HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Kovalev re-signing this summer? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=65675)

theo6060 03-28-2004 01:20 AM

Kovalev re-signing this summer?
 
Seriously, what are the odds. I'm sure we'd all agree that we are looking for a goalscoring forward of Kovalev's stature (despite the fact he hasn't score a goal in every game) but let's face it, what are the odds he signs with Montreal this summer?

Lets look at the facts. He has said that he doesn't play for the money, but what player doesn't? He'll take $6M over $4M any day just like any sane person, but with all the free agents and the CBA coming up, what do you Habs fans think are serious, non biased, actual possibilites that this superstar decides to re-sign in Montreal? I've heard he likes it here, but is he prepared to take a pay cut? Post your predictions, I'm interested to see what others think from a non-fan basis on his UFA status this off-season.

EaGLE1 03-28-2004 01:36 AM

Depending on how he will contribute in the playoffs, heres what i think...

1.if we are eliminated in first round and Kovy is not a factor = 10%
2.if we are eliminated in first round and Kovy is a factor = 20%
3.if we past first round & Kovy play OK = 25%
4.if we past first round & Kovy is stellar = 50%

I think that we will be eliminated in the first round and Kovy will be good, so i give
1/5 chances of resigning him. With the CBA coming, it would be surprising to sign him. I think he will ask around 6 millions $, so our chances are slim.

not quite yoda 03-28-2004 01:42 AM

Well if he continues to be a non-factor, I don't understand why Gainey would give 5M$+. So if he continues on the same pace, I say there is a 0% chance as we will have no interest in a big ticket player who doesn't play like one.

If he picks up his game soon, I will change my opinion.

tinyzombies 03-28-2004 02:23 AM

I hope not. We finally have a team that works its ass off. Having this guy around is a bad example from what I've seen so far and what my Ranger friends tell me.

montreal 03-28-2004 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theo6060
Seriously, what are the odds. I'm sure we'd all agree that we are looking for a goalscoring forward of Kovalev's stature (despite the fact he hasn't score a goal in every game) but let's face it, what are the odds he signs with Montreal this summer?

Lets look at the facts. He has said that he doesn't play for the money, but what player doesn't? He'll take $6M over $4M any day just like any sane person, but with all the free agents and the CBA coming up, what do you Habs fans think are serious, non biased, actual possibilites that this superstar decides to re-sign in Montreal? I've heard he likes it here, but is he prepared to take a pay cut? Post your predictions, I'm interested to see what others think from a non-fan basis on his UFA status this off-season.



I'll take the other side of it and wonder if Gainey will attempt to resign him. He'll have to take a pay cut, imo, no way do I see Gainey shelling out anywhere near 6M even though the guy had over 40 goals only 3 years ago, we will already have Theo at 6M, Koivu at 4.5M, Brezzy at 4M, Rivet at 3M, and Souray, Zednik, Ryder and Ribeiro all up for a solid raise. Ryder and Ribs shouldn't be too bad cause they are still young and not making much this year, but Souray and Zednik should be over 2M each but hopefully under 3M a piece.

I know the new cba will have an effect, but it's not till sept 15th, so everybody hopefully is signed by then unless it looks really bad. But even if we go far in the playoffs, I would think that management tries to keep a somewhat tighter grip on the finances.

But if he would take a pay cut, and wants to play here next year, I can't see why Gainey wouldn't want him back. He just turned 31, so he should have a few years left in the tank I would think.

I hope he's brought back next year, just not at 6M, as I think it will take him till next year to fully adapt to the system. Dowd seems to fit the system well cause he came from a system, whereas Kovy came from a free for all.

EaGLE1 03-28-2004 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
I hope he's brought back next year, just not at 6M, as I think it will take him till next year to fully adapt to the system. Dowd seems to fit the system well cause he came from a system, whereas Kovy came from a free for all.

System, System, System...So the guy can't score because he have not adapted to the system yet.

I know it's hard to adapt to a new team, but we exagerate when we say that Kovalev is having a hard time on the offence because of our system. :teach:

leafaholix* 03-28-2004 10:07 AM

You guys are going to have to dish out $6,000,000+ for the guy.

Something that's not necessary with all the great young offensive talent on that team.

fulk hogan 03-28-2004 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
You guys are going to have to dish out $6,000,000+ for the guy.

