HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Steckel Watch Begins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=65456)

King Blazer 03-27-2004 10:31 AM

Steckel Watch Begins
 
With Ohio State being eliminated from the NCAA tournament last night, David Steckel will be able to sign an ATO with the Monarchs or could be signed by the Kings. It will be interesting to see if Steckel is offered and accepts an opportunity to get an early start to his professional career. In their previous two seasons, the Monarchs have added Lehoux, Parros and Clarke via ATOs when their Junior & College seasons ended.

punchy1 03-27-2004 10:39 AM

Especially with Dave saying he would sign him. I would love a chance to have a look at him.

King Blazer 03-27-2004 10:50 AM

Additionally, Greg Hogeboom's Miami of Ohio team was eliminated yesterday as well so maybe he'll be coming on board as well. I know these are trying times for the Kings faithful and at least we may have an opportunity to "peer into the future"!

Game Misconduct 03-27-2004 04:21 PM

Neither player is NHL ready. If they play, it will be in Manchester IMO.

Here is a recent discussion on Steckel:

http://www.letsgokings.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=54598

Capn Brown 03-27-2004 04:57 PM

Hey, dammit, the Kings's faithful needs something to cheer them up, right? We might as well have Steckel & Hogeboom play in the last 2-3 games of the season. It couldn't hurt, they'd gain experience, and we might actually move up in the draft!

GO KINGS FUTURE!!!

GO STECKEL!!!

GO HOGEBOOM!!!

GO KINGS GO!!!!!!

Old Hickory 03-27-2004 07:53 PM

I am driving the Hogeboom bandwagon. I am very excited about this kid. I can't wait to see him in camp next year

TubbyTerrion* 03-28-2004 03:32 PM

both should get their ATO in Manchester and have a few games of experience prior to the start of the AHL playoffs. Certainly couldn't hurt.

Joe Dokes 03-28-2004 09:55 PM

I am more worried about Aaron Rome. Let's get him signed before he goes back in the draft.

punchy1 03-28-2004 10:42 PM

Hey John, you have to split driving duties with me then, I have been riding shotgun on that waggon since I read that bit on him at camp being our "most NHL ready prospect" as told by Andy Murray and Dave Taylor.

You drive the first yard, then my turn mate. I reckon him to be a dandy.

David A. Rainer 04-06-2004 08:08 PM

Anyone know if they've signed him?

Anyone want to set some odds on whether the Kings will actually sign him or take the 2nd round (30th pick in the round) pick?

And I don't want to hear all the Steckel is a long term project; this draft is weak; and other arguments. I know, I know... save it. The Kings would know better than any one of us whether there is better value from a 2nd round pick over Steckel.

What I want to hear is who thinks they won't tender him. I for one have a sneaking suspicion that the Kings are going to opt for the compensation.

two out of three* 04-06-2004 08:44 PM

Steckel? Please. My cousin saw this guy play, and says he is horrendous. Now this is 1 man's opinion, but my cousin knows alot about hockey, and plays it himself Division III for Buffalo State. So my guess is Id rather see Hogeboom.

agentfouser 04-06-2004 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
Anyone know if they've signed him?

Anyone want to set some odds on whether the Kings will actually sign him or take the 2nd round (30th pick in the round) pick?

And I don't want to hear all the Steckel is a long term project; this draft is weak; and other arguments. I know, I know... save it. The Kings would know better than any one of us whether there is better value from a 2nd round pick over Steckel.

What I want to hear is who thinks they won't tender him. I for one have a sneaking suspicion that the Kings are going to opt for the compensation.

so... do we have like bust prospect insurance? how would we get compensation for not signing him.

David A. Rainer 04-06-2004 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navigator
so... do we have like bust prospect insurance? how would we get compensation for not signing him.

1st round picks that are not tendered contracts go back into the draft. The team that originally signed him (and subsequently did not tender him) is awarded a compensation pick by the league. The pick is a 2nd round pick in the same position the player was originally drafted. CBA 8.3(b). This is only applicable to first round choices.

In Steckel's case, he was picked #30 in the first round so the compensation would be pick #30 in the 2nd round.

H_I 04-06-2004 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
1st round picks that are not tendered contracts go back into the draft. The team that originally signed him (and subsequently did not tender him) is awarded a compensation pick by the league. The pick is a 2nd round pick in the same position the player was originally drafted. CBA 8.3(b). This is only applicable to first round choices.

In Steckel's case, he was picked #30 in the first round so the compensation would be pick #30 in the 2nd round.

Just to note that the Kings will have until June 1, 2005 to sign Steckel per section 8.6 (b) of the current CBA. How the expiration of the CBA in September might affect this is anyone's guess.

