HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   News Article: Sullivan resigned (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=658114)

DManPreds11 07-01-2009 05:17 PM

Sullivan resigned

Thank you Thank you Thank you GOD!! 2 years 7.5

MOD EDIT:

The link - http://predators.nhl.com/team/app/?s...ticleid=433106

Enoch 07-01-2009 05:21 PM

Vernon Fiddler signed 2 years, 2.2 million (1.1 per) - Phoenix

Greg Zanon Signed 3 years, 5.8 million (1.93 million per) - Minnesota

Lol at Fiddler.

Meh at Zanon

Welcome back Sully. Now if we can get you to show up for one playoff series either health wise or performance wise.....

echlfreak 07-01-2009 05:24 PM

Great signing on Sully and Wardo...lost Zanon and Fiddler...no big deal.

But, so far it looks like another year of putting the same team on the ice for more money. Lets wait and see how they add from here to improve.

Right now we are still weaker than last year based on the loss of Zanon, Koistinen.

So far the same team as last year but for 1.25 extra a year

Joe T Choker 07-01-2009 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DManPreds11 (Post 20212093)
Thank you Thank you Thank you GOD!! 2 years 7.5

I'm pissed ... that's too god damned much money for a player on the wrong side of 35 & we still need to sign another top 6 Forward, thanks alot Poile for hamstringing us AGAIN

Enoch 07-01-2009 05:40 PM

Cammalleri got 6 million. Lets relax and be happy that we actually retained Steve. Is it too much? Maybe, but at least we have a top 6 forward!

DManPreds11 07-01-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by echlfreak (Post 20212662)
Great signing on Sully and Wardo...lost Zanon and Fiddler...no big deal.

But, so far it looks like another year of putting the same team on the ice for more money. Lets wait and see how they add from here to improve.

Right now we are still weaker than last year based on the loss of Zanon, Koistinen.

So far the same team as last year but for 1.25 extra a year

Fiddler is the worse loss of the three, if you even want to consider that a loss. We'd be better off with prospects getting ice time making the same mistakes that those three made all season and we'd end up with more points. I bet no neck is crying his eyes out when hearing about losing Fiddler, lol.

DManPreds11 07-01-2009 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 20213666)
Cammalleri got 6 million. Lets relax and be happy that we actually retained Steve. Is it too much? Maybe, but at least we have a top 6 forward!

I agree, if it took 6mil. to get him in Montreal it would've takin more to get him here in Nashville and as much as I'd like to have him here that's too much. With Sully's point per game production and the fact he's a class act getting him @ 3.75/per season is a steal.

Jarnberg 07-01-2009 06:30 PM

He's still a risk at his age, but he held up well last year. Poile showed some balls signing him, given that we are on the hook for his salary if he gets injured seriously again.

Likely our cheapest and best option for a top 6 forward. Too bad we aren't likely to get another one.

With that, glad to have him back. Lets hope he stays healthy and gets this team going again.

dulzhok 07-01-2009 06:45 PM

Well, I'm relieved to know that it our owners/gm are atleast giving us a chance (albeit a small one).

Now, we need a decent vet dman. Our oldest is 26. McKee would be decent.

I wish the best for Sully, but have a feeling he's not going to be 82 game point-per-game player during this contract.

Sign Hamhuis to extension?
Sign Rinne to extension?
Trade for more scoring?
Ditch one of Legwand/Erat? (both are overpaid.. we can't afford overpaid players on this roster)
Far out chance of Radulov returning?

Jarnberg 07-01-2009 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 20216816)
Sign Hamhuis to extension?

We had trouble signing him last time.. I have a feeling he will price himself out of our market.

Quote:

Sign Rinne to extension?
I have a feeling Poile will wait until after this season, which will likely mean having to spend more to resign him. Unless of course he pulls a Mason or Ellis on us, but we're screwed then too.

Quote:

Trade for more scoring?
We only have Ellis, Hamhuis and prospects to trade imo. Ellis will probably be kept incase Rinne falters.