Something that's not necessary with all the great young offensive talent on that team.

With the flood of UFA's and non-tendered RFA's on the market, I think many players will have to take a pay-cut. I think he could be had for around $5M; if not him, someone else of his calibre.

JV 03-28-2004 10:31 AM

I don't think Gainey parted with Balej and a second rounder to get Kovalev for 6 weeks. Although it was always possible that that's exactly what he'd get, I think Gainey had his eye on Kovalev as a potential piece for a couple of years at least. If he doesn't make an effort to re-sign him (no matter how things go over the next few weeks) I'd be very surprised.

Duster 03-28-2004 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EaGLE1
System, System, System...So the guy can't score because he have not adapted to the system yet.

I know it's hard to adapt to a new team, but we exagerate when we say that Kovalev is having a hard time on the offence because of our system. :teach:

I respectfully disagree. It takes a while to instinctively switch from a free form offensive team to a trap system to begin with, particularly if you are a creative player. Can you see Forsberg, Fedorov, Lang and other highly skilled offensive players taking to the trap immediately? You adapt to the system first then make it work for you as one player who is part of the team. I don't think Kovalev has ever played the trap in his career so he's still learning. He's use to playing firewagon hockey.

It took about 20 games for the team as a whole to get it right this year. Kovalev has played nine games and has to change how has played for the past 13 years. Cut the guy some slack...

L3DZ3P 03-28-2004 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
You guys are going to have to dish out $6,000,000+ for the guy.

Something that's not necessary with all the great young offensive talent on that team.

This is exactly what I think,we don't need him.Lets give a chance to young guns like Perezhogin and Kostistsyn.

leafaholix* 03-28-2004 10:43 AM

Kovalev has been known to underachieve... if he wants underachieve... let it be in Florida, Atlanta, or somewhere else. No need to sign him to a $5,000,000+ contract... you could have Nicklas Lidstrom this summer if he decides to not resign with Detroit.

I wouldn't pay a penny over $3,000,000 for Kovalev. He's just not consistent.

electric 03-28-2004 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix
you could have Nicklas Lidstrom this summer if he decides to not resign with Detroit.

LOL, that's not going to happen.

L3DZ3P 03-28-2004 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electric
LOL, that's not going to happen.

No that is not going to happen but i think is point was that we could save alot of money.

montreal 03-28-2004 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EaGLE1
System, System, System...So the guy can't score because he have not adapted to the system yet.

I know it's hard to adapt to a new team, but we exagerate when we say that Kovalev is having a hard time on the offence because of our system. :teach:



I don't think it's exagerated at all. Look at Dowd, he's fit in well but he came from one of the top coached systems in the NHL. He's had no problems at either end of the rink. We play a similar system to the Wild, hence the easy in fitting in. Kovy comes from a do whatever you want out there system. Right off the bat you could see him staying on the ice too long, but now seems to be taking shorter shifts cause that's what Julien wants to match up lines.

I don't even think he's been that bad. He skates so well it looks like it takes no effort whatso ever, but to me he hasn't hurt the team outside 2 bad calls on him. I think he could help this team offensively for a few years as long as the money is right, imo.

Zednik 03-28-2004 11:32 AM

I wouldn't sign Kovalev, he's useless for our team, he just doesn't fit. Take the money and sign a TRUE defenseman.

Duster 03-28-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
I don't even think he's been that bad. He skates so well it looks like it takes no effort whatso ever, but to me he hasn't hurt the team outside 2 bad calls on him. I think he could help this team offensively for a few years as long as the money is right, imo.

Good point. It seems to be problem with most large, highly skilled players. They are always perceived as being lackadaisical when in fact it's economy of movement. Mario Lemieux was a good example.

I hope we do resign him. I don't think the fans and the media have the patience though. Both are already on his case and if I were him I would say "who needs this?".

theo6060 03-28-2004 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
I don't think it's exagerated at all. Look at Dowd, he's fit in well but he came from one of the top coached systems in the NHL. He's had no problems at either end of the rink. We play a similar system to the Wild, hence the easy in fitting in. Kovy comes from a do whatever you want out there system. Right off the bat you could see him staying on the ice too long, but now seems to be taking shorter shifts cause that's what Julien wants to match up lines.

