HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Confirmed Trade with Link [MTL/NYR] Higgins/McDonagh/Janik/Valentenko for Gomez/Tom Pyatt/Busto - Part 2 (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=657486)

Redwingsfan 07-01-2009 08:37 AM

[MTL/NYR] Higgins/McDonagh/Janik/Valentenko for Gomez/Tom Pyatt/Busto - Part 2

Continue..

SnygGo 07-01-2009 08:42 AM

Quote:

So.. Who else than Saku is out from Montréal now?
Higgins?:sarcasm:

Agalloch 07-01-2009 08:43 AM

Probably Tanguay too

Next Best Thing* 07-01-2009 08:43 AM

Higgins trade value was pretty bad......

ranold26 07-01-2009 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 20183004)
Higgins trade value was pretty bad......

Not as bad as Gomez's. :laugh::laugh:

Next Best Thing* 07-01-2009 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranold26 (Post 20183011)
Not as bad as Gomez's. :laugh::laugh:

Says who, HF?

People here live in their own imaginary world..

Sargent Pepper* 07-01-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Next Best Thing (Post 20183042)
Says who, HF?

People here live in their own imaginary world..

Yup, they do, don't they! :shakehead

It is obvious that some are too emotional to make good judgement call. When the majority of the world says its a good deal for both team, then it probably is.....notwithstanding the few blue bad apples here who troll for an arguement otherwise....

TwineSniper 07-01-2009 09:08 AM

I don't understand how this deal needs to preclude others?

"I guess no Koivu, Tanguay, Lecavalier, Sedins, blah blah blah"

right now Montreal only has 30 players with a contract, out of the 50 player limit.

We would have needed help down the middle regardless if Koivu/Tanguay were still under contract or not, so there's still room for them.

jaems 07-01-2009 09:09 AM

Higgin's trade value was bad, but Gomez's value didn't warrant Montreal's top prospect. Even if he gets Gaborik or Hossa beside him, he's still overpaid for what he bring and doesn't have what it takes to lead a team to the Finals.

Brooklyndevil 07-01-2009 09:10 AM

Sather did sign Gomez to a bad contract, but amazing how he not only unloaded it, but what he got in return. Great trade by Sather. And Gomez goes from the pan right into the fire. He better hope he has at least an 80 point season. Right about now, I figure he's missing New Jersey a lot. In his case, the grass sure ain't greener on the other side.

Sargent Pepper* 07-01-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 20183210)
I don't understand how this deal needs to preclude others?

"I guess no Koivu, Tanguay, Lecavalier, Sedins, blah blah blah"

right now Montreal only has 30 players with a contract, out of the 50 player limit.

We would have needed help down the middle regardless if Koivu/Tanguay were still under contract or not, so there's still room for them.

I agree with your assessment......actually, I think Kovy and Tangay will be back......but on the D front...I think Komi is gone....

If this is right, I can see Gainey try to sign a couple of D today....including 2 top 4 D....

Gomez will fit well in Montreal's game plan. Gomez is used to play with a game plan and was lost in the NY free for all....until Tort arrive....then they got a game plan but did not make provision for players like Gomez in that plan ....so he is now with another team.....same ol NHL story...one day you fit in, the next, you are gone!

Sargent Pepper* 07-01-2009 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 20183238)
you are entitled to your opinion, immature as it is.

we all read you the first time, no need to come back every 10 posts or so with the same "OMGGZZZZZZZLOLLLLLLLLLLROWR!!!!111!!"

I hope you are man enough to admit your mistake if the unthinkable (/sarcasm) happens and this trade works out for us.

Expectations will cause you heart burns! :)

You really beleive that something good will come out of that guy? lol

TheHMan 07-01-2009 09:15 AM

I still can't believe Gainey actually did this, I knew he wasn't the greatest GM but I never took him for a guy who could be outright fleeced by another GM.

Sather deserves major props for manoeuvring a deal like this. I don't know how he managed to pull it off. This has not been a good year for hab fans and I feel for them.

Levitate 07-01-2009 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper (Post 20183249)
Gomez will fit well in Montreal's game plan. Gomez is used to play with a game plan and was lost in the NY free for all....until Tort arrive....then they got a game plan but did not make provision for players like Gomez in that plan ....so he is now with another team.....same ol NHL story...one day you fit in, the next, you are gone!