Quote:

Ditch one of Legwand/Erat? (both are overpaid.. we can't afford overpaid players on this roster)
I believe both have NMCs.

Quote:

Far out chance of Radulov returning?
Our best chance at a top 6 forward

Enoch 07-01-2009 07:39 PM

Yeah, we are stuck in a tough spot. We need to get Rinne signed. I'm hoping we can lock him for 4-5 years for less than 4 million per.....If we wait and he performs like last year, good luck with that.

Hamhuis - the writing is on the wall. We probably need to deal him regardless of where we are at this year, but his contract is so affordable it is hard to move him......Then again, I think this is the most expensive year on his deal, so it might not be as team friendly as it is cap friendly. EDIT: I just checked and Hamhuis is making 2.5 million dollars this year with a 2 million dollar cap hit.

crossxcheck 07-01-2009 08:33 PM

probably a slight overpayment, but sully is a class act, a good leader, and just fun to watch. I'm not displeased.

dulzhok 07-01-2009 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 20219835)
Hamhuis - the writing is on the wall. We probably need to deal him regardless of where we are at this year, but his contract is so affordable it is hard to move him......Then again, I think this is the most expensive year on his deal, so it might not be as team friendly as it is cap friendly. EDIT: I just checked and Hamhuis is making 2.5 million dollars this year with a 2 million dollar cap hit.

I think it comes down to what he wants for an extension.

If he wants 2.5-3.5 @ 5 years, you gotta pull the trigger.

If he wants 4-5 million, then we start looking to trade him for a scoring.

Here's the problem... Poile preaches about our strength on defense. But in reality, our defense has been very average. These kids (Weber, Suter, Hamhuis) are just starting to pull it all together. If we rotate them out once they get good and once we have to pay them, we will be stuck forever in mediocrity (or worse).

Enoch 07-01-2009 08:52 PM

If Poile can resign him for 3.5 or less - you do the deal. With that said, Hamhuis is a number 2. His value will be at 4.5-5 million. To get him to sign for less than 4, doesn't seem possible. Lets say he splits the difference - 7 years, 28-30 million....This is a semi-realistic scenario (see Legwand/Erat). Can we absorb that contract though? I don't think we can. We finally have a tough top 3, but I just do not think we will be able to invest in Hamhuis going forward barring ownership infusing a few more dollars into the budget. Ideally we could resign both Rinne and Hamhuis long-term, but to do that, we are going to have to move Erat/Legwand. Of the two, I would move Erat because Legwand, I believe, is the better fit here in Nashville. However, this would then open up another hole in our top 6. Unless Wilson develops quickly, we simply have no one to fill a cheap role in our top 6. This is where the Radulov situation hurts the most. We finally got a cost-controlled legitimate top 6 forward........and he bolts for Russia. Now we are stuck looking for UFA options, and the overpricing continues (Gionta at 5 million? Camalleri at 6 million? UGH!).

dulzhok 07-01-2009 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch (Post 20224333)
If Poile can resign him for 3.5 or less - you do the deal. With that said, Hamhuis is a number 2. His value will be at 4.5-5 million. To get him to sign for less than 4, doesn't seem possible. Lets say he splits the difference - 7 years, 28-30 million....This is a semi-realistic scenario (see Legwand/Erat). Can we absorb that contract though? I don't think we can. We finally have a tough top 3, but I just do not think we will be able to invest in Hamhuis going forward barring ownership infusing a few more dollars into the budget.

Then trade him.

IMO, he's not a number 2, at least yet.

darth5 07-02-2009 07:50 AM

With the D-man pipeline this team has, one of Blum, Franson, etc. will likely be brought up to replace Dan when his contract is up.
BTW, Does DP need a hearing aid? How could he have misunderstood the contract length issue with Sully??

ffwrx 07-02-2009 09:14 AM

I thought it was Sully's agent trying to get more.

DManPreds11 07-02-2009 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yoda of the chains (Post 20237095)
BTW, Does DP need a hearing aid? How could he have misunderstood the contract length issue with Sully??

