HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Bob Clarke and reality: "...and never the twain shall meet" (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=66037)

mudcrutch79 03-29-2004 02:30 PM

Bob Clarke and reality: "...and never the twain shall meet"

I'm not here to start a war, just curious to see what you guys think about this Bobby Clarke quote.

"What the hell is that? Does that prove you're tough because you can beat up someone who doesn't fight? There has to be some honour and decency in our game. Can you teach that?

Going after the really talented players has never been part of our game. That's why I didn't want Donald Brashear running after Alfredsson. That is not proper."

Is this guy nuts? He intentionally broke a guy's ankle once, and got all pissy when Henderson said thirty years later that he thought it was poor sportsmanship to do so. Where is the honour and decency in that? At least if he'd beat him up, Kharlamov would have been able to play the rest of the series.

Look, I love small guys who carve out careers based on heart and desire, and that's what Clarke did. If I was him, I'd be worried about my glass house before throwing these stones though. He has two Stanley Cup rings precisely because of goon hockey that involved going after other teams stars, and until he's willing to repudiate those acts of thuggery, he probably shouldn't talk.

swflyers8* 03-29-2004 02:36 PM

Clarke fought people that were fighters.
Guys like Neil & Chara went after guys who don't fight at all.
Also, I don't know anything about the Russian ankle thing, my other Flyer fans can speak on that. The rule is you go after fighters, not 4th liners with visors and anyone smaller than Chara. That's being a pu$$.

bennysflyers16 03-29-2004 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swflyers8
Clarke fought people that were fighters.
Guys like Neil & Chara went after guys who don't fight at all.
Also, I don't know anything about the Russian ankle thing, my other Flyer fans can speak on that. The rule is you go after fighters, not 4th liners with visors and anyone smaller than Chara. That's being a pu$$.

He broke the ankle because that is exactly what his coach instructed him to do. Because of that slash, we won the series. Chris Neil beating Somik was pathetic, if Brash or Fridge beat on Alfy or Hossa I would be 100% embarrassed.

blah 03-29-2004 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16
if Brash or Fridge beat on Alfy or Hossa I would be 100% embarrassed.

I would have said the same thing as well before that game. Now...

Harry 03-29-2004 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mudcrutch79
I'm not here to start a war, just curious to see what you guys think about this Bobby Clarke quote.

"What the hell is that? Does that prove you're tough because you can beat up someone who doesn't fight? There has to be some honour and decency in our game. Can you teach that?

Going after the really talented players has never been part of our game. That's why I didn't want Donald Brashear running after Alfredsson. That is not proper."

Is this guy nuts? He intentionally broke a guy's ankle once, and got all pissy when Henderson said thirty years later that he thought it was poor sportsmanship to do so. Where is the honour and decency in that? At least if he'd beat him up, Kharlamov would have been able to play the rest of the series.

Look, I love small guys who carve out careers based on heart and desire, and that's what Clarke did. If I was him, I'd be worried about my glass house before throwing these stones though. He has two Stanley Cup rings precisely because of goon hockey that involved going after other teams stars, and until he's willing to repudiate those acts of thuggery, he probably shouldn't talk.

Slats432 03-29-2004 05:05 PM

Bobby Clarke is right. It is about honour. And since I was around in the early 70s, what he did, although gruesome is what was necessary at the time. At the time, there was no honour between Canada and the USSR. It was the cold war. And that was more war than hockey.

The two can't be compared. And you can't compare the honour between the NHL then and now because there were no Euros then. Everyone defended themselves, that was the way it was done. Bobby Orr took care of himself. Gordie Howe took care of himself.

Since the advent of Euros in the NHL, the enforcer was developed moreso and the necessity to follow an enforcer code of ethics which is what Clarke is talking about. Fighters fight other fighters, or people known to fight. Middleweights generally fight middleweights.

As a fan of hockey, I like Bobby Clarke, and hold him in high regard. And as for his cup rings, not only were they the toughest at the time, they were just as skilled as any other team of it's time.

(And as you and I are both Oiler fans, Mark Messier and Glenn Anderson played as dirty a game as Clarke ever did.)

Harry 03-29-2004 05:06 PM

I will never forget the Off the Record tv show when Phil Esposito was asked "Why is Bobby Clarke still Gm in Philly. Phils response was "He's got pictures".

Toonces 03-29-2004 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harry
I will never forget the Off the Record tv show when Phil Esposito was asked "Why is Bobby Clarke still Gm in Philly. Phils response was "He's got pictures".

:lol:

It's probably true.

stanley 03-29-2004 06:44 PM

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?ID=4610&hubName=

Henderson did more than call it "poor sportsmanship." Paul manages to insult an entire city and organization.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=4973

Ooh, too bad. No low road from Bob Clarke on this one.

Mudcrunch,
I think you ask too much. According to the prescedent you expect from Clarke, it would take ten volumes of conditions and three pardons from the Pope before any of us could pass judgement on anybody else. Thirty years? Henderson was out of line (for what it's worth, I recall him apologizing, although I couldn't find a link to an article verifying it).

Stick to the topic at hand: Neil and Chara went after two guys who would no more be confused with fighting than would Oscar the Grouch with cocaine trafficing (although he does spend a lot of time in his can and out of sight). I thought it was poor judgement then but I don't think it's fair to judge them or Jacques Martin or anybody else from now on based on that one decision. It happened and it's over with. I don't see what's so upsetting or even contradictory about Clarke's statement. He simply applauded the NHL's announcement that coaches and managers would be held partially accountable for actions of their players on the ice. At last check, that included him.

If Clarke had said, as Dave Carlson when asked to comment on a juvenile stick swinging incident, "well, the kid probably had it coming anyway; bad upbringing and all" or "the NHL should really re-think it's stance on this one, because guys like Somik, Timander, and Steve Moore should have been prepared to defend themselves; the NHL doesn't need rules like this," he would have been hung in effigy.