HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Can you guys stil identify yourselves to the Montreal Canadiens? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=663023)

koh19 07-13-2009 06:23 AM

Can you guys stil identify yourselves to the Montreal Canadiens?
 
Ever since Mark Streit broke into the league with Montreal, I've been a huge fan of the Bleu Blanc Rouge. But now that guys like Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins and Komisarek are gone, it's just not the same. When I thought Montreal Canadiens, I thought Koivu, Kovalev,...

The lineup has completely changed in a matter of days and it seems like something's not right. Sure, every team goes through this process every now and then but not to this extent.

What's your thought on this?

katatoniak 07-13-2009 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koh19 (Post 20403719)
Ever since Mark Streit broke into the league with Montreal, I've been a huge fan of the Blue Blanc Rouge. But now that guys like Koivu, Kovalev, Higgins and Komisarek are gone, it's just not the same. When I thought Montreal Canadiens, I thought Koivu, Kovalev,...

The lineup has completely changed in a matter of days and it seems like something's not right. Sure, every team goes through this process every now and then but not to this extent.

What's your thought on this?

I'm 5'7'' so yes, I can identify myself more then before. haha

koh19 07-13-2009 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katatoniak (Post 20403736)
I'm 5'7'' so yes, I can identify myself more then before. haha

lol good one.

HabsHockey* 07-13-2009 06:55 AM

There's a logo on the front of the jersey that's bigger than any player that we've ever had, well maybe except one.

And Kovalev, when you think of the Habs, really?

King Woodballs 07-13-2009 06:58 AM

No matter what happens you should always be able to stick with your team.
Players come and players go
Gainey is trying to do what he can to improve this team to a point where they can content for a championship.
Gainey can't and wont let it happen like the penguins or senators, where you tank for half a decade so you can pill top picks.
The team wouldn't let that happen, nor would the fans. Habs fans are the only ones calling for someone to be traded after 3 mediocre games.

Tuggy 07-13-2009 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsHockey (Post 20403786)
There's a logo on the front of the jersey that's bigger than any player that we've ever had, well maybe except one.

That's how I feel. Players come and go every year, sure you miss some more than others but the team is still the same. I've been cheering for the Habs for as long as I can remember and while you do like to cheer for the name on the back from time to time, it's still always the logo on the front that you are really cheering for.

Fozz 07-13-2009 07:09 AM

It might take a few games to get used to the new look and players but not much more than that. I'm excited and look forward to a very entertaining team.

Doctor House 07-13-2009 07:10 AM

I identify with them even more than before.

Bacchus1 07-13-2009 07:14 AM

I still barely remember Lafleur playing ... and since then they have gone through a whack load of changes, so yes, I can still identify with the MONTREAL CANADIENS ... because they are the Habs, and not the players that come and go.

I must admit though, that I am nostalgic for the times that a player would play for us for years on end; now, players seem so much more disposable.

LyricalLyricist 07-13-2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katatoniak (Post 20403736)
I'm 5'7'' so yes, I can identify myself more then before. haha

I'm 6'4-6'5 and I used to play center when I was younger. I don't think i'll ever indentify with them by that standard.

LyricalLyricist 07-13-2009 07:35 AM

Meh, I like the team and people come and go, but it is different for me. I have to get back into it a bit. I mean, i'm still a habs fan and all, but my excitment went down a notch. Why? I grew up watching koivu. When we made ideal line-ups, komisarek, kovalev and so on would be part of it. Now, we have dif players, a dif team, while it may be better, it's still not the same. When Bourque won the cup with the avs...I bet people started to like the avs and respected them as a perrenial western conference contender at the time. That one person, that one storyline had people interested, had people into the game. That's just an example, but it goes to show, a person can effect how you see a logo. I have no blind faith to a logo, merely an appreciation of what it represents. If the players within a team, those who represent it, don't do so correctly, why should I accept it with blind faith? Either way, simple put, for years, we wanted to build a team, a winner. We had the core, and we we're building, we all wanted that core to win, it was the fans hope, their dream. Change the core and while the dream is the same, the idea of different people you imagined holding the cup being changed still needs some getting used to.

HabsHockey* 07-13-2009 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 20403917)
Meh, I like the team and people come and go, but it is different for me. I have to get back into it a bit. I mean, i'm still a habs fan and all, but my excitment went down a notch. Why? I grew up watching koivu. When we made ideal line-ups, komisarek, kovalev and so on would be part of it. Now, we have dif players, a dif team, while it may be better, it's still not the same. When Bourque won the cup with the avs...I bet people started to like the avs and respected them as a perrenial western conference contender at the time. That one person, that one storyline had people interested, had people into the game. That's just an example, but it goes to show, a person can effect how you see a logo. I have no blind faith to a logo, merely an appreciation of what it represents. If the players within a team, those who represent it, don't do so correctly, why should I accept it with blind faith? Either way, simple put, for years, we wanted to build a team, a winner. We had the core, and we we're building, we all wanted that core to win, it was the fans hope, their dream. Change the core and while the dream is the same, the idea of different people you imagined holding the cup being changed still needs some getting used to.

