HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Value of: Huet to Colorado (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=656787)

99 steps 06-30-2009 08:37 AM

Huet to Colorado

With the Hawks rumored to be nearing an extension with Khabibulin, Tallon must find a taker for Huet.

Colorado seems like a likely destination, especially if Sakic retires and with Budaj signed inexpensively.

What bad contract(s) can the Hawks take back from Colorado? Foote or Tucker?

CapsWolverinesUSA 06-30-2009 08:44 AM

Colorado would be insane to do this when they can grab Marty Biron for far less money and fewer years and get a player who is far more proven as a fulltime #1.

EagleBelfour 06-30-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA (Post 20150488)
Colorado would be insane to do this when they can grab Marty Biron for far less money and fewer years and get a player who is far more proven as a fulltime #1.

Martin Biron is asking for 5M/year

CapsWolverinesUSA 06-30-2009 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleBelfour (Post 20150513)

I'm sure. But he won't get it. There are about 2-3 teams with even the potential of a #1 goalie vacancy, and one of them is the team he just left.

In any event, even if Biron got his asking price, it would still be more than more than half a million per year less than Huet.

strungout 06-30-2009 08:51 AM

Too bad the Theodore ship has sailed in Colorado.

Psycho Papa Joe 06-30-2009 08:53 AM

Quote:

Well from a cap perspective, if the AV's could rid themselves of a bad contract, such as Tucker, trading for Huet might make more sense than signing Biron and keeping said crappy contract.

99 steps 06-30-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe (Post 20150590)
Well from a cap perspective, if the AV's could rid themselves of a bad contract, such as Tucker, trading for Huet might make more sense than signing Biron and keeping said crappy contract.

That's kind of what I'm thinking. Maybe this:

To Colorado: Huet

To Chicago: Tucker, 2010 3rd
or...
To Chicago: Foote, 2010 4th

CapsWolverinesUSA 06-30-2009 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe (Post 20150590)

But they're an awful team in a rebuild. I guess doing so would save them some cash in the short-term but it would hamstring them in a year or two when they're trying to return to playoff contention. Tucker is gone after this year. Clark is gone after this year. Foote and Salei are gone after this year. The Avs' contract situation becomes dramatically better after this season -- a season which is essentially already lost.

What they should do, and appear to be doing so far, is biting the bullet for a year, grabbing another top prospect in the top-5 of the draft, shed all that salary, and then start planning a tactical re-tooling. Trading short-term contracts for Huet is totally contrary to that approach.

P0ckets 06-30-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 99 steps (Post 20150403)
With the Hawks rumored to be nearing an extension with Khabibulin, Tallon must find a taker for Huet.

Colorado seems like a likely destination, especially if Sakic retires and with Budaj signed inexpensively.

What bad contract(s) can the Hawks take back from Colorado? Foote or Tucker?

with the exception of Smyth and Hannan (both have NTC), Colorado's bad contracts all end after this season so I really see no point to trade those away for a bad contract that goes on for a couple more seasons.

Benji Frank 06-30-2009 09:30 AM

Teams will make offers for Giggy before Huet. Chicago is stuck with him at least for the short-term. If a kid like Price continues to poop the bed and Montreal spent a few bucks on free agents tomorrow and beyond, then maybe they're forced into a situation where they take Huet back ... but it'll take a scenario like that in Montreal or elsewhere before Huet has value.....

NOTENOUGHBREWER 06-30-2009 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EagleBelfour (Post 20150513)

Cheaper than Huet. Give Biron 2 years at that price is still even better than giving up assets for a more expensive and longer signed Huet.

noobman 06-30-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by strungout (Post 20150568)
Too bad the Theodore ship has sailed in Colorado.

Yeah, because he was such a clutch performer for Washington in the post-season.

Anyways... don't the Avs still have ANDREW RAYCROFT?

IMO Martin Biron seems like the logical choice here.

P0ckets 06-30-2009 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 20151119)
Yeah, because he was such a clutch performer for Washington in the post-season.

Anyways... don't the Avs still have ANDREW RAYCROFT?

IMO Martin Biron seems like the logical choice here.

no, he's an ufa as of midnight tonight

HawksTillDeath 06-30-2009 09:44 AM

The only way this will happen is if Chicago sends prospects or picks the other way

i think it would an acceptable trade if:

Chicago sends: Huet + Skille + Toronto's 2nd picks (or Chicago's 1st) in 2010

Colorado sends: Hannan or Foote

thedoctor 06-30-2009 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawksTillDeath (Post 20151276)
The only way this will happen is if Chicago sends prospects or picks the other way

I might think about that deal, actually. you're absolutely right that's the only way it goes down.

P0ckets 06-30-2009 09:58 AM

Quote:

Hannan nor Foote's caphit is as bad as Huet's and being that the Avs are currently in cap hell that makes no sense.

falconski 06-30-2009 10:04 AM

Quote:

skille and a pick from Chicago?

done and done (though we may need to add in tucker for cap purposes for this year)

Drake1588 06-30-2009 10:12 AM

I still can't believe that Chicago would willingly enter into another season with both expensive goaltenders, especially if both are now on multi-year deals.

It was foolish last season when the Khabibulin contract was about to end and there was only one year of overlap. It's insane to give him a multi-year deal now without first dealing Huet. What if they are stuck with $13M in goaltending for three years? What happens when Kane, Toews need extensions?

You can't always bank on a taker for a big contract, and you would think that of all teams, Chicago would realize this reality.

Mules 06-30-2009 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA (Post 20150639)
But they're an awful team in a rebuild. I guess doing so would save them some cash in the short-term but it would hamstring them in a year or two when they're trying to return to playoff contention. Tucker is gone after this year. Clark is gone after this year. Foote and Salei are gone after this year. The Avs' contract situation becomes dramatically better after this season -- a season which is essentially already lost.

What they should do, and appear to be doing so far, is biting the bullet for a year, grabbing another top prospect in the top-5 of the draft, shed all that salary, and then start planning a tactical re-tooling. Trading short-term contracts for Huet is totally contrary to that approach.

Wow..you know Avs cap situation more than I do!:nod:

Some of us think that it's another lottery year..which is not bad considering Taylor Hall will be on the block next year :D

Drij 06-30-2009 11:00 AM

Sorry but no way they will trade Foote.

Flapjack* 06-30-2009 11:15 AM

The Hawks arent bringing back Khabby.

So this trade doesnt happen.

QcS 06-30-2009 11:24 AM

Avs just re-signed Budaj (who will make a good backup). If i was them, i`d just make an offer to Josh Harding tomorrow.

Xspyrit 06-30-2009 11:38 AM

Quote:

Really? :laugh:

Huet >>> Biron

Bonzai12 06-30-2009 11:39 AM

I'd be ok taking back Huet with 2 years left on his contract but not three.

I believe (or rather HOPE) the Avs have learned their lesson and aren't going to give 5+ million over several seasons to guys anymore.

I think Chicago's stuck with this contract. Welcome to cap hell.

Blackhawkswincup 06-30-2009 12:20 PM

Quote:

Could we at least get a franchise QB for our Bears,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Oh wait :laugh: