HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Colorado Avalanche (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Line Combos: The Official What Will The Lines Look Like In 09-10 Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=659765)

El_Loco_Avs 07-04-2009 05:24 AM

The Official What Will The Lines Look Like In 09-10 Thread

So. With all these moves for skill guys like Koci and such. What will things look like next year?

Wojtek Wolski - Paul Stastny - Milan Hejduk (A)
Cody McLeod - Joe Sakic ? - Marek Svatos
T. J. Hensick - Matt Duchene ? - David Jones (RFA)
T. J. Galiardi - Darcy Tucker - Chris Stewart
David Koci
Brian Willsie (UFA)

If one of Sakic or Duchene doesn't play cetner, Wolski will. Which leaves a giant hole on the Left wing. Tucker will likely play a top 6 role but I'm in denial. We need a left winger or 3rd line checking center (moving Cody up to the third line)

Scott Hannan (A) - John-Michael Liles
Ruslan Salei - Kyle Quincey
Adam Foote (A) - Tom Preissing
Brett Clark
Kyle Cumiskey (RFA)
Raymond Macias
Derek Peltier
Michael Vernace (UFA)

Could actually be a solid group if we dump Clark. Classic combo of defensive guy with puckmover?

Craig Anderson
Peter Budaj

These lines obviously aren't very good. What moves will we make and how would our lineup improve? Predict!! PREDICT!!!

Colorado Avalanche 07-04-2009 05:53 AM

Good thread, but I think topic should have been "How ****ed we are in 09-10?" :shakehead

Defense has too much depth actually. On offense we have no depth. So why trade Smyth for 2 defenseman, when we had basically zero depth on offense? MAkes no sense.

Offense looks brutal, defense I could live with, but goaltenders are as always bad, we'll see how Anderson plays.
(in 4-10 scale 4 being worst)
Offense: 6
Defense: 8+
Goaltending: 5 1/2

expatriated_texan 07-04-2009 06:04 AM

For what it is worth I dug up the draft blogum where Dater had this to say about Ryan Stoa...
Here’s one thing I heard tonight from Avs people: Ryan Stoa is a MAJOR surprise in summer workouts, and HE could be the No. 2 center if Duchene and Quoteless Joe aren’t around.
Now, I know Stoa hasn't played Center in quite some time but if he is wowing some folks, it's not a stretch to think he might be given a shot in the top 6 as a winger...Of course, I don't really think we'll see much difference between our 2nd and 3rd lines from a production standpoint if Joe doesn't come back and Duchene plays in the OHL.

Hercules Rockefeller 07-04-2009 08:10 AM

If Joe comes back:

Wolski - Stastny - Hejduk
Stoa/Galiardi - Sakic- Svatos
McLeod - Hensick - Stewart
Tucker - Hendricks - Jones
Koci

Without Sakic:

McLeod - Stastny - Hejduk
Galiardi - Wolski - Svatos
Stoa - Hensick - Stewart
Koci

Hannan - Liles
Quincey - Salei
Clark - Foote
Preissing

Anderson
Budaj

Let's say Hannan and Salei get traded:

Quincey - Liles
Peltier - Foote
Clark - Vernace
Preissing

Yeah!

Colorado Avalanche 07-04-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hercules Rockefeller (Post 20282554)
If Joe comes back:

Stoa/Galiardi - Sakic- Svatos
McLeod - Hensick - Stewart
Koci

Without Sakic:

McLeod - Stastny - Hejduk
Galiardi - Wolski - Svatos
Stoa - Hensick - Stewart
Koci

Hannan - Liles
Quincey - Salei
Clark - Foote
Preissing

Anderson
Budaj

Let's say Hannan and Salei get traded:

Quincey - Liles
Peltier - Foote
Clark - Vernace
Preissing

Yeah!

I can only laugh my ass of watching these lineups. Offense looks way too thin to survive in NHL + We will have very hard time keeping the puck out of our own net, not to mention we won't be scoring many goals. :laugh:

We really need 3 line center. Duschene is now guaranteed to play IMO.

Mules 07-04-2009 08:30 AM

Playing Avs: easy 2 points ;) :help:

Starrlinx 07-04-2009 08:42 AM

Can't really make a call on this because the salary dumping has just started. Hannan, Liles, Salei could all be gone.

