HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   2004 Draft class and discussion (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=65684)

2goodtimes 03-28-2004 02:47 AM

2004 Draft class and discussion

Since we're roughly 2 losses away from being mathematically eliminated, i took the liberty to start the summer hype of the next future Kings draftee.

Should be a great way to help take our minds off of the current play of the Kings, as we watch them mutter away a playoff berth for the 2nd year in a row.

So, with what appears to be the 12th (subject to change over the final 4 games)overall pick of the 2004 NHL draft, the Los Angeles Kings select (fill in the blank). Give some reasoning behing your pick.

- Alvaro Montoya G CCHA U of Michigan, if he isn't available my backup selection would be Marek Schwarz G CZE Sparta

The biggest weakness of our farm is the lack of a bonified blue-chip goalie prospect. Either Montoya or Schwarz will fill this void nicely. IMO

Anyone?

Legionnaire 03-28-2004 03:39 AM

Sounds good to me.

GKJ 03-28-2004 08:24 AM

I think the Kings pick a goalie also. Schwartz is supposed to be better than Montoya, but Montoya was a borderline 1st rounder at the start of the season, now he is around where Schwartz is.

Old Hickory 03-28-2004 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson
I think the Kings pick a goalie also. Schwartz is supposed to be better than Montoya, but Montoya was a borderline 1st rounder at the start of the season, now he is around where Schwartz is.

Montoya backstopping the US team to the gold medal is going to help his draft position. I would be happy with either

Here is a link to a Schwartz/Montoya debate

Venom_17 03-28-2004 12:02 PM

I have four words for the first round: Goalie Montoya Goalie Montoya.

I want to see us make a move to get this kid. He can obviously win! That's what we need in here. I would like to see us get an American or French Canadian goalie instead of another European 'tender.

T2M 03-28-2004 12:02 PM

If I was going to take one of them, I think it'd be Schwartz. All the mixed reviews on Montoya are concerning me and just because he won in the Gold Medal game at the WJC's (which he shouldn't have, if Canada had gotten their act together and got their heads on straight) everybody's touting him as top notch. Frankly, I don't believe in drafting a goalie in the first round unless he's ranked top 5. That means that DiPietro's, Fleury's and Blackburns are all ok, but I don't see one of those kind of goalies in this year's crop. My money is on Mike Green and/or A.J. Therien. Top notch defensemen which you can never have enough of. Since the draft is such a crapshoot and we don't have any second rounders this year, you want that first rounder to count. Drafting goalies is not a good way to get a pick to count. They're the biggest crap shoots at all. Plus, I also think that Ryan Munce is the kind of goalie who was ok at 18, will be looking like a solid pick at 20 and by 22 everybody'll think he was one of the steal's of the draft. Seems to be a consistent performer and a clutch goalie. Just because we don't have big name value at the moment, doesn't mean we don't have good goalies. When you draft a goalie, you're looking 5 years down the road. Defensemen 3, and forwards 2. That's why I'm not big on spending an important pick on a possible boom or bust goaltender. Too much risk for my liking.

T2M

Capn Brown 03-28-2004 01:00 PM

Ummm, dudes, wasn't Storr a 1st round pick, too? I wouldn't select a goalie in the 1st round of the draft. I mean, just because nobody has any faith in Cechmanek and we all know there are better goalies than Huet doesn't equate to "the Kings should obviously draft a goalie in the 1st round".

I believe DT should make a strong push to acquire Luongo in the off season. Dunno who we'd be giving up, but Cechmanek is a start. Him, our 1st, and Camm for Luongo is much more reasonable than drafting a goalie in the 1st round, IMHO.

Assuming we keep our 1st round pick, I'd like the Kings to go after a center.

Frolov 03-28-2004 01:03 PM

I doubt either is available by the time we pick. Most likely Shwarz will be taken around #5 and Montoya will go before #10 IMO.

Frolov 03-28-2004 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Daleks
Ummm, dudes, wasn't Storr a 1st round pick, too? I wouldn't select a goalie in the 1st round of the draft. I mean, just because nobody has any faith in Cechmanek and we all know there are better goalies than Huet doesn't equate to "the Kings should obviously draft a goalie in the 1st round".

I believe DT should make a strong push to acquire Luongo in the off season. Dunno who we'd be giving up, but Cechmanek is a start. Him, our 1st, and Camm for Luongo is much more reasonable than drafting a goalie in the 1st round, IMHO.

Assuming we keep our 1st round pick, I'd like the Kings to go after a center.

Luongo is probably the best goalie in the league right now. And he's only what 23? Why in the world would Florida trade him now?

Get real dude.

KINGLEWOOD 03-28-2004 09:43 PM

My opinions on what the Kings need for the furure:

1. A #1 Goaltender, I would be happy with either Montoya or Schwartz, and I think they should get Adam Hauser under contract.

