HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Sweden (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Player Discussion: Ivan Hlinka Memorial Squad (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=658643)

Garl 07-02-2009 05:57 AM

Ivan Hlinka Memorial Squad

Lillis Lundh announced the squad. At the first look squad seems quite strange and certainly doesn't look as the best possible.

Goalies:
Johan Gustafsson Farjestad
Stefan Steen Leksand 1993

Defensemen:
Johan Alm Skelleftea
Patrik Nemeth AIK
Adam Larsson Skelleftea
Victor Berglind Brynas
Jonathan Nielsen Linkoping 1993
Karl Johansson Brynas 1993
Jonas Brodin Farjestad 1993
Daniel Gunnarsson Leksand

Gabriel Landeskog Djurgarden
Fredric Weigel Djurgarden
Adam Pettersson Skelleftea
Victor Ohman Malmo
Erik Thorell Farjestad
Johan Larsson Brynas
Sebastian Ottosson Linkoping
Ludvig Rensfeldt Brynas
Johan Sundstrom Frolunda
Rickard Rackell AIK 1993
Joakim Nordstrom AIK
Victor Rask Leksand 1993

Squad looks quite strange to me. Goalies are alright, but defense? Ostman, Blidstrand, Claesson? All were ignored by some reason, instead there are 3 93 born players. Well Johansson probably deserves this place, but Neilsen and Brodin?

Forwards actually make even more questions. Where are Liljegren, Lundmark, Dan Pettersson, John Persson, Patrik Naslund? Also I'm not even sure if Rasl and Rackell are the best 93 born forwards. Netterberg and even Mannberg ignored aswell. How is that possible? I mean, Mannberg is in J20 already.

Also don't like the fact that we are undersized, because Lundh basically ignored most of big guys.

Riddarn 07-02-2009 07:23 AM

I wish they did the national team selections more on camp/tryout basis, like the north americans. I think it's a better way to find those character guys and to find out which players work well with whom, and so on.

But I have no opinions on this squad. I know too little. It's outrageous that they let Lundh continue though. But I guess if you're friends with Tommy Boustedt it's hard to get fired.

wings5 07-02-2009 09:19 AM

I wouldnt say that the team is undersized, that is a pretty big defensive unit but Lundh seemed to sacrifice some skill for more size. If that was the case I dont know how he could leave out Mengs, Liljegren, Lundmark, Ostman, Blidstrand etc. There were several suitable 92s available. Bohm, Nettelbladt, Bjorklund. On top of that they dindnt even chose the best 93s. Wulcun, Hagg, Nermark were not chosen Lundh needs to loose his job he proved that with terrible coaching of IMO the best team in the u-18 team Sweden leading them to a fifth place finish. Way to go Lundh.

IT 07-02-2009 10:09 AM

Well it is difficult to judge the 93's so early but they must have impressed Lundh and co quit alot in the recent 92-93 camp to get a spot.
Naslund, Ostman, Mannberg and Blidstrand are imo the biggest omissions.

Something like this perhaps?

Alm Larsson
Nemeth Berglind
Gunnarsson Johansson
(Brodin)

Landeskog Pettersson Thorell
Öhman Larsson Weigel
Rakell Nordström Ottosson
Rensfeldt Sundström Rask

Garl 07-02-2009 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IT (Post 20239753)
Well it is difficult to judge the 93's so early but they must have impressed Lundh and co quit alot in the recent 92-93 camp to get a spot.
Naslund, Ostman, Mannberg and Blidstrand are imo the biggest omissions.

Something like this perhaps?

Alm Larsson
Nemeth Berglind
Gunnarsson Johansson
(Brodin)

Landeskog Pettersson Thorell
Öhman Larsson Weigel
Rakell Nordström Ottosson
Rensfeldt Sundström Rask

You forgot Nielsen.)))

But personally I would have preferred a different team, let's say, Claesson, Ostman, Blidsatrand instead of Brodin, Nielsen and one of Alm/Berglind.

At offense, Mannberg most definately is a core player for this team, same IMO for Naslund, 6'3 210 forwards who scored in Allsvenskan at 16 are not growing on trees. Also it's quite strange why they don't give a chance to D.Pettersson, Liljegren, Netterberg and Lundmark, while Ottosson who is rather small and scores much less than them makes the team. Same question for Rask, Sundstrom and Rakell selections.

