HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Olesz (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=65915)

Barnaby 03-29-2004 01:11 AM

Olesz

I keep hearing about this guy Olesz as a sure fire top 5 pick. Anybody have some info on him? It seems like we always talk around him (Ovechkin, Malkin--- Barker, Ladd). What type of player is he? Comparison? You know the drill :rolly:

Thanks

TUQ 03-29-2004 02:08 AM

Olesz

I saw him several times, he is good at both offense and defense, strong enough, good hands, he seems not to lack anything (of course in certain part of development) and he will become a complete player. He was playing in extraliga (senior) so it was hard for him to compete, but he did away with it.

Edge 03-29-2004 03:56 AM

He's a player who kind of falls into the cracks because he isn't at the level of Ovechkin or Malkin {at this point} but he's higher than Ladd, Barker, etc.

The problem is that people just kind of assume he's going third and that's the end of it, so no one talks about him.

He's a solid two way player with nice size and he does everything very well.

I think that is his biggest strength and also a reason he's not getting a ton of attention.

He's not 6'3 or 6'4 and he's not an offensive dynamo, so he gets overlooked.

Ironically depending on who picks where and how they judge Malkin's concussion, he could even be the second pick in the draft. (Though he himself got one from Dion Phaneuf)

I am not sure he is an NHL center {i like him as a wingman myself}, I'd be very surprised if he isn't at least a solid NHL player.

NYR469 03-29-2004 08:55 AM

olesz hasn't played since getting destroyed by phaneuf at the WJC (concussion) so that is a big factor (malkin has been out with a concussion but he was just cleared to play so he'll play in the U-18 tourney)...

if healthy though olesz is a real good center...big rugged center. i've heard that people consider his downside to be a holik-type, but as an upside he could be a physically dominating top line center...

for what its worth, apparantly jagr raved about the kid and thinks he is the real deal

BigE 03-29-2004 10:51 AM

I wasn't all that impressed with him from the limited number of games I saw him at the WJC. I watched three or four and besides cutting across the middle with his head down you really had to watch him to notice anything. He was out muscled by guys like Dawes and Crosby in the corners. He did seem to have pretty good hands though.

Jacob 03-29-2004 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
olesz hasn't played since getting destroyed by phaneuf at the WJC (concussion) )

He's been back since late January.

NYR469 03-29-2004 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacobv2
He's been back since late January.

really...redline report has him listed as injured as of march 20th. i didn't know he was back

TUQ 03-29-2004 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
really...redline report has him listed as injured as of march 20th. i didn't know he was back

He was playing for Vitkovice in playoffs before they have been eliminated by Sparta Prague.