I know when I heard that this morning it infuriated me, this shows Poile's lack of ablility to run our team. You have your best top 3 scoring forward and you think he's wanting 3 or 4 years so your goin to let him walk, does DP know how to negotiate if that was the case in which it wasn't? Thank God Sully heard bout DP talkin junk about him wanting a 3/4 year deal and called, so again the player doing the work for DP. If you look in the past the big free agents we've signed wasn't because of Poile, it was because of Greg Johnson and the others (Dumont/Arnott) agents calling Poile because their client was interested in coming here to Nashville. What does that dude do for us? I had Kotalik on my radar since FA market opened up yesterday morning but I bet Poile hasn't even contacted his agent because he's done. So now that's he telling us he(Poile) is done no player's agent will be calling thus again leaving us with the same squad as last season that struggled to score goals. The only way we make the playoffs this season is if Sully can stay healthy for atleast 2/3 of the games this season. Frustrating!:help:

lstcyr 07-02-2009 06:12 PM

Is it possible it was all a staged event? Poile says to Sullivan's agent "we can only do two years". Agent says "sully wants more". Talks to Sully who says, "yeah, I'll take it but let's do it publicly". Poile goes on the air. Sully does his tweeting. And, lo and behold, a deal is worked out. Sully looks good. Poile gets what he wants.

OpenWheel 07-05-2009 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstcyr (Post 20254061)
Is it possible it was all a staged event?

Sure, anything's possible. But after Nashville fans hear things such as Poile not even contacting a free agent because he assumes they don't want to play here, and then they call him and end up playing here...

It seems more likely to me that Sullivan or his agent pushed for three years figuring they could fall back to two if the money was right, and Poile, not always being the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to free agents, sort of gave up because he only wanted to pay for two and they asked for three.

I'm beginning to think Poile is reasonably smart, but has some autistic tendencies where he focuses on one thing to the exclusion of all others.

lstcyr 07-05-2009 09:41 PM

And several sets of owners have put their hockey clubs in his hands for multiple years without noticing or caring? Unlikely.

barrytrotzsneck 07-05-2009 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstcyr (Post 20301228)
And several sets of owners have put their hockey clubs in his hands for multiple years without noticing or caring? Unlikely.

Not several...three...and one of which has held the team for a shade over a year.

I think the opinions of David Poile range from wild genius to burn in effigy, though the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Overall, I think he's a touch overrated...to be fair, he's made some "diamond in the rough" type signings over the year, but by his own admission may have been accidental (such as Ellis and Ward, both of whom were signed for Milwaukee but by dumb luck ended up winning spots on the team)...and the public opinion in Washington was what you're starting to see here...a guy who seemingly made good decisions, drafted a lot of defensemen, but could never seem to draft a forward or get over the playoff hump.

And it IS true that Poile himself has admitted that Kariya, Arnott, and Dumont weren't "proactive" signings. He received calls from their agents, after reasoning that they "probably wouldn't be interested." Just like "Sullivan probably wants more than two years, so there's no point in even talking to him."

Can you see where there's some cause for concern?

lstcyr 07-06-2009 11:06 AM

I can see why you have some concern. I'm sure we don't have all of the information so I'm not as concerned. I think he's done a better job than most GMs would have with the situations that he's had.

Did the Capitals improve all that much after he was gone. Weren't they terrible for quite a number of years without him?

barrytrotzsneck 07-06-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lstcyr (Post 20305510)
I can see why you have some concern. I'm sure we don't have all of the information so I'm not as concerned. I think he's done a better job than most GMs would have with the situations that he's had.

Did the Capitals improve all that much after he was gone. Weren't they terrible for quite a number of years without him?

they went to the stanley cup finals two years after Poile left. They went into a "rebuild" period after that which saw Jason Allison, Peter Bondra, Sergei Gonchar, Brendan Witt and several others leave the team, culminating in the draft of Ovechkin, and marking the beginning of their "new" era.