HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Am I the only one who thinks the solution is right under their nose?(Kostopoulos) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=662102)

InglewoodJack 07-09-2009 11:11 PM

Am I the only one who thinks the solution is right under their nose?(Kostopoulos)

Martin wants a grinder. He wants a physical winger. Why not sign back Tom Kostopolous? He's proven to give it 100% every night, and teams need players like that. So what's the point of signing some expensive free agent with no relation with the club, when we have a Habs veteran pretty much waiting for the team to call?

MathMan 07-09-2009 11:13 PM

Martin wants a physical winger for Gomez and Gionta. That means a physical scoring winger. In no way to I want Tom Kostopoulos anywhere near a scoring line, let alone the top line. The days of putting a grinder on scoring lines should be gone along with Carbonneau.

Montreal has a perfectly fine young power forward goal-scorer and a great up-and-coming power forward prospect. There's no need to sign a grinder just to saddle Gomez and Gionta with.

Kostopoulos has great energy, but I think we can agree that the hands aren't quite there.

DaHabMan 07-09-2009 11:15 PM

i'd still like gainey to sign kosto though

MathMan 07-09-2009 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaHabMan (Post 20370125)
i'd still like gainey to sign kosto though

No objection, so long as it's to play on the 3rd or 4th line. He's a good grinder.

He's got no business whiffing Gomez's passes is all I'm saying.

Maxpac 07-10-2009 06:31 AM

Oh please god no!

We have a better TK with Stewart, why bring him back instead of giving it to a diserving kid?

DougHarvey 07-10-2009 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maxpac (Post 20372187)
Oh please god no!

We have a better TK with Stewart, why bring him back instead of giving it to a diserving kid?

How is Stewart better except for fighting?

TK is a very good PK'er, great energy guy w/experience and even wore a letter for a game or two last season. He is by all accounts a great dressing room guy as well.

Maxpac 07-10-2009 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougHarvey (Post 20372287)
How is Stewart better except for fighting?

TK is a very good PK'er, great energy guy w/experience and even wore a letter for a game or two last season. He is by all accounts a great dressing room guy as well.

Stewart is MUCH better at puck control at high speed, we have more then enough players to play pk, we don't need to add another one. He's also younger and those types of signings end up hurting you at trade deadline when you can't get help because of cap issues.

Honestly, i just can't watch Kosto getting his butt kicked yet again...

Dan K 07-10-2009 07:14 AM

As much as I've liked Tommy K, I don't see room for him anymore. We don't need any more depth players; we need top end quality, or nothing at all. Guys like Chipchura, Stewart, Laraque, Metropolit are already with the team, and need to show that they can be just as useful. They won't do us any good not playing. And you need to eventually have room in your top 9 for Sergei, Pacioretty, D'Agostini...

The team is too crowded to be adding to our third and fourth line wings. We need top line talent (preferably with size), and maybe a centerman. Nothing else.

Freaky Habs Fan 07-10-2009 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by #11 Saku Koivu (Post 20372315)
As much as I've liked Tommy K, I don't see room for him anymore. We don't need any more depth players; we need top end quality, or nothing at all. Guys like Chipchura, Stewart, Laraque, Metropolit are already with the team, and need to show that they can be just as useful. They won't do us any good not playing. And you need to eventually have room in your top 9 for Sergei, Pacioretty, D'Agostini...

The team is too crowded to be adding to our third and fourth line wings. We need top line talent (preferably with size), and maybe a centerman. Nothing else.

I agree...and IMO, Kosto can't even play on a third line. Lapierre and Latendresse are both skilled or faily skilled and they can make things happen. The thing is Kostopoulos can't complete anything. He'd have to play on the fourth line, and we don't really have a place for him there...

Psycho Papa Joe 07-10-2009 07:37 AM

I think Gainey might still be interested, but he wants to sign his RFA's first and possibly add another d-man and then see how much money is left.

DougHarvey 07-10-2009 07:41 AM

Considering we lost all our leadership this offseason, that alone should make it a no-brainer.

Sergei needs to start in Hamilton until he learns a few things.If we're lucky they will package him and his brother for something we really need.

Little Nilan 07-10-2009 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougHarvey (Post 20372425)
Considering we lost all our leadership this offseason, that alone should make it a no-brainer.

Sergei needs to start in Hamilton until he learns a few things.If we're lucky they will package him and his brother for something we really need.

If we're lucky, they'll developp their potential here in Montreal.

