HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Pavel Bure (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=65656)

AEKaki 03-27-2004 11:51 PM

Pavel Bure

I still believe he can play, or possibly give it a shot to play...
Being a UFA at the end of the season, who will give this player a chance.

Like I said in the Allison thread, it all depends on Bure.
If he doesn't ask for money, he might end up anywhere...

Vagrant 03-27-2004 11:55 PM

I'd say chances are pretty good that New York won't give him the time of day with the rebuilding process they've got going up there. I'd also eliminate any teams that didn't make the playoffs this year, even the Kings. The last thing they need is another injury prone forward.

I'd have to say that Tampa Bay, Detroit, Colorado, Philidelphia, Boston, and Buffalo would be the front runners. That's just my opinion, but I could argue for any of them. Colorado could possibly lose Selanne or Kariya as well. I'd say a great place for Bure would be a place where there isn't so much weight on his shoulders to perform. A place he can hide on the 3rd line and slowly work his way back to form.

Damien 03-28-2004 12:02 AM

If i was the Flames GM I would take a chance on him... to possibly have another gamebreaking player behind Iginla on RW would be great, while giving Kobasew more time to mature. Most if not all Flames fans would disagree with me thought because Bure would never fit into our system and Sutter would never take a risk on a all offense player like Bure AND considering past issues with Valeri and money it is pretty much fantasy. But it would comfort me to have the guy that broke my heart in that overtime in 1994 in game 7 by splitting the defense then beating Kidd to win the series on our side.

Burnaby_Joe* 03-28-2004 12:10 AM

he should go back to vancouver. :D

Trottier 03-28-2004 12:53 AM

Considering we are not talking about play money and instead are talking about about cold hard ca$h, I'd caution any team offering anything beyond much to either a guy coming off a ripped up knee and a history of knee problems (Bure) or a guy returning (if he even does) from head related injury/symtoms that sidelined him for more than an entire season. Damaged goods are not usually good business investments. See: Eric Lindros.

The beloved GM of my team recently traded for an often-injured dman. Guy played three wretched games and split on the team for personal reasons.

Shop wisely.

Drake1588 03-28-2004 01:31 AM

One would assume that teams will be interested if the player(s) in question are willing to play for what essentially amount to conditional contracts, contingent on games played and certain production baselines. Maybe not as generous as the Lindros contracts, but along similar lines. If the player(s) balk, then it could be difficult to find takers. This is not a great time to be shopping one's self, as an expensive question mark.

deathbear 03-28-2004 01:38 AM

you know what will be interesting is if he's gonna play in the world cup or not.

does anyone have any bure-related news at all?

Ironchef Chris Wok* 03-28-2004 01:54 AM

"Hockey will be played in hell before Pavel Bure is back in a Canuck Uniform"

-Paraphrased Brian Burke.

not quite yoda 03-28-2004 02:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok

Now that's funny. What were his exact words though?

The Flash 03-28-2004 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caniacforever
I'd say chances are pretty good that New York won't give him the time of day with the rebuilding process they've got going up there. I'd also eliminate any teams that didn't make the playoffs this year, even the Kings. The last thing they need is another injury prone forward.

I'd have to say that Tampa Bay, Detroit, Colorado, Philidelphia, Boston, and Buffalo would be the front runners. That's just my opinion, but I could argue for any of them. Colorado could possibly lose Selanne or Kariya as well. I'd say a great place for Bure would be a place where there isn't so much weight on his shoulders to perform. A place he can hide on the 3rd line and slowly work his way back to form.

I would eliminate Philly. I don't think they have the money neccessary to spend on him. With a salary cap looming, the Flyers could be looking to cut some salary this summer, not add. Detroit could be a good fit, if Yzerman retires. I think the days of the Pavel as we remember him are over. He will be best on a team that asks him to play a 2nd line role and compliment the team instead of carrying them.

Das Rancor 03-28-2004 05:39 AM

I'd actually be happy to see him on the Island... If he'd come at about 2m$ + performance bonuses...

GKJ 03-28-2004 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by espion
Now that's funny. What were his exact words though?

Not too much different from that.

He's not going to be going out to the Western Conference, for reasons I don't think I be very specific with, but you would have to know his past, and the original reasons why Pavel wanted out of Vancouver. I wouldn't be shocked if Valeri and Pavel were to end up on the same team, maybe even end up in Florida again. I think Pavel would perfer a big ticket city and would take less to play in Toronto, Philly or Boston. The Rangers have been playing this like he is retired, and I wouldn't be suprised if he actually is.

DownFromNJ 03-28-2004 09:29 AM

Quote:

If i was the Flames GM I would take a chance on him... to possibly have another gamebreaking player behind Iginla on RW would be great, while giving Kobasew more time to mature.
I agree completely.

Kevin Forbes 03-28-2004 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ironchef Chris Wok

Brian Burke won't have much say in it if he's not the GM in Vancouver....

Ziggy Stardust 03-28-2004 11:23 AM

Bure needs a new pair of bionic knees. Get some steel plates put in... so if some chump like Marchment goes knee hunting, POW, steel plate to your shins foo! :joker:

Oiler94 03-28-2004 11:54 AM

How are Edmonton's chances at Bure?

Edmonton is all about speed. He'd be a great addition, and he's my favorite player on top of all that.

Slats432 03-28-2004 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oiler94
How are Edmonton's chances at Bure?

Edmonton is all about speed. He'd be a great addition, and he's my favorite player on top of all that.

:joker:

As far as I am concerned there are so many players that would be better suited to Edmonton than Bure. How about if we concentrate on keeping Nedved as opposed to adding a guy that plays with two bad wheels?

Clint 03-28-2004 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
Not too much different from that.
I wouldn't be shocked if Valeri and Pavel were to end up on the same team, maybe even end up in Florida again.

After Dudley traded Val (for the second time in a row) and then bad mouthed him, Valeri basically said he would never play for the Panthers again. Don't think Pavel would be an addition either, as we're going through the whole youth movement, and basically any forward over 25 is pretty much unwelcome.

He was the most exciting damn player to watch though, I'll give him that much :yo: .

Yayo 03-28-2004 03:53 PM

I'd like to see the Avs take a chance on him next season...sign him cheap with lots of bonuses if he manages to stay healthy, produces, etc. That is if he is willing to play.

Burke's Evil Spirit 03-28-2004 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forbesy
Brian Burke won't have much say in it if he's not the GM in Vancouver....

It's not about Brian Burke, apparently Pavel Bure really hates the Canucks organization.

ArtG 03-28-2004 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
It's not about Brian Burke, apparently Pavel Bure really hates the Canucks organization.

..and he hates the city too. Oh well.. I'd rather look at bure pre-1995 and remember those memories than anything having to do with him afterwards... :dunno:

Wingboy2999 03-28-2004 05:12 PM

I would not mind him in Detroit. But we can not rely on him at all. He needs to have his playing time cut down because of the whole no defense factor. Hopefully he could fit in, because it seems like all Detroit forwards have some type of defensive game. I am not saying they are incredible but they are decent.

deathbear 03-28-2004 05:48 PM

again, what makes any of you think he's going to play again? have any of you heard any news?

all i know is that he hasnt retired, and that his brother has said pavel has never once said anything about retiring to him either. i guess that's a pretty good sign in itself, but does anyone know anything else?

Epsilon 03-28-2004 09:26 PM

If the dollar signs can be worked out correctly, I don't see why you wouldn't want to take a chance on him. I certainly wouldn't offer him a lot of guaranteed money though.

Burke's Evil Spirit 03-28-2004 11:07 PM

Bure is fine defensively. Terry Murray really drove that into him in Florida.