HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Are you Happy with the Moves Today? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=658212)

Marchy79 07-01-2009 05:25 PM

Are you Happy with the Moves Today?

Yes our team is looking very different, there is still many things to look at, and many players to decide upon.

But we did do alright today.
Replacing Komi w/ a defenceman who can put up some offensive threat is a huge plus for me. to me the game is won on the scoreboard, and once a goal was scored we were anemic.

This changes that.
Panother plus, we have a winner on the team, someone who has been to the promised land, and knows the game.
He's a huge playmaer, and we added a goalscorer to befit that.
Camalleri is a spark plug winger who will not quit, something the habs sorely needed. He DOES find scoring areas on the ice, and I AM extremely optimistic of the kindling of some chemistry with Gomez.
Gomez is a tough SOB to play against. He may not be huge, but he's like Killer in the sense he doesnt let ANYONE push him around/ Intimidate him. He's no shrinking violet, & neither is Camalleri.

Add in possibly Kovalev, w/ the kostitsyns w/ pleks (or maybe koivu/Lang) & we have a very competent top 6.

We have patches, Dago, Maxwell to cover bases, in case of injury.

The bottom six is still incredibly solid, with Laps, Mets, Chips, Lats, BGL, D'ago, amongst some...

& the d,
Markov, Hamr, & Spacek, are 3 competent defencemen. 2 wy threats, that can hurt the opposition on the scoreboard, while playing responsibe defence.
Gill, O'Byrne & Gorges are 3 solid defensive syled d-men who cover the back end and PK competently.
I do believe O'Bee Won will cover the hole left by Komi sufficiently, and in the long run he could be a very solid choice.
add in there, Carle, Subban (who is incredible), and a few others, we are deep.

in net, Price & Halak...

Im not worried, if we gel we can be avery solid team, and hard to beat. Much harder than last year.

Jakomyte 07-01-2009 05:27 PM

As of now, I'd say the skill level is pretty comparable to past year's teams. What we won't find out until this fall is how well they gel together.

I also have a feeling Gainey still has at least one more move up his sleeve...

oberan1 07-01-2009 05:27 PM

another blogger put it best: individually, these deals look horrid, but the Habs are looking alright.

JrHockeyFan 07-01-2009 05:28 PM

Isuspect deals will be made to promote one or two at least from the Digs

Rscorpio 07-01-2009 05:28 PM

Don't tell me that we are done....

Turboflex* 07-01-2009 05:29 PM

Habs get some skilled, fast, hard working guys up front.

Habs get some veteran D men on the rearguard with playoff experience.

Whats the problem here? Add in better coaching from Martin and the Habs should be improved as long as the goaltending holds up.

MathMan 07-01-2009 05:30 PM

I think too many people are solely evaluating some players by height and weight.

But that puzzle still needs a first-line RW to be complete.

Dr_Hook 07-01-2009 05:30 PM

yeah congratulation to us ! We finally are the smallest softest team in the league

mbison7 07-01-2009 05:31 PM

the only thing i am worried about is we did not get bigger in the forward position. as for D i like the gill aquistion we now have someone big to clear the traffic in front of Price. if we can resign lang at a low price then we will have our large center. not a bad day imo

sampollock 07-01-2009 05:31 PM

we bite.

too small, again

you like smurf teams?

lillypad33 07-01-2009 05:32 PM

I wonder about some things...

1) Is Gomez that much better than Saku? Would 4.5 have gotten Saku signed? 3 million is a good player now a days...

2) Is Cammalieri that much better than Alex Tanguay? I'm sure that AT would have signed for long term at 4.5....

3) Can the Habs fill the muscle void left by Komisarek. I am sure that the D can clear the zone better now....but they need some muscle...

Mustafa* 07-01-2009 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lillypad33 (Post 20213184)
I wonder about some things...

1) Is Gomez that much better than Saku? Would 4.5 have gotten Saku signed? 3 million is a good player now a days...

2) Is Cammalieri that much better than Alex Tanguay? I'm sure that AT would have signed for long term at 4.5....

3) Can the Habs fill the muscle void left by Komisarek. I am sure that the D can clear the zone better now....but they need some muscle...

