HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   inline wheel recommendation (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=661411)

goalisnogoal 07-08-2009 01:17 PM

inline wheel recommendation

Hi,

I am looking to replace wheels on CCM skates.
They are used mostly for street hockey and sometimes for outdoor (cement rink) hockey.
I will be getting 84A wheels in 72-76-76-80 configuration.
The question is - which brand should I go with?
I see kryptonics, labeda, rinkrat, hyper, revolution, and many more.
Which brand(s) do you folks think is better?

TIA.
nogoal

XxLidstromxX 07-08-2009 01:49 PM

Personally I go with the Labeda's or Hyper's. I have used Kryptonic's and rink rat's in the past and they are mainly meant to be used on inline floors.

Labeda's and Hyper's are all around wheels, if you are looking to play inside and outside don't use 84A, the best for both and is totally borderline are the 78A's - 82A's, 78A's are mostly common among recreational skaters.

Hope that helps a bit, you can check this site out for some more information http://www.sk8.co.nz/custompage-wheels.aspx just scroll down a bit to find the hardness chart.

roast 07-08-2009 03:07 PM

Avoid Rink Rat wheels - they're junk - Millennium Grippers (I think Labeda makes those) and Hyper wheels generally last awhile and are good.

IniNew 07-08-2009 03:34 PM

Best out-door wheels out there.

evgeni71 07-08-2009 06:36 PM

If I were you I'd go for harder, 82A+ wheels. I'd rather slip a bit indoor then have my wheels completely shredded by asphalt. Red Star makes these great 86A wheels for outdoor asphalt play, if you can find them they last forever.

I recently bought a set of Rink Rat V333, which are labeled as 84A. Once I skate on them I'll give a review.

Orange Crush 89 07-08-2009 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 20346286)

Have said that to me a couple years ago and I would have agreed. In fact I still have a used set in the shed for emergency backup. But then I found these.

WickedWrister 07-08-2009 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IniNew (Post 20346286)

Quoted for truth. These are the most durable wheels I've ever seen/used, and they're fairly cheap for outdoor wheels. I literally used these bad boys on asphalt and gravel and they were still durable

WickedWrister 07-08-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange Crush 89 (Post 20351904)
Have said that to me a couple years ago and I would have agreed. In fact I still have a used set in the shed for emergency backup. But then I found these.

88a? Doesn't that seem almost TOO hard? I imagine it would be great for asphalt and msot outdoor surfaces but if he ever played on something resembling a smooth surface he would wipe out.

goalisnogoal 07-09-2009 11:55 AM

I hear nothing but praise for the Labeda Asphalt wheels.
Any thoughts on if they would be appropriate for lighter teenagers,
say between 100 - 120 lbs?
Also, are the asphalts 84A?

TIA
nogoal

WickedWrister 07-09-2009 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goalisnogoal (Post 20358539)
I hear nothing but praise for the Labeda Asphalt wheels.
Any thoughts on if they would be appropriate for lighter teenagers,
say between 100 - 120 lbs?
Also, are the asphalts 84A?

TIA
nogoal

I weigh about 140lbs and the labedas (which are 84a) are perfect for an outdoor surface like asphalt. The main thing they have going for them is an insane amount of durability. These suckers take forever to wear down.

Orange Crush 89 07-09-2009 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 20352338)
88a? Doesn't that seem almost TOO hard? I imagine it would be great for asphalt and msot outdoor surfaces but if he ever played on something resembling a smooth surface he would wipe out.

Right, that's why I replied to someone saying the Labeda were the best out-door wheels. They're great wheels, I was just pointing out something I'd found that work great for outdoor play. It would be, obviously, unwise to use them on a nice indoor surface.

IniNew 07-09-2009 09:03 PM

I don't think I'd even want to use them on smooth concrete. I still slide sometimes with the 84a asphalt wheels.

evgeni71 07-10-2009 12:19 AM

88a!!:amazed:

I didn't even knew these existed. I'll be looking into these.

malkinfan 08-12-2009 01:21 PM

Anyone know a good website in Canada to buy from? PS Reebok Asphalt wheels suck, chunks ripped out after only 2 weeks.

pfloyd75 08-12-2009 02:34 PM

Labeda makes good wheels. I know a lot of guys like Hypers but I've never had anything but problems with them- they always chunk quickly for me.

f2racer 09-28-2009 08:58 AM

I couldn't find any 86A wheels on the Red Star site. Does anybody have any experience with their 84A Rocket Red wheels? They claim they are "the Ultimate Outdoor Wheel"...

jbennardo 09-28-2009 01:51 PM

Great thread.. I play on two different outdoor surfaces. One is a very smooth concrete, but still quite abrasive. The other is sealed, like a garage floor.

Normally I use some bulk wheels from my local Play It Again Sports. At 240 lbs. I can't go any softer than 84A... plus in our Florida heat, things tend to get squishy.

Some great suggestions, gonna look into some of the wheels mentioned.

f2racer 10-12-2009 11:49 AM

I recently bought a pair of Mission BSX skates. They came with Mission BSX 83A wheels. Been using them on the street and smoother asphalt parking lots 3-4 times a week. I weigh about 140 and don't skate particularly hard. They started chunking within 2 weeks and were pretty much toast within a month.

IW is/was running a deal (free bearings) on Red Star wheels, so I got a set of Rockets (84A) to replace the stock wheels and after 2 weeks, they're barely scuffed. As important as wear, the new wheels/bearings have made the ride much better. With the stock wheels it felt like I was skating on marbles and the skates had very little glide. Even though the Rockets have a higher hardness than the BSX wheels, they feel like they're absorbing the bumps better and the new bearings glide forever.

Hobgoblin Steve 10-14-2009 02:51 PM

Anybody have any experience with Red Star Triton wheels?
I need a wheel that holds a microbearing and will stand up to a sport court, an outdoor smoothsurface rink, and asphalt.

Hobgoblin Steve 10-16-2009 08:52 PM

Kind of wanted to bump this a little, because Im thinking about either those Tritons or those Asphalt ones.

Though im not sure if my LHS will have either of these in micros