Habsfanatical 07-10-2009 08:01 AM

Id love that.. Kosto was one of our most consistent players last year.. awesome at killing penalties.. takes the body and gives the body.. not bad for a cheap player.. tons of heart n grit

zzoo 07-10-2009 08:22 AM

Stewart will replace Kostopoulos

Dan K 07-10-2009 08:40 AM

Without turning this into a "Make Your Lines" thread... consider that at most, we will keep 14 forwards up with the team.

Centers:

Gomez
Plekanec
Lapierre
Metropolit
Chipchura

Since Chipchura would have to be waived, I assume all 5 will start the year with the team. If Chips has a really bad camp, he may be dealt for a bag of pucks. Otherwise, he or Metropolit ends up shifted to the wing.

Top 2 lines wingers:

Cammalleri
Gionta
A. Kostitsyn

These are the only three locks to be on our top 2 lines IMO, bringing our total to 8 forwards thus far.

2nd / 3rd line wingers:

Latendresse
S. Kostitsyn
Pacioretty
D'Agostini

One of these guys ends up bumped to the fourth line or in the press box, but all have track records showing they could earn a regular spot at some point.

4th line wingers:

Laraque
Stewart

And this makes 14 forwards.

There is no spot left for Kostopolous unless we send a kid down to Hamilton or make a trade. And I'm not convinced he would bring more to the team than developing one of these players would.

Kafka 07-10-2009 08:44 AM

As I said previously, Patioretty and Latendresse will be given a shot. Since I really like having snipers on the wing where they can have a large shooting angle (i.e. left handed on the right side), I guess Latendresse should stay on the RW. Patioretty is however a good candidate. He has speed, some grit and size and offensive habilities.

Expect both to get their chance on the first line. Priority however will be to find a winger that won't be slowing down the other two.

Puckhead58* 07-10-2009 08:51 AM

Yep....you're the only one who thinks we need Kostopoulos back....I sure don't think he is needed.

Greg Stewart is a younger version of Kosto and a bit cheaper too. I'd rather see a young player get Kosto's icetime or sign someone else who has a little skill with the puck and a big of grit too.

Kosto was great...he played hard and played with a lot of grit....but he's not a goalscorer and he doesn't do much with the puck.

otto bond 07-10-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DougHarvey (Post 20372425)

Last season, Seigei was....well horrible. One reason, I would say is lack of leadership off ice. This should have come from all angles. Management, coaching and older players on the team. It looks like management has learn from this and have put certain elemeent in place to help the case.
Next season will tell me what Sergei can really do. What I have seen from him that I like and was the most important character of his game was the fire he played with. That was gone last year. He is a great passer and perhaps a 20 goals scorer but if he don't play with the fire he showed before, he becomes just a skilled forward and perhaps AHL caliber. Still at 22, he doing fine.

shealy04 07-10-2009 09:02 AM

I wish we had a spot for TKO but I just don't see it happening. The guy gave his heart and soul to the team but I just don't see him wearing the CH next year.

I wish him well wherever he ends up!

otto bond 07-10-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shealy04 (Post 20372941)
I wish we had a spot for TKO but I just don't see it happening. The guy gave his heart and soul to the team but I just don't see him wearing the CH next year.

I wish him well wherever he ends up!

Well he would if we could move other peaces. Kosto is a 4th line that can help on the 3rd. If Laraque is a no go on most night, I say sign Kosto for the 4th
Stew-Chip/Metro-Kostopoulos. Not that bad. So to me, it's Laraque who is only good for a hand full of games. I also would prfer Kost to Metro but since I'm not sold yet with Chipper, he is more suited for the opening.

flappuck 07-10-2009 09:12 AM

As much as I like Nonstopoulos, I just don't see where he fits.
And if you're going to go a grinding defensive forward, might as well make an offer to Travis Moen.

otto bond 07-10-2009 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tout ptit (Post 20373048)
As much as I like Nonstopoulos, I just don't see where he fits.
And if you're going to go a grinding defensive forward, might as well make an offer to Travis Moen.

Theire is just something about Kosto's game that makes him a great 4th liner. The thing is, there are many players who can fill that spot. Same can be said about Moen.

flappuck 07-10-2009 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by otto bond (Post 20373099)
Theire is just something about Kosto's game that makes him a great 4th liner. The thing is, there are many players who can fill that spot. Same can be said about Moen.

Like I said, I just don't see any room for him but if you didn't trust one of the kids and really wanted to go after a more proven guy, might as well go for Moen but all in all, there's just no room.

la25ecoupe 07-10-2009 09:34 AM

Really curious to who will make it between:

Lats - Patches - Dags - SK74

as only three of them can be in the top 3 lines..

VAN-HAB 07-10-2009 10:04 AM

100%