I believe the players that must be signed by June 1 this year would be Aaron Rome, Joel Andresen, Mark Rooneem, George Parros, and Dan Welch. I know Welch and Parros are with Manchester, but to the best of my knowledge, they haven't signed with the Kings yet.

Capn Brown 04-07-2004 01:07 AM

So if we don't sign him, he's automatically "devalued". Does he then go back into this draft? It'd certainly be funny if DT doesn't sign him, he goes back into this draft, and we pick him up again with our 9th round pick! LoL! Play the strategy game, DT!


Do we get anything if we don't sign Rome? I ask this because Rome was selected via a compensatory (IIRC) pick from the Wild (for Ronning not resigning with us or some damn thing).

David A. Rainer 04-07-2004 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Daleks
So if we don't sign him, he's automatically "devalued". Does he then go back into this draft? It'd certainly be funny if DT doesn't sign him, he goes back into this draft, and we pick him up again with our 9th round pick! LoL! Play the strategy game, DT!

I think Ottawa did that with Chouinard. They didn't sign him and chose him again in the 2nd round or something like that.

Quote:

Do we get anything if we don't sign Rome? I ask this because Rome was selected via a compensatory (IIRC) pick from the Wild (for Ronning not resigning with us or some damn thing).
No. Under this section, only comp. picks for 1st round picks.

Belanger25 04-07-2004 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
I think Ottawa did that with Chouinard. They didn't sign him and chose him again in the 2nd round or something like that.



No. Under this section, only comp. picks for 1st round picks.

I believe Chouinard played in the CHL system which means they have that 2 year period to sign after being drafted. I believe American College Kids and Europeans don't have the chance leave. They are the Kings rights til 31 I believe under this CBA.

And yes only First rounders get Comp picks.

David A. Rainer 04-07-2004 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belanger25
I believe Chouinard played in the CHL system which means they have that 2 year period to sign after being drafted. I believe American College Kids and Europeans don't have the chance leave. They are the Kings rights til 31 I believe under this CBA.

And yes only First rounders get Comp picks.

CBA says that an NHL team retains the rights to college players so longs as they "remain bona fide college" players. Once they leave college, the team retains their rights for 180 days or until the next June 1, after which they lose their rights. CBA 8.6(b)(i). If during that time period, the players requests the tendering of a contract, the NHL club has 30 days to tender him a qualifying offer. If no qualifying offer is made, the college player goes back into the draft. CBA 8.6(b)(ii-iii).

Capn Brown 04-07-2004 04:32 AM

Assuming we don't sign Steckel, what round do you think he'd be selected in? At this point, I'm not seeing him having much more value than a 4th/5th round selection.

Old Hickory 04-07-2004 08:54 AM

I think Steckel's game is better suited for the NHL than the NCAA. He's is a really big guy and could be very effective if he used his size. Thje one positive thing I saw from him in prospects camp last year was his hands, he's also got a great wrist shot

Belanger25 04-07-2004 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeathFromAbove
CBA says that an NHL team retains the rights to college players so longs as they "remain bona fide college" players. Once they leave college, the team retains their rights for 180 days or until the next June 1, after which they lose their rights. CBA 8.6(b)(i). If during that time period, the players requests the tendering of a contract, the NHL club has 30 days to tender him a qualifying offer. If no qualifying offer is made, the college player goes back into the draft. CBA 8.6(b)(ii-iii).


Thats really good to know. Thanks. I didn't know that ruling

Capn Brown 04-09-2004 04:37 PM

I'll ask again. If we don't sign Steckel and he goes back into the draft, what round would he be selected in?

jfont 04-09-2004 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Daleks
I'll ask again. If we don't sign Steckel and he goes back into the draft, what round would he be selected in?

i would guess from 3rd to 5th...but you never know in a weak draft like this year, he could go 2nd...

H_I 04-09-2004 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Daleks
I'll ask again. If we don't sign Steckel and he goes back into the draft, what round would he be selected in?

I think the Kings have until June 1, 2005 to sign Steckel under the current CBA..

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBA 8.6
(b) (i) A player selected who is a bona fide college student at the time of such selection or who becomes a bona fide college student prior to June 1 of the calendar year next following the date of his selection may be retained on the Reserve List of the claiming Club as an "unsigned draft choice" so long as he remains a bona fide college student and thereafter for 180 days plus the period between the end of said 180 days and the next June 1; provided always that such a player may at any time by notice in writing delivered to the claiming Club, with copy to the Central Registry, declare his desire to be tendered a Player Contract with that Club.

Also, Steckel is not eligible to be drafted, per section 8.4 (a) (iv)

Quote:

(iv)a player age 21 or older who played hockey for at least one season in North America when he was age 18, 19 or 20.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:39 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.