HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Backwards Skating (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=663654)

Cadet 07-15-2009 12:28 AM

Backwards Skating

I can skate backwards, but would like to improve.

I am looking for some kind of drill that involves dryland that would improve my backwards skating, more specifically backwards cross overs.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BadHammy* 07-15-2009 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cadet (Post 20429347)

I am looking for some kind of drill that involves dryland that would improve my backwards skating, more specifically backwards cross overs.

There is no such drill. All you have to do is learn proper technique and practice it. Outside edge control is a key.

noobman 07-15-2009 11:24 AM

Quote:

Backwards crossovers require the use of your toes. You could try skipping or hopping on your toes to get yourself more comfortable with using your toes, but the benefits will be minuscule until you master the on-ice technique.

Gino 14 07-15-2009 02:25 PM

Rollerblading will help this, it was a snap to learn them on blades and then I took it to ice.

Hockeyfan68 07-15-2009 06:08 PM

I'm not a great backwards skater and there aRE actually NHL and pro guys who do not either very well.

Watching Glen Murray when he played for Boston skating backwards was painful to watch when he tried to cover on D. A brutally awful backwards skater.

In any case I am mediocre with backwards skating, never worked on it much like I should have but do it when it is required and i do it okay enough for a forward.

I just started playing D in pickup games as they only had ice time for a D man and it is pickup so who cares if I screw up .... I had fun last Friday night and will play D again for them this Thursday.

one thing i did do a few years ago was go to a rink where not many showed up for shinny hockey so you could practice things instead because there were not enough folk to play a game .... I would do backwards leg overs in a big circle in center ice blueline to redline to blueline to redline in a big circle. I would just do laps and after about 4 laps it became smooth without much effort.

I would recommend doing that if you can access a rink to do that. I am going to try that again soon and also try those big circles and then work my way into more complex stuff backwards.

Our team needs help on D so I have taken an interest in trying it out .... I am solid with carrying the puck as a forward and we need someone who can carry the puck out of our end properly.

I think it is fun and something new ... i do feel awkward at times skating backwards as I am not used to doing it as much as a Dman does in a game.

Good practice for sure.

Go play shinny and play defense ... that'll help you learn in a place where it won't hurt to screw up.

UpGoesRupp 07-17-2009 03:40 AM

when you're on the ice. Always do a cross over as soon as you go backwards.

You can set up a cone about 10 feet ahead of you. You then run towards it and pivot on foot and run back to your starting point. pivoting again. It'll get your legs more comfortable and powerful with being backwards. However, as far as just speed and agility, you'll have to just practise on the ice.

Placebo Effect 07-17-2009 03:56 AM

Yeah as second poster said, not really much you can do on dry land other than on inline skates.

BadHammy* 07-17-2009 04:11 AM

Regular backward skating is heel to toe, just like the proper forward stride. However, agility maneuvers going backward require the use of the toe, not the heel as you would in forward skating. Just practicing a lot is the best advice.

milkshow 07-17-2009 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick The Rypper (Post 20457292)
Yeah as second poster said, not really much you can do on dry land other than on inline skates.

I sometimes catch myself just watching PK's skating during his games.

Beautiful

Headcoach 07-18-2009 12:01 AM

Quote:

Ok, here's a drill to help you improve your backwards skating crossovers.

Grab the net at the goal line and pull it while you skate backwards. What this is going to do for you is act link a big crutch. Now, lets say you are going to start off pulling the next.

You will want to start with a big "C" cut first, then move right into the crossover. Make sure that you do 2 crossover first before the transition.

Ok, what...transition? Yes, this is the point between shifting from crossing over from going right to crossing over to going left.

At this point, you should have both skates on the ice with a two to three second glide, between going from side to side.

So it should be...two to the right, (2 second glide) two to the left (2 second glide) two to the right (2 second glide) and so on.

Once you get the transition down pat, then you can decrease the time of transition so that it looks like you are moving two to the right and two to the left with problems.

Now, when you are pulling the net, make sure you pull the net in different directions to accommodate the shifting of your hips in the crossover.

Once you have a good feeling and good balance, then do the same thing without the net.

Hope this helps!

Head coach

Ani simov mal 07-18-2009 12:27 AM

This is old, but helpful.