NY had a very strict game plan under Renney...it was also just a very defensive game plan. Calling it a free for all is ignorant

That style probably didn't help Gomez, but he also struggled on his own, making many bad decisions and generally not playing well for long stretches. He may have been hurt for a decent part of the season.

TwineSniper 07-01-2009 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper (Post 20183266)
Expectations will cause you heart burns! :)

You really beleive that something good will come out of that guy? lol

that's just the thing. I don't know. On the surface, I don't like the trade, just like most people.

But I'm being logical, I'm reserving my judgement until I see the product on the ice. Not too many people around here can say the same thing.

jaems 07-01-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper (Post 20183180)
Yup, they do, don't they! :shakehead

It is obvious that some are too emotional to make good judgement call. When the majority of the world says its a good deal for both team, then it probably is.....notwithstanding the few blue bad apples here who troll for an arguement otherwise....

Good deal for both teams?

I can comprehend the Gomez for Higgins swap. It's very similar to the Theo/Aebischer trade in that one team wanted to take a risk and acquire an underperforming, high-paid player who has shown the ability to play at a high level.

The difference is that Colorado didn't include a prospect. I can't understand why Gainey would throw in McDonagh, without getting a quality prospect from New York back. I'm sure Rangers fans would've been content with Higgins for Gomez straight up, knowing they didn't have to trade a draft pick or prospect to get rid of one of the worst contracts in the NHL.

Sargent Pepper* 07-01-2009 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sawyer (Post 20183305)
that's just the thing. I don't know. On the surface, I don't like the trade, just like most people.

But I'm being logical, I'm reserving my judgement until I see the product on the ice. Not too many people around here can say the same thing.

Yes I think it prudent to wait and see on the ice.....but, I just cant believe that we got a first line guy without really paying front line price....It just happened so that Tort does not care for Gomez and NY wanted to shed one of their millions of players with multi year, multi million dollars contracts.......With a 7.3 cap hit over 4 years, he will be fine in Montreal....

Subban76 07-01-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaems (Post 20183214)
Higgin's trade value was bad, but Gomez's value didn't warrant Montreal's top prospect. Even if he gets Gaborik or Hossa beside him, he's still overpaid for what he bring and doesn't have what it takes to lead a team to the Finals.

Says who? Hockey Future :laugh: They don't know ****!

It was well known in the Habs organization that McDonagh did not progress this year, had a very average World Juniors and was surpassed by Weber and Subban at D in our prospect pool.

Habs don't think he will turn out as good as expected, probably an OK 4th D at best, sothat + a airhead party boy like Higgins for a center like Gomez who brought is team to 2 cups is not overpayment at all, in fact, its a steal. The only thing that makes this deal fair is Gomez's contract that we are absorbing. If Gomez was paid fair value, this deal would be a complete steal.

Higgins and McDonagh are not that great players. An excellent 3rd liner + a probable 4th D for a #1 center...THANK YOU Sather :handclap:

Sargent Pepper* 07-01-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaems (Post 20183336)
Good deal for both teams?

I can comprehend the Gomez for Higgins swap. It's very similar to the Theo/Aebischer trade in that one team wanted to take a risk and acquire an underperforming, high-paid player who has shown the ability to play at a high level.

The difference is that Colorado didn't include a prospect. I can't understand why Gainey would throw in McDonagh, without getting a quality prospect from New York back. I'm sure Rangers fans would've been content with Higgins for Gomez straight up, knowing they didn't have to trade a draft pick or prospect to get rid of one of the worst contracts in the NHL.

If there was a few first rate centers available throught the league (Trade or FA), I would agree with you but Montreal has been trying for 3 years now to get a top center for the team....Saku just wasnt cutting it.....The only viable, top center available really was Gomez.....when the LeCavalier trade did not pan out.....

McDonagh had a much publicised sub par year and did not look anything like the predicted superstar he was last year.....Given that without this deal, we would have had to scapped the bottom of the baril to line up 4 quality centers.....We do not have that issue anymore.....Given that Higgins had run his course in Montreal....this deal is really a no brainer.....even at the cost of Mcdonagh

Lilou 07-01-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain Komi (Post 20183367)

It was well known in the Habs organization that McDonagh did not progress this year, had a very average World Juniors and was surpassed by Weber and Subban at D in our prospect pool.

