many nights over that span.

Sawdalite 06-25-2009 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyguy (Post 20046319)
I'm guessing that Lemelin had a big hand in raising our drafted goalies, and if that's so this should have been done a long time ago.

I understand that he was THE goalie advisor on all organizational levels -- although I can't back that up right now -- and he had a hand in goalie decisions and farm development... Neil Little took over or eased his burden on some of that.

Bob Clarke Fan Club 06-25-2009 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersJunky (Post 20046353)
And the other coaches in the organization have been replaced time and time again over the 15 or so years that Reggie has held his position... My guess is that he thanked his lucky stars many nights over that span.

How do you stay tenured for that long with these kinds of results? Wow....Imagine 15 years of "Fire John Steven's threads?"