2. A top line Center, Allisons future is uncertain, Aulin's gone, Steckel isn't a top line Center, and Boyle's upside still hasn't been determined. If the Kings are unable to draft or develop one then they should try and trade for Jokinen.

3. A real big nasty heavy hitting defencemen, I think we may have one of the best group of young d-men in the League but you never can have enough guys who can punish the opposing fowards and clear the front of the net.

Overall I think the Kings future is bright! Were seeing more and more depth every year and the quality of the Kings drafting and developing has been 1st class.

Chartrand 03-28-2004 10:58 PM

We just saw Montoya and the Wolverines in the NCAA championship tourney in Manchester and IMO the comparisons to Turco are accurate.

I don't know much about him, but I think the Kings' need for a goalie is desperate enough to take a chance on Montoya or Schwarz. Not that Munce and Zaba are bad prospects, but RIGHT NOW future NHL success for either one would be a 'surprise', where future NHL success for someone like Montoya is considered fairly likely. Hype isn't everything though, I'll be the first to admit.

A top line Center as KINGLEWOOD put would be a great alternate.

I think their prospects of picking a defenseman are directly related to whether or not Aaron Rome is signed.

Scottkmlps 03-28-2004 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Daleks
Him, our 1st, and Camm for Luongo is much more reasonable than drafting a goalie in the 1st round, IMHO.

Yeah, okay. How about you start with Frolov, Grebeshkov, 1st round pick, etc., etc. for Loungo. A young goalie, who is a very strong candidate to win the Vezina, will not be traded.
The Kings should go after Biron. If I see Cechmanek in net for the Kings again, I think I'll puke.

maximil 03-28-2004 11:50 PM

It really depends where the Kings pick. Obviously, it would be nice to have a top end goaltending prospect but I'd be surprised if they didn't pick "the best availible player". If your pick pans out you can trade the player for a goaltender that can help immediately. Picking goaltenders with high picks is risky buisness.

Fat Elvis 03-29-2004 10:03 AM

Most of the talk has been that this is a weak draft year with the exception of the 1st 5-7 players. I have not heard that either of the goalies are sure things and if they are why would they fall to the low teens 13-15? If they are highly touted they would go top ten for sure in such a weak draft? If we don't move up in the draft I don't see us doing anything out of the ordinary and pick the best possible skater and then get the spin that they are a franchise player and we were lucky they fell to us. Sound familar?

punchy1 03-29-2004 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2goodtimes
Since we're roughly 2 losses away from being mathematically eliminated, i took the liberty to start the summer hype of the next future Kings draftee.

Should be a great way to help take our minds off of the current play of the Kings, as we watch them mutter away a playoff berth for the 2nd year in a row.

So, with what appears to be the 12th (subject to change over the final 4 games)overall pick of the 2004 NHL draft, the Los Angeles Kings select (fill in the blank). Give some reasoning behing your pick.

- Alvaro Montoya G CCHA U of Michigan, if he isn't available my backup selection would be Marek Schwarz G CZE Sparta

The biggest weakness of our farm is the lack of a bonified blue-chip goalie prospect. Either Montoya or Schwarz will fill this void nicely. IMO

Anyone?

Actually, there have been many threads that have covered this topic and who we should/will draft this year and the odds on favourite here is Montoya as well.

So, nothing new but, I reckon it is a grand thing to keep these types of posts on the board so we can keep focused on the positive.

Montoya is a grand one as is Schwartz. I posted a question a few days ago on the prospect board on who would be the better goalie prospect and it is torn. Have a look and you will find it on the prospect page.

I reckon that since we are dead loaded with grand defencive and wing prospects and that it is unlikely we will find a superstar first line center to draft (due to the weak draft this year *or as it is reported to be*) that we actually might want to draft the best goalie prospect available.

Montoya (Schwartz) might just be the best available player for us to draft. I hope so. We have a few good goalie prospects that are doing pretty well in the minors (Marsters,Zaba,Munce) but to add a true number one prospect would be right smart.

Of course, I would hope that we don't ever see him in a Kings uni until he is 24 or so years old (at least) especially since we have such a grand farm team to tune him up in, but, we would do well to nab one of them.

Legionnaire 03-29-2004 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AHL MV
We just saw Montoya and the Wolverines in the NCAA championship tourney in Manchester and IMO the comparisons to Turco are accurate.

I don't know much about him, but I think the Kings' need for a goalie is desperate enough to take a chance on Montoya or Schwarz. Not that Munce and Zaba are bad prospects, but RIGHT NOW future NHL success for either one would be a 'surprise', where future NHL success for someone like Montoya is considered fairly likely. Hype isn't everything though, I'll be the first to admit.

A top line Center as KINGLEWOOD put would be a great alternate.

