HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Detroit Red Wings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   we love you, Captain Nick! (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=661241)

octopi 07-07-2009 10:38 PM

we love you, Captain Nick!

Yeah, I'm being corny, but with Joe Sakic retiring, its in the back of my mind our Captain isn't getting any younger(In fact I believe he'll turn 40 around the Olympics), so have to appreciate him every day we have him.
:bow::heart:

footesh 07-08-2009 12:50 AM

I think he'll be back for at least one more year, and for a cheaper price. They'll need the cap space to re-sign some guys and possibly add a big acquisition.

Lugaid 07-08-2009 01:51 AM

It'll be a sad day when Nick retires, since he's been part of the team for so long. I watched some clips from like 95-96 and realized he's played with a HELL of alot of players.

Shame about Sakic really since Colorado is nothing to its old self, it was painful watching our former worthy adverseries like Sakic and Foote get absolutely crushed in the playoffs last year and then this season.

doublejack 07-08-2009 08:19 AM

This isn't meant as a slight against Lidstrom, but I think it was harder for Wings fans in general when Stevie Y decided to hang 'em up. Lidstrom will be missed for sure and he's one of the all time greats, but I don't think Nick got to the same level of adoration as Yzerman.

RedWingsNow* 07-08-2009 08:32 AM

Not even close.

darko 07-08-2009 08:38 AM

Listrom was/is 1 of my favorite players. Don't like Wings in general but I dont see how someone could dislike Lidstrom. Class act and 1 of the best d-man of our era...
It'll be a sad day when he retires.

Shoalzie 07-08-2009 09:02 AM

Much respect for Mr. Sakic...damn shame injuries had to end his career earlier than he probably would've wanted. We'll see him in Toronto in a few year for sure.

Lugaid 07-08-2009 09:03 AM

Agreed about Yzerman, but at least, to me, all captains would fall in Yzermans shadow, he was simply the best :)

12YearExtension 07-10-2009 03:23 PM

Yzerman won the fans hearts and was the Captain, but Lidstrom means more to this team as a player than Yzerman. Lidstrom is the best player in the last 15 years, over Jagr, Yzerman, Sakic, Forseberg, Sundin, Feds, Neidermayer, Pronger... The only arguable is Hasek, but he's a goalie.

Hopefully we have Loungo when Lidstrom retires, was a pleasure to watch.

Habanero514 07-11-2009 08:23 AM

Lidstrom is the best D in the league and the best European captain! :)

67coach 07-11-2009 09:24 AM

You can make the arguement......

That Nick is one of the greatest defensman to ever play the game.

He has 6 Norris trophies, 4 Stanley Cups, a Conn Smyth and is the first European to Hoist the greatest Trophy in all of sports.

He's a sure thing 1st ballot HOF'er and he did all this while being one of the nice guys, a guy you hope your kids emulate, someone that every athlete should look at and compare themselves to. In a time when our youth has so very few realistic role models to look up to, Nick Lidstrom is the epitemy of excellence and professionalism.