NWAvsFan 07-04-2009 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expatriated_texan (Post 20282128)
For what it is worth I dug up the draft blogum where Dater had this to say about Ryan Stoa...
Hereís one thing I heard tonight from Avs people: Ryan Stoa is a MAJOR surprise in summer workouts, and HE could be the No. 2 center if Duchene and Quoteless Joe arenít around.
Now, I know Stoa hasn't played Center in quite some time but if he is wowing some folks, it's not a stretch to think he might be given a shot in the top 6 as a winger...Of course, I don't really think we'll see much difference between our 2nd and 3rd lines from a production standpoint if Joe doesn't come back and Duchene plays in the OHL.

With the way the team is shaping up right now I think Stoa could fill the 2nd left wing slot. He is not going to play nor is he needed at center. This all speaks as much of the state of the Avs forwards as Stoa's talent though.

Bill Peckerskull 07-04-2009 09:33 AM

You can't project lines yet, there is still 2 months until camp even starts. Who knows what else is going to happen, who else is going to be coming and going.

R S 07-04-2009 09:40 AM

Yeah, i laugh at line projections during the regular season, nevermind the offseason.

I understand the concept of whats going on though, more of a checklist of what players we have at what positions....

hockeyfish 07-04-2009 10:21 AM

At this point, I assume that Sakic is not coming back and Duchene will be spending the year in the minors. I also assume that no big name free agents are signed.

Galiardi - Stastny - Hejduk
Stoa - Wolski - Stewart
McLeod - Hensick - Svatos
Koci - ??? - Jones

Huis Clos* 07-04-2009 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyfish (Post 20283563)
At this point, I assume that Sakic is not coming back and Duchene will be spending the year in the minors. I also assume that no big name free agents are signed.

Stoa - Wolski - Stewart
Koci - ??? - Jones

Those are the assumptions I am making at this point as well.

Stoa - Wolski - Stewart
Tucker - X - Jones

I can't project what the defense will look like, we have seven defensemen signed (soon to be eight with Cumiskey), one or two are obviously going to be moved.

chewey 07-04-2009 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by expatriated_texan (Post 20282128)
Here’s one thing I heard tonight from Avs people: Ryan Stoa is a MAJOR surprise in summer workouts, and HE could be the No. 2 center if Duchene and Quoteless Joe aren’t around.

If Stoa does play center I'd guess it might more so on the 3rd line than the 2nd line, but with that being said the hole on wing needs to be met and since Stoa has played as a winger for nearly 2? years now and openly stated that he prefers to play the wing, I'd feel more comfortable with him being on the wing than at center.

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWAvsFan (Post 20282938)
With the way the team is shaping up right now I think Stoa could fill the 2nd left wing slot. He is not going to play nor is he needed at center. This all speaks as much of the state of the Avs forwards as Stoa's talent though.

^.. this :P

NWAvsFan 07-04-2009 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dmitri (Post 20284135)
If Stoa does play center I'd guess it might more so on the 3rd line than the 2nd line, but with that being said the hole on wing needs to be met and since Stoa has played as a winger for nearly 2? years now and openly stated that he prefers to play the wing, I'd feel more comfortable with him being on the wing than at center.

^.. this :P

I should probably qualify that too. Stoa has a lot of talent and the big body to work in front of the net but in an ideal world he would spend next year in Lake Erie. Colorado is far from the ideal world right now.

mitchgoalie31 07-04-2009 01:15 PM

wolski stastny hejduk without sakic :wolski stastny hejduk
stoa sakic svatos galiardi duchene svatos
galiardi duchene stewart jones stoa stewart
Mcleod tucker jones mcleod tucker haydar
spares: koci haydar willsie

hannah liles the reste is the same
foote quincey
salei preissing
spares: clark cuminskey

anderson
budaj

Lemieux22 07-04-2009 09:45 PM

Stewart *Either Sakic or Wolski - Svatos
Stoa - Galiardi/Hensick (loser goes to LEM) - Jones
McLeod - FA (I would prefer Goc) - Tucker

