HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Flyers at #4 per ESPN.com (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=663983)

Kaktus* 07-15-2009 09:55 PM

Flyers at #4 per ESPN.com

1 Attachment(s)
I never care what ESPN has to say but it is summer time. Boring as hell with out hockey.

By some moron Terry Frei http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...rry&id=4323473

Chris Pronger had yet to take an ill-advised penalty for the Flyers when they signed him to a seven-year extension. His lack of discipline and unpredictability certainly is part of his game and thus his effectiveness, whether against the Penguins or Capitals or anyone else, and it's not as if the Ducks' approach was anything close to passive the past few years. John Stevens' challenge is to keep Pronger -- who knows the main reason he has been brought in is to harass the conference's young superstars (well, except for Jeff Carter and Mike Richards), and probably already is taking Russian lessons to pick up a few terms for Army boots and worse -- from getting too caught up in the Broad Street atmosphere and doing at least as much harm as good. But if Ray Emery indeed is a changed man, there will be a lot of general managers deservedly getting heat for not taking a shot at him -- and we're talking about a wrister from the slot.

1. Pens
2. Wash
3. Boston
4. Flyers
5. Canes
6. Devils
7. Rangers
8. Leafs
9. Habs
10. Sabres
11. Sens
12. Florida
13. Tampa
14. NYI
15. Atlanta

Below is what Terry Frei looks like if anyone gives a ****.

flyersguy33* 07-15-2009 09:58 PM

#4 for what? Im confused. :help:

PhilaFlyers 07-15-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyersguy33 (Post 20441545)
#4 for what? Im confused. :help:

Eastern Conference preseason rankings

DeadPhish5858 07-15-2009 10:49 PM

Its nice to be that high, but ESPN doesn't know much about hockey. I mean they are the ones with Barry Melrose.

flyersguy33* 07-15-2009 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyers (Post 20441613)
Eastern Conference preseason rankings

ahhh that would make sense considering Tampa and Atlanta are at the bottom. :shakehead

markzab 07-16-2009 12:09 AM

How are the Leafs going to make the playoffs without any forwards? :sarcasm:

GoneFullHextall 07-16-2009 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markzab (Post 20442972)
How are the Leafs going to make the playoffs without any forwards? :sarcasm:

they are this years Tampa Bay Lightning only the opposite.

six sigma 07-16-2009 12:56 AM

If you think Frei sucks, I hope you never had to listen to Tony Kornheiser talk about hockey.:laugh:

Preseason rankings are just a shot in the dark anyway.

JSTAFF 07-16-2009 07:56 AM

Atlanta makes the playoffs this year. get your $$ in now

LEIFey 07-16-2009 08:33 AM

i love how you improved a picture of the writer. lol.

Kambo 07-16-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEIFey (Post 20444821)
i love how you improved a picture of the writer. lol.

His hair is almost as awesome as Brian Engblom's. I'm ****ing jealous.

stealthelephant 07-16-2009 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 (Post 20442159)
Its nice to be that high, but ESPN doesn't know much about hockey. I mean they are the ones with Barry Melrose.

I miss wednesday night NHL on ESPN with the mullet.

Terence Peterman 07-16-2009 10:10 AM

This makes me realize how lame the East can be.

EvilEmpire94 07-17-2009 02:07 AM

those standings make some sense but the leafs making the playoffs boggles my mind.

LEIFey 07-17-2009 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilEmpire94 (Post 20457186)
those standings make some sense but the leafs making the playoffs boggles my mind.

well, they did make some huge moves on defense. depending on how that unit gels and how the monster adjusts to NA, i could see them doing pretty well. their offense just needs some work. if jason blake is your leading scorer...:shakehead:

on closer inspection of this guy's head, he has a pretty vast cranial capacity.

Spongolium* 07-17-2009 09:25 AM

We would be in 1st with upshall

MCAKES 07-19-2009 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongolium (Post 20458520)
We would be in 1st with upshall

kill me

FlyersCup08 07-19-2009 11:21 AM

The Atlantic Division is too competitive for one of its teams to finish 1st. Washington gets to beat up on Tampa, Atlanta, and Florida. Boston beats up on the Sens, Leafs, and Sabres. We have just the Isles in our division.

