HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Rangers Canes Trade Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=65893)

BDubinskyNYR17* 03-28-2004 10:09 PM

Rangers Canes Trade Proposal

Since we need a checking centre to take over for Messier, How about this deal?

Rangers get Kevyn Adams, Tomas Malec
Canes get Tom Poti.

Adams is an excelent pk player and excelent faceoff guy. Malec is an hitting dman and can fight and clear the crease, like a Kloucek.

Poti can help canes PP, what you guys think? :handclap:

in the hall 03-28-2004 10:19 PM

suddenly keeping tom poti doesnt seem so bad.... just kidding.. i think we shouldnt trade for quantity unless it is quality.. i dont see any quality there atleast some that we dont already have in bunches (mid level prospect...roster filler/scrub).... i would rather see poti packaged with something else for something usefull

nyr5186 03-28-2004 10:36 PM

Now that this organization seems to be in rebuilding mode, I honestly would not mind giving Poti another chance next season to show that he can take himself to the next level. If I were Sather, I'd give him an ultimatum. If he doesnt significantly improve his strength and defensive awareness, he's gone. No more excuses.

Having said that, I'd have no problem trading him in a package to move up on draft day. I wouldn't trade him just for the sake of trading him. If Poti is the difference between getting another top 15 pick or possibly trading for Ovechkin, then by all means trade him.

Rangers_23 03-28-2004 11:04 PM

Like the above poster, I'd rather move Poti to move up on draft day. Use Holik as your checking center next year (novel idea, eh?), maybe address a top line center via trade or FA.

NYR469 03-28-2004 11:06 PM

we have a $9 mil checking center but now we need to trade for a 4th liner to fill that role??

this trade accomplishes nothing other than fill 2 spots that could be better used on a young player

jas 03-28-2004 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
we have a $9 mil checking center but now we need to trade for a 4th liner to fill that role??

this trade accomplishes nothing other than fill 2 spots that could be better used on a young player

Especially since Blair Betts will probably get an ample opportunity to fill that role. Nah, I want Poti used to move up to get another # 1 pick.

ish 03-29-2004 12:08 PM

I want to get rid of Poti too, but I think we can do a little better than Kevyn Adams and Tomas Malec. I actually think we can get something of value for Poti. St. Louis and Boston have been rumored to want him (although the B's won't want him now). I tossed around the idea of keeping Tommy around but I just can't stand to watch the guy and he doesn't seem mentally tough enough to come out of the abuse he's taking at MSG alive and playing well. Get him out of here. Just not for K. Adams.

jas 03-29-2004 12:47 PM

I really think...

Quote:

Originally Posted by ish
I want to get rid of Poti too, but I think we can do a little better than Kevyn Adams and Tomas Malec. I actually think we can get something of value for Poti. St. Louis and Boston have been rumored to want him (although the B's won't want him now). I tossed around the idea of keeping Tommy around but I just can't stand to watch the guy and he doesn't seem mentally tough enough to come out of the abuse he's taking at MSG alive and playing well. Get him out of here. Just not for K. Adams.

a team like Atlanta is a viable option. Atlanta was rumored at last year's draft to be willing to move their pick to get a young vet that could help get them into the POs. They could use a puck-mover like Poti. I could see a Poti and a 2nd round pick for Atlanta's #1 happen on draft day.

polako 03-29-2004 03:45 PM

would hate to see slats trade for a checking center with holik around. also, i'd like to think that poti could bring something good in return. he is a big defenceman and can put points up.

nyr7andcounting 03-29-2004 03:59 PM

Malec and Adams are ok players but they aren't what we need.

We have Holik and Betts as checking centers next year, and add in Lundmark and that's already 3 centers on the roster. We need to consider either a younger player or a playmaker to play with Jagr as the 4th center. Adams is neither.

Malec is not bad but we have a bunch of dmen like him. It can never hurt to have too many young dmen, but at the same time you want the players you already have to show what they can do before going out and trading for a guy that will take their spot.

However, Poti should definetly be dealt. Talented or not, he's not the kind of player you want to build your defense around. He's too passive, too soft and doesn't know what's going on in his own zone. Trade him either to move up in the 1st round or deal him for a young center that can play now and develop.