Habs don't think he will turn out as good as expected, probably an OK 4th D at best, sothat + a airhead party boy like Higgins for a center like Gomez who brought is team to 2 cups is not overpayment at all, in fact, its a steal. The only thing that makes this deal fair is Gomez's contract that we are absorbing. If Gomez was paid fair value, this deal would be a complete steal.

Higgins and McDonagh are not that great players. An excellent 3rd liner + a probable 4th D for a #1 center...THANK YOU Sather :handclap:

Oh man this is good. You can't spin this one mister. Hab fans have been riding McDonugh's d*** for a while now but once he's traded in come the "lul he wasnt dat good anyways" comments.

HEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHHE!!!

Sargent Pepper* 07-01-2009 09:28 AM

Quote:

Well said! I would have added that a #1 center at a very affoardable cap hit of 7.3M over the next 4 years....Just what the doctor ordered for the Habs! :handclap::handclap:

Subban76 07-01-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sargent Pepper (Post 20183397)
If there was a few first rate centers available throught the league (Trade or FA), I would agree with you but Montreal has been trying for 3 years now to get a top center for the team....Saku just wasnt cutting it.....The only viable, top center available really was Gomez.....when the LeCavalier trade did not pan out.....

McDonagh had a much publicised sub par year and did not look anything like the predicted superstar he was last year.....Given that without this deal, we would have had to scapped the bottom of the baril to line up 4 quality centers.....We do not have that issue anymore.....Given that Higgins had run his course in Montreal....this deal is really a no brainer.....even at the cost of Mcdonagh

Unbelievable how many people no nothing about the players and jump to idiotic conclusions. Habs got the best in this deal palyer wise. Its Gomez"s contract that makes it fair, but we had no choice and needed at center. Does not even a #1 center that"s eligible to become UFA next year either. It was that or Koivu for at lkeast another 2 years and BTW, Koivu is now 34, physucally burnt and not capable ofm playing more than 15 minutes, so no is not as good as Gomez like some idiots are saying.

I still can't believe are people are misreading this trade. I trust more guys like Bob McKenzie who thinks is a good deal for both sides than all the arm-chair GMs on this site.

coolbean04 07-01-2009 09:30 AM

Rangers fan here,

I can't believe how Sather pulled off such a trade. I'm really happy with the pieces we got.

I like Gomez a lot, I think he needs to play with a sniper to utilize his skills. Even though he didn't have the greatest year last year, I still think he's a very solid player. I would still want him on the team if it wasn't for his contract.

Another thing we have to look at is what does the Rangers do with the available cap space? If they sign someone like Hossa or Gaborik for 7.5M or under, I think that's a good deal. If they're giving someone like Antropov 5.5M then it's a bad deal.

As for Montreal, the team got better by this trade. They could've improved there team differently with the money being paid to Gomez but the GM feels Gomez is there guy.

In the end, I think Gomez helps the team but fans will never be satisfied because of how much of the cap he eats up.

MisterUnspoken 07-01-2009 09:32 AM

Quote:

This post is accurate because if you take salary out of it (which you can't REALLY do) Gomez is the best player in the deal by far.

However the Rangers don't mind (and in fact thought it was a steal before we learned McDonagh was in it) this trade from a talent point of view because of the salary space saved.

Subban76 07-01-2009 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilou (Post 20183427)
Oh man this is good. You can't spin this one mister. Hab fans have been riding McDonugh's d*** for a while now but once he's traded in come the "lul he wasnt dat good anyways" comments.

HEHHEHEHEHEHEHEHHE!!!

:laugh:

News flash, most Habs fan know **** like most fans, especially about prospects. You are certainly in that category.

McDonagh had a poor season and did not develop well, that is a FACT. Habs fan only remember Timmins comment when he was drafted 3 years ago. Lots of things have changed since :shakehead

I can't wait for people to look back at this in 3-4 years and say that in the end, Habs got the better deal.

I will trust Bob Mckenzie's opinon over yours any day my friend.