Just to compare last years stats in J18:

Stars:
Ohman 3 games 0+4 4 pts J20 30 games 14+23 37 pts
Pettersson 8 games 5+6 11 pts J20 28 games 5+9 14 pts
Landeskog 8 games 5+7 12pts J20 31 game 7+14 21 pts
Weigel 26 games 17+34 51 pts
Thorell 23 games 20+22 42 pts
J.Larsson 11 games 6+4 10 pts J20 33 games 4+5 9 pts

Others:
Rask 26 games 9+6 15 pts
Sundstrom 22 games 6+7 13 pts
Ottosson 29 games 9+11 20 pts
Rakell 16 games 2+3 5 pts
Nordstrom 35 games 8+16 24 pts

Not selected:
Mannberg: 5 games 2+1 3 pts J20 33 games 3+9 12 pts
D.Pettersson 27 games 12+17 29 pts J20 13 games 1+6 7 pts
Persson 24 games 18+12 30 pts J20 12 games 4+2 6 pts
Liljegren 33 games 12+16 28 pts
Lundmark 25 16+8 24 pts
Netterberg 31 games 32+17 49 pts J20 2 games 2+1 3 pts
Naslund 26 games 13+18 31 pts

Pretty obvious.

NHLHammerbound* 07-31-2009 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Riddarn (Post 20236828)
I wish they did the national team selections more on camp/tryout basis, like the north americans. I think it's a better way to find those character guys and to find out which players work well with whom, and so on.

Yes, Hockey Canada holds highly competitive camps to pick our final U20's December roster . As well as, staging an ADT tourney vs. Russia just prior, to help pick our initial 38 camp invites. But it doesn't work that way with our U18's, especially when it comes to u18 WC's, which are comprised of guys whose Jr squads didn't make playoffs. They assemble in Toronto , from all pts East and West. Have one quick meet/ greet + skate, then fly overseas. Our Ivan Hlinka squad doesn't get much prep time either, much less a pre-tourney camp tryout. Nevertheless, its our ' A Team' and they usually do great!

Team USA has an advantage in U18 tourneys, in that their NTDP's play together all year. BUT they never have a tryout camp for their U20's. Those teams are picked in advance & that strategy seems to have really hurt them. Hockey Canada definitely does a better job than USA Hockey, when it comes to selecting/ preparing our Boyz for the Big World Jr Showcase. Historically, Our Canuck Jr coaches have been a helluva lot better than those sadsack Yankee bench bosses too. USA Hockey seems very much, an old boyz network, rife with nepotism / cronyism...yadda, yadda...

CHEERS

ctokker 08-11-2009 01:35 PM

J20 superelite schedule

Anybody know where to get a league schedule for swedens J20 superelite league.

thanks

wings5 08-16-2009 07:17 AM

Now that the tournament is over, who were the team's best players, and how did indiviaduals perform?

Garl 08-17-2009 01:13 AM

I'm rather impressed with Sweden's performance.

First of all, not onle we have won "our" games vs USA, Swiss and Czechs but also did it with big scores, espescially vs USA. For a rather "experimental" team that was a very good performance, espescially if we will add a game vs Canada which was equal according to reports, and which we lost narrowly. I hope that Lundh improved and this team will not be a dissapointment like 90 and 91 with Lillis.

Individually it's very obvious that Larsson and Landeskog were the standout performers. 7 pts for a defenseman is really good.

I expected a bit more secondary scoring from forwards though. Offensive defensemen like Kalle Johansson(very good tournament for this 5'7 93 born guy) and Victor Berglind did their job, but Ohman, Adam Pettersson, Rensfeldt and Thorell must have scored a bit more. However, by reports all team was impressive.

whatsupcomrade* 08-18-2009 03:00 PM

swedes have a pipeline of talent now

truthfully, the swedes are producing as much "elite" talent as any country at the junior level; the canadians have them beat on sheer "quality depth" (the overall number of good young players) but the swedes are producing a lot of world class youth at the moment and that top-end talent matches up favourably with the talent you'll find anywhere else.

frankly, if they had more mental toughness and resolve, the swedes would be the dominant hockey power in Europe; of course, getting their NHLers to actually play in the world championships would help immensely.

NyQuil 08-18-2009 05:48 PM

Part of the thing about the Swedes is how well they eventually adapt to the NHL.

If their youth program gets better, it means that their players should adapt that much more quickly.