I think their prospects of picking a defenseman are directly related to whether or not Aaron Rome is signed.

IMO you can't have too many good goaltending prospects. If there has been one thing that the Kings haven't had in my tenure as a Kings fan, it's been a superstar goaltender.

Old Hickory 03-29-2004 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
IMO you can't have too many good goaltending prospects. If there has been one thing that the Kings haven't had in my tenure as a Kings fan, it's been a superstar goaltender.

I couldn't agree more.

Worst case scenario, the guy we hopefully pick this year,Munce and Zaba all pan out and are all number 1 goalies. We trade one to the Eastern Conference for a forward, d-man or pick

palffytofrovlov 03-29-2004 03:09 PM

I think the Kings need a goalie, But also need a TRUE #1 Center.... I think that is something we missed all year.... We have lots of forwards coming up but not an IDEAL #1 Center that has skill and size....

Legionnaire 03-29-2004 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingsjohn
I couldn't agree more.

Worst case scenario, the guy we hopefully pick this year,Munce and Zaba all pan out and are all number 1 goalies. We trade one to the Eastern Conference for a forward, d-man or pick

Yep. Look no further than Buffalo. They could easily recoup their investments in guys like Biron and Noronen.

Legionnaire 03-29-2004 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by palffytofrovlov
I think the Kings need a goalie, But also need a TRUE #1 Center.... I think that is something we missed all year.... We have lots of forwards coming up but not an IDEAL #1 Center that has skill and size....

I think the only way that is going to happen is if we finish in the bottom five, or there is an exceptionally deep draft(like last year) and we get a little lucky.

Top centers are probably the hardest thing to get in the draft because any and every team could use them. A talented natural center is not a position that when drafting you look at your prospect depth and say "hmm we've already got a lot of those". No, you look at you board and say "Is this guy more talented than what we already have?". Most of the time you say yes.

Jungle Boy 03-29-2004 11:23 PM

Malkin would be a great pick for the Kings. I think that people in the prospect boards don't realize the things he's done. he is almost one year younger than Ovechkin, he is already playing in the RSL and he is scoring points. I would trade Allisson for the 2nd overall alone. Other nice pick would be Olezs other #1 center. then we use our own to pick a goalie.

Fat Elvis 03-29-2004 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jungle Boy
Malkin would be a great pick for the Kings. I think that people in the prospect boards don't realize the things he's done. he is almost one year younger than Ovechkin, he is already playing in the RSL and he is scoring points. I would trade Allisson for the 2nd overall alone. Other nice pick would be Olezs other #1 center. then we use our own to pick a goalie.

No one would take Allison for the 2nd pick. If you had the 2nd pick would you gamble on Allison for it?

Jungle Boy 03-29-2004 11:41 PM

There is a thread on the CLB page making this prop:
Lecraile and Kosmachev For Allisson and a 2nd in 2005. And John Bucigross wrote about the Kings trading Allisson.

2goodtimes 03-30-2004 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
I think the only way that is going to happen is if we finish in the bottom five, or there is an exceptionally deep draft(like last year) and we get a little lucky.

Top centers are probably the hardest thing to get in the draft because any and every team could use them. A talented natural center is not a position that when drafting you look at your prospect depth and say "hmm we've already got a lot of those". No, you look at you board and say "Is this guy more talented than what we already have?". Most of the time you say yes.

To get into the top 5 pick area, we most certainly would have to give up 2 or 3 of our most solid assets. Allison does not attract the same audience he used to as before the injury. We could get a good player at number 12 if we stand pat, as i'm sure there are more than 12 quality players in both domestic and international play.

The other thing to consider is, based on the organizational ranking of teams and their weaknesses, which of these teams are lacking both a goalie and a center? Since there really isn't a science used in making a selection, everything is a crap shoot, but realistically, how many teams will take a chance on two goalies in the top 11 picks ahead of us?

Just a thought

Legionnaire 03-30-2004 01:24 PM

Quote:

To get into the top 5 pick area, we most certainly would have to give up 2 or 3 of our most solid assets. Allison does not attract the same audience he used to as before the injury. We could get a good player at number 12 if we stand pat, as i'm sure there are more than 12 quality players in both domestic and international play.

I was talking about actually finishing in the bottom five points wise in general-not just for this draft. I wouldn't even consider trading the assets that would be necessary to move up.

Quote:

The other thing to consider is, based on the organizational ranking of teams and their weaknesses, which of these teams are lacking both a goalie and a center? Since there really isn't a science used in making a selection, everything is a crap shoot, but realistically, how many teams will take a chance on two goalies in the top 11 picks ahead of us?

Just a thought

That was basically my point. We are not going to get a quality first line center at pick 10-14. Therefore, if a Montoya is available(which he should be-Schwarz might be gone by our pick though) we take him.