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) Khomo wasn't much of help in the muscle departement, he's mainly a shot blocker.

onemorecup* 07-01-2009 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jakomyte (Post 20212878)
As of now, I'd say the skill level is pretty comparable to past year's teams. What we won't find out until this fall is how well they gel together.

I also have a feeling Gainey still has at least one more move up his sleeve...

I warned all of you , this team will be ripped up , and it has so far .

Bob has a few more tricks up his sleeve, our skill level is much improved , now we need some ballz to fill in the skill.

will it work who knows , but clearly Gomez and Cams are a huge HUGE UPGRADE

to the crap we had last year , we may have our first 80 point players since when Damphousse ???

Spacek and Gill are better than Komi at 4.5 hands down .

All we need now is Max, the kosty boys , and Dags to take it up one notch

sampollock 07-01-2009 05:35 PM

let's have the chance of being a small team.

oh ya, we do.

Clam_Chowder 07-01-2009 05:35 PM

Considering the way the team worked last year, I agree. Habs fans are *****ing and moaning as usual but what more can they ask for? Gainey couldn't keep the team the way it was and by making these deals he's given the team a direction to follow. Maybe it won't work, but at least he'll have tried something.

As of right now, I'm not complaining about having Gomez and Cammalleri on the team.

Redux91 07-01-2009 05:37 PM

honestly , the way i see it, the team looks so much different now, big trade, 3 signings

hey...we finished first in the conference two years ago it got us nothing, i say, welcome the change..who knows what could happen, these deas could be the very thing that might make this team WHOLER

i say, good job bob, its better then samsonov.

Nielson81 07-01-2009 05:39 PM

The only way Gainey salvages this mess for me is by bringing back Captain Koivu.

mikeg 07-01-2009 05:50 PM

Why I am Very Happy Right Now

With a lot of the negativity around here, and some positive threads I wanted to add to the flow and post something positive about why I am giddy right now.

1) I don't think I have ever, in my 32 years of existence witnessed a July 1st where we were so active. It's nice to see your team making headlines as opposed to being beaten to the punch on every signing.

2) I love the fact that we finally took a risk and traded an asset to get an upgrade. Gainey did it in Dallas when he traded Iginla for Nieuendyk and it got him a cup. This is by no means the same situation, but it's things that teams who want to contend must do.

3) I think pairing Cammilerri with Gomez might work well. You get two proven guys, one who is a good setup guy, and one guy who has proven he can finish.

4) I love what he's done with the D. We've gone from having shrimpy depth, to veteran depth. Spacek will be a workhorse, who will put up points and not be a liability, and Gill gives you a big (yes slow) and reliable defesensive defenceman. He can do what Komi did, at 1/2 the price.

5) On paper we are a better team than last year. Say whatever you want about McDonaugh, the kid has yet to prove himself at a professional level. All you can ask from your GM is that he improve upon what was done last year, and like it or not, Gainey has done just that.

6) Despite my giddiness, we are still missing 2 or 3 key ingredients to being a legitimate contender. We depserately need a big centre, and a reliable defenceman to play on the right hand side.

7) We still have lots of cap space to sign our RFA's, and another guy like Havlat, Gaborik, etc. However if we sign Kovalev, then we can pretty much forget those guys. That, ultimately is going to be one tough choice.

Mike

strutsboa 07-01-2009 05:52 PM

Some of the players who is still to be signed should be signed on 1-year deals. As for now we only have these contracts expiring next year:

Metropolit $1.000M
S. Kostitsyn $0.817M
Lapierre $0.688M
Price $2.200M
Halak $0.775M

If we only have those player with contracts expiring in 09/10 and we are up against the cap, it would be really difficult to sign all of those. Metropolit will be gone, Halak maybe traded, but otherwize I think everybody else will get a raise.

gusfring 07-01-2009 05:53 PM

We NEED at least 2 more wingers.

Avim86 07-01-2009 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg (Post 20214262)
With a lot of the negativity around here, and some positive threads I wanted to add to the flow and post something positive about why I am giddy right now.