1. Washington (early playoff exit though)
2. Boston
3. FLYERS
4. Pittsburgh
5. New Jersey
6. Carolina
7. Montreal (just because they will end up playing Boston no matter what)
8. NYR/TOR (toss up)

TheTaekster 07-19-2009 11:24 AM

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...29625&name=nhl

scott burnside=raging ****ing jackass

seriously, THIS is exactly what's wrong with hockey today. idiots like this who care NOTHING about the team game and more about marketing and showmanship. shoot me.

TheTaekster 07-19-2009 11:29 AM

and my response, which has since inexplicably been deleted from the blog...

this has to be one of the stupidest blogs i've ever read on this site.

i won't even bother to touch on your flawed logic, since i'm a flyers fan and it would be a waste of time to try to convince you that one of the most revered teams in NHL history (not to mention THE winningest American NHL franchise of all time in terms of winning %). my stupidity radar really went off with your mention that this somehow affects a future showdown between the pens and flyers at beaver stadium. what, forget about 2 years ago? when the pens were in the winter classic? didn't hear any complaining then.

just because the flyers choose to ice a solid team year in year out (minus 06-07...but we in flyerdom try to forget about that year) instead of tanking for a number of years to stockpile draft picks and make the obvious draft choices (i give ZERO credit to ray "i can't be my daddy" shero for making picks a 3 year old would have made) does not mean we don't deserve a winter classic. i know washington is a hockey hotbed now (psh...yeah right) but give me a break.

CantSeeColors 07-19-2009 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CannonMTG (Post 20478237)
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/...29625&name=nhl

scott burnside=raging ****ing jackass

seriously, THIS is exactly what's wrong with hockey today. idiots like this who care NOTHING about the team game and more about marketing and showmanship. shoot me.

"Does anyone remember the buzz of the Washington-Pittsburgh playoff series a year ago?"

Does anyone remember what happened? No, because nobody watched it.

FlyersCup08 07-19-2009 01:15 PM

Quote:

Did anyone notice that Ovechkin won his second straight Hart Trophy in June and that the Caps are among the most exciting teams in the NHL with a supporting cast that includes Norris Trophy candidate Mike Green, Nicklas Backstrom and Alexander Semin?
What about Jeff Carter, finishing 2nd in goals, or Selke candidate Mike Richards, or Hart Trophy and Norris winner Chris Pronger, or Danny Briere, Simon Gagne, Kimmo Timonen, and Holly Cote?:sarcasm:

Give me a ******* break. Trying to make it seem like the Caps have more than Ovechkin is BS. The only reason Green puts up numbers is because there are 3 guys covering Ovechkin so Green is open.

No one likes the Caps, they're a garbage team, and that's why they're not in the Winter Classic.

LEIFey 07-19-2009 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 (Post 20479364)
What about Jeff Carter, finishing 2nd in goals, or Selke candidate Mike Richards, or Hart Trophy and Norris winner Chris Pronger, or Danny Briere, Simon Gagne, Kimmo Timonen, and Holly Cote?:sarcasm:

Give me a ******* break. Trying to make it seem like the Caps have more than Ovechkin is BS. The only reason Green puts up numbers is because there are 3 guys covering Ovechkin so Green is open.

No one likes the Caps, they're a garbage team, and that's why they're not in the Winter Classic.

I don't think the Caps are garbage, but you're right about Holly Cote. Holly Cote is win.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3130/...23aae9.jpg?v=0

Iginloob 07-19-2009 05:26 PM

Please let this be the year where we have the Flames vs Flyers for Lord Stanley :handclap:

TheTaekster 07-19-2009 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LEIFey (Post 20481505)
I don't think the Caps are garbage, but you're right about Holly Cote. Holly Cote is win.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3130/...23aae9.jpg?v=0

met riley at a signing yesterday and she was there...holy **** is she fine