I don't even think he's been that bad. He skates so well it looks like it takes no effort whatso ever, but to me he hasn't hurt the team outside 2 bad calls on him. I think he could help this team offensively for a few years as long as the money is right, imo.

I think you hit the nail on the head with that. Dowd played for a team that plays very similar, hence no transition as far as style is concerned. I agree with what you say though, when Kovalev does figure out the system, he could be golden. I would be fine if he took $4M next year, he seems like a team player willing to learn.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zednik
I wouldn't sign Kovalev, he's useless for our team, he just doesn't fit. Take the money and sign a TRUE defenseman.

I disagree with that. He is not useless. Just because he has only one goal with Montreal doesn't make him useless. Like Montreal has said, he is in a learning phase right now and that sort of thing takes time, but he looks like he's all for learning the system. I expect by the playoffs he'll be a lot more comfortable with the system and I hope he comes back. I love watching him stickhandle, he's very creative. But again, I stress the point that he is learning a new system. It's tough to go to a new team that plays a very differnet style than you've played you're whole career. And he's still in the feeling out process right now. Look at Bondra in Ottawa, he's still getting aclimated to a new team even though he's already played 19 games. It takes time guys, patience. When Kovalev comes around, there will be a lot of people screaming for him to be re-signed.

gohabsgo2010 03-28-2004 02:26 PM

This is from BG's Press Conference a week before he dealt for Kovalev.

Quote:

It's difficult to bring a new player on to the team so late in the season, because he may have difficulty being integrated into the system and getting used to his teammates. While he did not rule the possibility out, saying that it could happen, he mentioned that Owen Nolan is a much better player for the Toronto Maple Leafs now than he was when during his time with Leafs last season, referring to Nolan being more comfortable in his new situation.
I would bet that when Bob said that, he meant it.

Quote:

No one player will take charge and lead the team every single night, so we have to have many players taking turns and standing up tall when need be.
I would bet that this is something still on his mind, too. Kovy will step up guys, just brace yourself for the explosion.


Source : http://www.habsworld.net/show_big_news.php?id=405

Munchausen 03-28-2004 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theo6060
what do you Habs fans think are serious, non biased, actual possibilites that this superstar decides to re-sign in Montreal?

With bipolar fans cheering him like he scored in OT of a playoff game when he just poted an empty neter to boo him two games later because he takes 2 bad penalities, I'd say slim to none. Actually, I don't see any free agent being thrilled about coming to Montreal with the kind of moronic crowds that pack the Bell Center on a nightly basis, except the ones who are still crazy enough to want to come here because they're huge Habs fans (ie: Ian Laperriere).

EaGLE1 03-28-2004 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by montreal
I don't think it's exagerated at all. Look at Dowd, he's fit in well but he came from one of the top coached systems in the NHL. He's had no problems at either end of the rink. We play a similar system to the Wild, hence the easy in fitting in. Kovy comes from a do whatever you want out there system. Right off the bat you could see him staying on the ice too long, but now seems to be taking shorter shifts cause that's what Julien wants to match up lines.

I don't even think he's been that bad. He skates so well it looks like it takes no effort whatso ever, but to me he hasn't hurt the team outside 2 bad calls on him. I think he could help this team offensively for a few years as long as the money is right, imo.

Kovalev himself said that in the offensive zone, he have the same liberty he had with the Pens, and he like that a lot. I know he have to adapt in the other two zones to avoid costy mistakes, that's the big part of the system learning in my book. But, I don't think we can blame the system for the low output of goals.

Kovalev have not been bad so far, but not good too. He missed a couple of scoring chances that could have lead to 2 or 3 goals. What I don't understand is why Kovalev don't do the effort to beat the defenceman 1 on 1 to get near to the net and shoot a lazer.

I think Kovalev would play better if used on the right side. Also, I think we should keep him on a line and stick with it. I know CJ is trying to experiencing, but I don't think that it help Kovalev. CJ should use the Ryder-Ribs-Kovy at all time. I'm sure they can do damage in the playoffs!

If you look at Kovalev career, he as been a underachiever for the most part of his career. And then at 29, he had a great 95pts output. I think that Kovalev don't try hard enough to create things on the ice. I would like to keep him for several years but not at all cost, 5millions max.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:42 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.