1) I don't think I have ever, in my 32 years of existence witnessed a July 1st where we were so active. It's nice to see your team making headlines as opposed to being beaten to the punch on every signing.

2) I love the fact that we finally took a risk and traded an asset to get an upgrade. Gainey did it in Dallas when he traded Iginla for Nieuendyk and it got him a cup. This is by no means the same situation, but it's things that teams who want to contend must do.

3) I think pairing Cammilerri with Gomez might work well. You get two proven guys, one who is a good setup guy, and one guy who has proven he can finish.

4) I love what he's done with the D. We've gone from having shrimpy depth, to veteran depth. Spacek will be a workhorse, who will put up points and not be a liability, and Gill gives you a big (yes slow) and reliable defesensive defenceman. He can do what Komi did, at 1/2 the price.

5) On paper we are a better team than last year. Say whatever you want about McDonaugh, the kid has yet to prove himself at a professional level. All you can ask from your GM is that he improve upon what was done last year, and like it or not, Gainey has done just that.

6) Despite my giddiness, we are still missing 2 or 3 key ingredients to being a legitimate contender. We depserately need a big centre, a reliable defenceman to play on the right hand side

7) We still have lots of cap space to sign our RFA's, and another guy like Havlat, Gaborik, etc. However if we sign Kovalev, then we can pretty much forget those guys. That, ultimately is going to be one tough choice.

Mike

I agree?

shortcat1 07-01-2009 05:58 PM

Thank you.

It's good to see some positively oriented opinion.

Not to say that everything here is negative but the word criticism doesn't have to automatically mean negative. Criticism can be positive.

Anyway, you'll either be ignored or get some slamming. I hope you'll get a majority of positive responses.

HabuseMoi 07-01-2009 05:59 PM

we would still have to money to sign Gaborik/HAvlat even if we sign Tanguay or Kovy, which is pretty awesome

mabus 07-01-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 (Post 20212721)
Yes our team is looking very different, there is still many things to look at, and many players to decide upon.

But we did do alright today.
Replacing Komi w/ a defenceman who can put up some offensive threat is a huge plus for me. to me the game is won on the scoreboard, and once a goal was scored we were anemic.

Perhaps but we replaced one of the very best defensive physical defensemen in the game today, with a decent goal scorer. It's not like we got a pure sniper or a 50 goal man in the exchange here.

Quote:

Gomez is a tough SOB to play against. He may not be huge, but he's like Killer in the sense he doesnt let ANYONE push him around/ Intimidate him. He's no shrinking violet, & neither is Camalleri.

Fine, I like Gomez too, he's a decent player, who scored 16 goals or less the past three seasons. Respectable numbers. But how much do you like him at 8 mill a season over the next >FIVE< seasons?

Quote:

& the d,
Markov, Hamr, & Spacek, are 3 competent defencemen. 2 wy threats, that can hurt the opposition on the scoreboard, while playing responsibe defence.
Gill, O'Byrne & Gorges are 3 solid defensive syled d-men who cover the back end and PK competently.
I do believe O'Bee Won will cover the hole left by Komi sufficiently, and in the long run he could be a very solid choice.
add in there, Carle, Subban (who is incredible), and a few others, we are deep.

O'Byrne may or may not develop as you suggest, but Komi >IS< that way now. How much better would we have been with Komisarek AND O'Byrne, AND Valentenko AND McDonagh?

Our defense has been severely weakened today.

Quote:

in net, Price & Halak...

Im not worried, if we gel we can be avery solid team, and hard to beat. Much harder than last year.

Perhaps, until next year when Gainey waits until the very last second to offer contracts again and lets ANOTHER 2 or 3 core players go (as he seems to do EVERY season). And this time with 12 mill tied up in Gomez and Spacek, preventing us from replacing then.

HotPie 07-01-2009 06:00 PM

I'm actually not as disappointed as yesterday.

I just hope we can get Beauchemin, and sign Kovalev because at this point I don't even know who else could be captain.

It just seems like we're losing a lot of leadership, but at the same time, where has that leadership lead us?

I'm sad Koivu will most likely be gone, but all this change is making me strangely anticipating next season for better or worse.