Koci

Liles - Hannan
Quincey - Clark
Preissing - Foote (A)

Cumiskey

Assumptions :
1) Duchene stays at Brampton
2) We trade Salei. He makes the least amount of our tradeable defensemen, and only has 1 yr left. We get a #3.
3) If Sakic retires we grab a free agent winger and put Wolski at Center. It'll probably be somebody past their prime on the cheap, but with the hint of potential...think Maxim Afinogenov, Petr Sykora or some other undesirable.

jaems 07-04-2009 10:33 PM

These lineups are putting me on the brink of puking.

shadow1 07-04-2009 10:41 PM

Stoa - Hensick - Stewart
Tucker - Galiardi - Svatos
McLeod - McNicoll - Koci

Liles - Hannan
Quincey - Foote
Salei - Clark
Preissing

Anderson
Budaj

Well, at least the goaltending and defense appear to be decent at first glance. Offense will be 30th in the league if no other changes are made.

falconski 07-04-2009 11:53 PM

this isn't gonna be pretty, assuming Joe's gone and Duchene's in Brampton
Stewart-Stastny-Hejduk (I know, Stewart's RW, but there's nothing that fits)
Jones-Wolski-Svatos
Tucker-Hensick-Stoa
Galiardi-McNicholl-McLeod (uggh, LW is tough, I really don't want to put Galiardi there, but Koci is situational use only)
Koci

Liles-Hannan
Clark-Quincey (you know how much our management loves clark)
Salei-Foote
Preissing

Anderson
Budaj

jfc64 07-05-2009 04:58 AM

If Forsberg and Sakic comes back:

Galiardi - Sakic - Svatos
Forsberg - Duchesne - Jones
McLeod - Hensick - Stewart (not the usual fourth line, read 12 minutes)
Koci

Hannan - Liles
Quincey - Clark
Salei - Foote
Preissing (will be top 6 eventually)

Anderson
Budaj

What I like best with our team right now is the emergence of younger players, Galiardi and Stoa etc. We didn't have anything like that last year. Also, don't forget that we had a 0.500 team a bit into last season, before the injuries came. And if agent Anderson, Peter Budaj and the defense could work out something like a 0.924 save percentage...

El_Loco_Avs 07-05-2009 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abbyfan (Post 20283199)
Yeah, i laugh at line projections during the regular season, nevermind the offseason.

I understand the concept of whats going on though, more of a checklist of what players we have at what positions....

Yeah it's more about depth charting now. But it's "fun" to see where we are right now.
:help:

DJ54 07-05-2009 09:52 AM

I'm assuming Joe's coming back and Duchene will be on the Avs.

Wolski - Duchene - Stewart
Stoa - Sakic - Jones
McLeod - Dupuis? - Tucker

Hannan - Liles
Quincey - Clark
Salei - Preissing

Anderson
Budaj

Granlund2Pulkkinen* 07-05-2009 01:26 PM

I just had to pop 3 advil to read this thread.

Anybody preordering their Hall/Fowler/Kabanov jerseys yet?

NWAvsFan 07-05-2009 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Granlund2Pulkkinen (Post 20295872)
I just had to pop 3 advil to read this thread.

Anybody preordering their Hall/Fowler/Kabanov jerseys yet?

On paper when you look at what we are likely to have even with Sakic it doesn't look too good. Then again I could look at our teams for the last 3 years and think on paper they had at least a chance to be competitive. Maybe this is the year they surprise to the upside? Either way I am more excited to watch young talent develop and gel than I am watching aging veterans underachieve and gather moss. I can definitely live with another bad year if it means a top 5 pick.

Huis Clos* 07-05-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWAvsFan (Post 20297291)
On paper when you look at what we are likely to have even with Sakic it doesn't look too good. Then again I could look at our teams for the last 3 years and think on paper they had at least a chance to be competitive. Maybe this is the year they surprise to the upside? Either way I am more excited to watch young talent develop and gel than I am watching aging veterans underachieve and gather moss. I can definitely live with another bad year if it means a top 5 pick.

I'm definitely interested in seeing what Stewart and Jones can due with some experience under their belts. It'll be interesting to see if Galiardi and Stoa get significant playing time this year as well.