HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Per Jon Jordan: Vrbata returning to NHL next season (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=661512)

CSampson 07-08-2009 04:40 PM

Per Jon Jordan: Vrbata returning to NHL next season

Per Twitter: JonJordan According to agent Rich Evans, Radim Vrbata is "definitely, 100 %" coming back to the NHL next year. Well, this could get interesting.

http://twitter.com/JonJordan

Well, it doesn't specify he's coming back to the Lightning, right? I'm all for giving him a second chance though, especially at 3 million.

Still All In 07-08-2009 04:43 PM

If hes coming back, hes coming to Tampa, i'm sure.

FrancoRussianAlaskan 07-08-2009 04:46 PM

Exactly, no one will want him for 3 mil/per with the season he had last year.

CSampson 07-08-2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeresHedman (Post 20347857)
Exactly, no one will want him for 3 mil/per with the season he had last year.

Hahaha, what season ;).

X0X0A0 07-08-2009 04:48 PM

I think everybody needs to give him a chance to spend an entire camp and couple months with a real coach and not Melrose before you bash him.
Posted via Mobile Device

FrancoRussianAlaskan 07-08-2009 04:51 PM

Oh, I'm not bashing him. I was big on him and I was excited when we signed him. I do think Melrose may have been a major part of the issue there.

Still All In 07-08-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 20347890)
I think everybody needs to give him a chance to spend an entire camp and couple months with a real coach and not Melrose before you bash him.
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree with this, yet his style of play does not seem to lend himself to Tocchets system.

Or does it? I didn't get to watch too much of him in Phoenix.

BadHammy* 07-08-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 20347890)
Posted via Mobile Device

I agree with that. This avoids us needing to give up a lot in trade and lets us pool resources for a 2nd goalie.

X0X0A0 07-08-2009 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeresHedman (Post 20347962)
Oh, I'm not bashing him. I was big on him and I was excited when we signed him. I do think Melrose may have been a major part of the issue there.

My post wasn't really directed at any one person, just the board.
Posted via Mobile Device

CSampson 07-08-2009 05:00 PM

3 million against us on the cap is gonna hurt though...

STRANGE VICTORY 07-08-2009 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CSampson (Post 20348125)
3 million against us on the cap is gonna hurt though...

Well I don't think they planned on signing any other big contracts anyway, so my guess is they don't like it, but it doesn't hurt us any.

Vasilevskiy 07-08-2009 05:32 PM

Jon Jordan -> Brian Lawton tells me Radim Vrbata and his agent have his permission to find an NHL team interested in his services.

LecavaYeahBaby 07-08-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viktors89 (Post 20348646)
Jon Jordan -> Brian Lawton tells me Radim Vrbata and his agent have his permission to find an NHL team interested in his services.

How does this work? We own him, I'd keep him around personally. We'd have to trade him...

FrancoRussianAlaskan 07-08-2009 05:41 PM

That's how it works. Find someone who wants you and if they want you enough, they'll trade.

LecavaYeahBaby 07-08-2009 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeresHedman (Post 20348808)
That's how it works. Find someone who wants you and if they want you enough, they'll trade.

So the player's agent has to work out a deal. Just strange. Keep him around, no way anyone takes his 3 mil anyway. The forward depth is a little weak atm...

Off Center 07-08-2009 06:05 PM

well tocchet knows all about radim and if there's a role for him on the team tocchet's the man who'd have to find it....not to say the financial side is irrelevant, but i'd imagine that if toc believed he could be a big part of our success, we wouldn't be trying to offload him this aggressively, we'd be more coy and hold out for more value instead of a screaming "for sale" sign before he sets foot in the country.

BadHammy* 07-08-2009 06:48 PM

I'm not surprised we don't want him back now. We should package him with the 2 d-men we're looking to trade for a backup goalie and wing prospects.

CSampson 07-08-2009 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STRANGE VICTORY (Post 20348580)
Well I don't think they planned on signing any other big contracts anyway, so my guess is they don't like it, but it doesn't hurt us any.

Having to pay his salary can hurt potential trades/deals in the future. If he isn't in the plans, financially "strapped" owners don't want to pay 3 million dollars.

Vitto79 07-08-2009 10:01 PM

Vrbata has been a good player in the past. maybe he is better now, Camp will tell.

They have some good forwards

Malone, Lecavalier, St Louis
Prospal, Stamkos, Vrbata
Vellieux, Halpern, Artchuykin
Craig, Hall, Downie,etc

TBLHoser 07-08-2009 11:54 PM

I'd like to see him a get a chance to "redeem" himself but I do agree that he might not be Tocs type of player. I think Tocchet is looking for the same type of player he was - one that would dirty his nose and Radim stood around alot and watched. Kinda like Mahalik (sp?)...

Yzerplan 07-09-2009 01:08 AM

Oh, yay Vrbata...Mr. Suck himself.

He shouldn't bother even unpacking his suitcase. Hes waiver fodder within three weeks of the opening season.

TBFan 07-09-2009 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by viktors89 (Post 20348646)

Good luck with that. Don't think the Lightning can afford to keep him.

Still All In 07-09-2009 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBFan (Post 20356618)
Good luck with that. Don't think the Lightning can afford to keep him.

They can afford him, but it doesn't mean they want to.

CSampson 07-09-2009 11:27 AM

Quote:

Toward that end, Lawton said he has given Evans permission to search the league for a team that will pick up Vrbata's contract that pays $3 million for the next two years.

"He won't fit into our plans," Lawton said. "There won't be a roster spot for him. He has the right to come back and if he wants to he can, and he'll end up in Norfolk."

If he does, Vrbata will still be paid $3 million, he just won't count toward Tampa Bay's salary cap number.

Vrbata was a disappointment last season after signing a three-year, $9 million free agent contract. He had three goals and six points in 18 games for the Lightning before returning to his native Czech Republic to finish out the season. Evans said that decision was Vrbata's and was fueled by the difficult pregnancy of Vrbata's wife, Petra, who in March gave birth to a healthy son, Krystof.

Vrbata had 12 goals, 17 points in 18 games for two different teams in the Czech Republic's elite league. The bonus for the Lightning was that Vrbata stopped receiving checks from Tampa Bay while he was in Europe and saved the team both straight payroll and salary cap money.
http://blogs.tampabay.com/lightning/

So looks like he's gone for good then. That settles that.

TheDaysOf 04 07-09-2009 11:32 AM

I'm really hoping he finds somewhere else to play or would rather stay in Europe than collect his 3million in Norfolk.