Saw my first cup in 86, my second in 93, and i'm more excited about seeing my third then i was for the others, i care about who's on my team but you can't get attached to players since a player doesn't make your entire team. I witnessed Roy leave and my heart melted but there was no way i could ever cheer for the Av's. I am a Habs Fan.

Habs 4 Life 07-13-2009 07:46 AM

I can,RDS might have some little problems:laugh:

LyricalLyricist 07-13-2009 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HabsHockey (Post 20403932)
Saw my first cup in 86, my second in 93, and i'm more excited about seeing my third then i was for the others, i care about who's on my team but you can't get attached to players since a player doesn't make your entire team. I witnessed Roy leave and my heart melted but there was no way i could ever cheer for the Av's. I am a Habs Fan.

I used to be an Av's and Habs fan. Solely habs now. Actually, back in the day, I used to cheer for any canadian team, yes, including toronto. Why? because I realized we only had 6 and i appreciated their importance. I've become much more bias since then though. Anyway, never said I'm not a habs fan, still am, my favourite team, always will be. But I think it's only fair that me, or some other people may lose some excitement and appreciation when certain factors change. Maybe i'll get a chance to like these guys just as much. But i'll tell you now, as a koivu fan, I'm hoping the ducks do well. That's not because I'm a ducks fan, but cuz i'm a koivu can, and while I haven't changed teams by any means, I still hope he wins the cup more than any habs player on our roster, right or wrong, it's how I feel.

Ozymandias 07-13-2009 07:53 AM

Yes because I identify myself (in sports fan matter) tp the logo in front and all its history and tradition, not with the name on the back of the jersey.

That's why I rarely blast any players on the team, and why I always give my support to all players on the team.

IMO, some people's priorities are mixed up if they put too much enmphasis on the name on the back of the jersey.

LesCanadiens 07-13-2009 07:57 AM

Unfortunately, not many of these players deserve to be identified with the Habs. The main thing I've always identified with the Habs (image below), is sadly becoming a distant memory...hope that changes.

http://library.thinkquest.org/06aug/...StanleyCup.jpg

LyricalLyricist 07-13-2009 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozymandias (Post 20403979)
Yes because I identify myself (in sports fan matter) tp the logo in front and all its history and tradition, not with the name on the back of the jersey.

That's why I rarely blast any players on the team, and why I always give my support to all players on the team.

IMO, some people's priorities are mixed up if they put too much enmphasis on the name on the back of the jersey.

lol, my priorities are messed up then. I don't put too much emphasis, but there's certain players you want to win, some you don't care if they're even in the NHL.

Iwishihadacup 07-13-2009 08:00 AM

they havent changed logo so yes

waffledave 07-13-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life (Post 20403955)
I can,RDS might have some little problems:laugh:

Can't wait to see how they pronounce the names...

Gomez = Joemech

Gionta = Guyonte

Cammalleri = Cammeyeri

Spacek = Spaceman

Gill = Guile

Mara = Mère

Moen = Vokonne

Fire Everyone 07-13-2009 08:09 AM

I obviously can't identify with those guys.

But that's because I'm not a millionaire and don't make a living playing a game.

Le Tricolore 07-13-2009 08:10 AM

I like the team for the logo on the front, not the name on the back.

habaholic 07-13-2009 08:12 AM

Yes, more than ever, well at least the last 10-15 years.

Grew up watching the late 80's version of the habs which consisted of players known more for their hard work, willingness to pay the price to win and less about talent, although they did have talented players.

This is the first year since perhaps the 92-93 team that I feel confident that we have, at least on paper, a team that will compete every night, a team that won't be weak mentally and a team that will be really hard to play against.

Woland 07-13-2009 08:14 AM

I've been in Switzerland all summer sportin' my Habs hat.

I will always identify myself to the logo not matter who or what .

Ozymandias 07-13-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist (Post 20404004)
lol, my priorities are messed up then. I don't put too much emphasis, but there's certain players you want to win, some you don't care if they're even in the NHL.

Don't get me wrong, I remember everyone who had a say in the team"s success, but the reality of sports is that players retire, players move away, and the only thing that always remains is the tradition and history of the club.

What I meant by priorities, is that I always put the team first, the players second in my heart.

Shabutie 07-13-2009 08:31 AM

I can...Gionta has always been one of my favorite players in the league.

I also love the fact that we have so many more vocal players now. Kovalev and Koivu were two very quiet guys.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:34 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.