HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Exciting stuff (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=658545)

cantskate 07-01-2009 11:44 PM

Exciting stuff

I'm a bored Sharks fan. DW did basically nothing except overpay for a guy (Huskins) that was already on the roster but hadn't played for us yet.

At least you guys have something to talk about, and overall, I think the Habs made some positive moves.

I do think it's strange that BG went after all these small guys, but on balance, I think the Habs will be an improved team. I especially like the potential of the Gomez-Cammi combination. I think he overpaid Gionta, but we'll see.

Jakomyte 07-01-2009 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cantskate (Post 20232165)
I'm a bored Sharks fan. DW did basically nothing except overpay for a guy (Huskins) that was already on the roster but hadn't played for us yet.

At least you guys have something to talk about, and overall, I think the Habs made some positive moves.

I do think it's strange that BG went after all these small guys, but on balance, I think the Habs will be an improved team. I especially like the potential of the Gomez-Cammi combination. I think he overpaid Gionta, but we'll see.

I don't think Gainey 'went after small guys'. I think he went after the skilled guys available on the market. If he could pick and choose, I think he might have picked Gaborik over Gionta (as an example), but these are the guys that wanted to play in MTL and who Gainey signed.

AgRiVaToRR* 07-02-2009 12:01 AM

Sharks this UFA day = Habs at UFA day the past many years

giovannicanella 07-02-2009 03:22 AM

Gaborik is pure ownage when healthy...but that is ify...(being healthy)

Gomez/Gionta chemistry will make up the diff between Gab/Gio

OneSharpMarble 07-02-2009 04:03 AM

Yeah real exciting, when your gm trades your best prospect for a terrible contract you can feel the "excitement" too :D

MaKi 07-02-2009 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble (Post 20236047)
Yeah real exciting, when your gm trades your best prospect for a terrible contract you can feel the "excitement" too :D

I didnt like the trade that much either, but it makes a bit more sense now.
cammalleri said gomez being here was a big reason why he chose montreal, and obviously gionta came here because gomez is here.
If we didnt trade for gomez, we might not have any of the three.
So what UFA signings would we have made?
Would Koivu/Kovaleav/Tanguay even want to resign here if we hadnt made any moves by now?
If they didn't then where would we be?

Personally I don't mind having small forwards who are also fast and exciting to watch, in the top6 at least.
I prefer our bigger players to be in the bottom 6 and on defense.

peperebougon* 07-02-2009 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble (Post 20236047)

McDonagh wasn't our best prospect. Weber and Subban are way better than him IMO. McDonagh is overrated IMO and there is a reason he was dealt before the two aforementioned d-men.

OneSharpMarble 07-02-2009 05:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacKmtl (Post 20236078)
I didnt like the trade that much either, but it makes a bit more sense now.
cammalleri said gomez being here was a big reason why he chose montreal, and obviously gionta came here because gomez is here.
If we didnt trade for gomez, we might not have any of the three.
So what UFA signings would we have made?
Would Koivu/Kovaleav/Tanguay even want to resign here if we hadnt made any moves by now?
If they didn't then where would we be?

Personally I don't mind having small forwards who are also fast and exciting to watch, in the top6 at least.
I prefer our bigger players to be in the bottom 6 and on defense.

MIGHT being the key word here, and reguardless of who we got after Gomez we paid waaay too much for him in the first place. Dont tell me we couldn't have gotten him for next to nothing.

I didnt see a problem keeping Koivu, Tanguay and maybe one/two more. You know the face of the franchise, the longest serving captain & the guy who dragged this ******* team for years? A guy pours his career into this team and he doesnt even get the option to retire a hab, he gets to wait by his phone while some overpaid POS with no stake in the Habs walks in and takes over.

I have watched and stood by this team for years while they were terrible but I always thought they were at least respectable but that is all out the window now. Habs are no better than the miserable leafs. What I saw today makes me want to puke.

flappuck 07-02-2009 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble (Post 20236371)
I have watched and stood by this team for years while they were terrible but I always thought they were at least respectable but that is all out the window now. Habs are no better than the miserable leafs. What I saw today makes me want to puke.

Then I guess you can change that Edmonton Canadiens logo for the Edmonton Oilers one and go celebrate the Khabibulin signing and Heatley ownage on the Oilers board. ;)

Hab-Dawgs 07-02-2009 07:57 AM

Quote:

Dont tell me we couldn't have gotten him for next to nothing.

Higgins = Third line player
Mcdonagh = Unproven prospect

Seems like next to nothing to me.

Habsfanatical 07-02-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

MIGHT being the key word here, and reguardless of who we got after Gomez we paid waaay too much for him in the first place. Dont tell me we couldn't have gotten him for next to nothing.

I didnt see a problem keeping Koivu, Tanguay and maybe one/two more. You know the face of the franchise, the longest serving captain & the guy who dragged this ******* team for years? A guy pours his career into this team and he doesnt even get the option to retire a hab, he gets to wait by his phone while some overpaid POS with no stake in the Habs walks in and takes over.

What Winger would sign with a team without a #1C?? oh hell.. we wouldnt have had a #1 or #2 if we didnt trade for Gomez

Markowicz 07-02-2009 08:28 AM

It's sad to say, but Kovalev was in it for the money. The Habs had offered him a contract at around 4.5M a year and he basically told Gainey he was looking at something else. Gainey had to move on something else quick to be sure not to miss out on both possibilities. If Kovalev really wanted to stay, he would have taken the deal. Making Gainey overpay him is not fair, so i say C U LATER.

Maximus Taylor 07-02-2009 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Jr (Post 20237548)
It's sad to say, but Kovalev was in it for the money. The Habs had offered him a contract at around 4.5M a year and he basically told Gainey he was looking at something else. Gainey had to move on something else quick to be sure not to miss out on both possibilities. If Kovalev really wanted to stay, he would have taken the deal. Making Gainey overpay him is not fair, so i say C U LATER.

or if Gainey had wanted Kovalev, he'd have negotiated prior to this week with him. it's easy to say that Kovalev took too much time to decide since Sunday.

skipp18 07-02-2009 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pierre Jr (Post 20237548)

If Kovalev really wanted to stay here, then he definitely got some bad advice from his agent.
His agent went looking for better offers, probably to make the Habs counter a bit higher, but the time they got back to gainey is was too late, the money was already spent on other players.

otto bond 07-02-2009 08:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peperebougon (Post 20236126)
McDonagh wasn't our best prospect. Weber and Subban are way better than him IMO. McDonagh is overrated IMO and there is a reason he was dealt before the two aforementioned d-men.

It appear that PK is on Bob's radar and for good reason. I was not high like everyone here on Mcdo but still he was a good prospect. I like the Gomez trade better today. Janik was a trow in litarely.