HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Ottawa Senators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Rachunek's past 9 games as a NYR (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=66402)

Sting 03-30-2004 08:38 PM

Rachunek's past 9 games as a NYR

9GP 1G 0A -5

Hmm still too early to tell, but I don't quite think Rachunek was ever the d-man we used to think he was. Looking back, the only reason he probably got points or a decent +/- was likely due to Redden and the players surrounding him. Again, it's still a bit early to tell...but he's definately not having much success in New York.

TexSen 03-30-2004 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting004
9GP 1G 0A -5

Hmm still too early to tell, but I don't quite think Rachunek was ever the d-man we used to think he was. Looking back, the only reason he probably got points or a decent +/- was likely due to Redden and the players surrounding him. Again, it's still a bit early to tell...but he's definately not having much success in New York.

True enough, but there's sure to be an adjustment period. I would say this year is a write off for him and that we'll have to watch him closely next year.

That being said, de Vries hasn't lit the lamp either....but his + - seems to be decent game to game.

leafaholix* 03-30-2004 08:51 PM

Greg de Vries: 10 games, 1 assist, 8 shots, Even.

That's not much better... especially considering he's a veteran and gets paid much more then Rachunek.

littleHossa 03-30-2004 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leafaholix

That's not much better... especially considering he's a veteran and gets paid much more then Rachunek.

What's your business here, the Rachunek comment was an honest comment, he never played on a bad team with no support before.

senate 03-30-2004 10:05 PM

I think its impossible to make a name as a good defencemen or even put up good stats on a Sather-era NY Rangers team. Playing on that team makes everyone look worse. The rangers are the black hole of hockey, once talent is caught in its gravity it cannot escape and is inevitably destroyed.

This is my first post with the new smilies so behold my chorus of Banana dancers ...
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
Dance! Dance I say banana men! Dance! HA HA HA :jump:

littleHossa 03-30-2004 10:12 PM

Ya, I forgot testing the new icons myself
:bow: :jump: :jump: :jump: :jump: :banghead: :lol :lol :innocent:

leafaholix* 03-30-2004 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleHossa
What's your business here, the Rachunek comment was an honest comment, he never played on a bad team with no support before.

So was mine.

I think Sather wanted de Vries out because he overpaid him during the offseason and with the whole CBA thing coming up, he wanted to move as many veterans as possible.

Sting 03-30-2004 10:53 PM

Quote:

So was mine.

I think Sather wanted de Vries out because he overpaid him during the offseason and with the whole CBA thing coming up, he wanted to move as many veterans as possible.

I've got to partially agree with him. I did expect more out of DeVries...but he's not coughing the puck up or making any serious mistakes like Rachunek did at times. Like Rachunek I suppose, he's gonna need a bit of time to get used to playing with good players! The opposite for Rachunek. :)

Quantas 03-30-2004 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sting004
I've got to partially agree with him. I did expect more out of DeVries...but he's not coughing the puck up or making any serious mistakes like Rachunek did at times. Like Rachunek I suppose, he's gonna need a bit of time to get used to playing with good players! The opposite for Rachunek. :)

Actually I thought he did quite a bit of that against Tampa. He was bumped off the puck and too often was fumbling around with it in his skates (though you could blame the passer for that). He started out well enough, but like Bondra, has cooled considerably.

Oh well, like everyone else, he has 3 games to get his game in shape. The guy I'm really worried about is Chara.

cyrisweb 03-31-2004 04:16 AM

Quote:

Not to mention De vries is now playing on a much better team.. he hasn't played all that much better at all. But his worth will be shown in the playoffs don't worry.

Capt Tuttle 03-31-2004 09:06 AM

Quote:

I believe the Even stat is quite a bit better than Rachunek's -5. You can argue about Rachunek being on the Rangers but De Vries had a reasonable +/- when he was with them. Having said that, I agree with TexSen, 10 games or so, does not a season make, so we'll have to wait and see.

Other Dave 03-31-2004 09:24 AM

Me, I'm hoping Rachunek has a distinguished career in the NHL, with the Rangers or whatever other teams he ends up on. It's nice to see Sens products flourishing around the league.

'holix is right; Sather wanted to get rid of de Vries' veteran salary. Losers trade expensive players to winners who can afford them so they can lose on the cheap, that's the way the NHL works.

Other Dave

o-dog 03-31-2004 09:49 AM

I think de Vries was overpaid, but Ottawa actually gets him on the way down in his contract. It started at $4.2 Mil this year, but the numbers go down as the years go by. Still a lot of money for a guy like that, but not as bad as it initially appears

montysens 03-31-2004 11:46 AM

:gman:
:sens
:hockey:

cooool
Yeah, byebye Karel

discostu 03-31-2004 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Other Dave
Me, I'm hoping Rachunek has a distinguished career in the NHL, with the Rangers or whatever other teams he ends up on. It's nice to see Sens products flourishing around the league.

I want the same thing, except, I like to add the phrase "after he fires Gandler" at the end of it. Until then, he can rot in New York ;)

sensens 03-31-2004 12:25 PM

I was never much of a Rachunek fan, and was generally of the opinion that his abilities were largely embelished on this board. He has pretty sound puck-moving skills, but I found that he was heavily overplayed in Ottawa, often beyond his abilities. Very streaky and not prone to playing his best hockey when it's needed, Rachunek also had a notoriously poor attitude and, with Gandler as his agent, would likely have been trouble in terms of future contracts. I think we'll find that de Vries likely has more of a gut-check ability, as well as an ability to perform and contribute beyond what his stats indicate.

That being said, if the Rangers aren't on the line for even a few bucks of de Vries' salary, then I have to say that we probably paid too much to get him. Rachunek is still almost 10 years younger, $2M cheaper, and is still clearly capable of top-6 duty in spite of his shortcomings.

I'm also not entirely sure why Alexandre Giroux had to be included in the deal. I'd originally thought it was something of a 'future considerations' deal that would have seen the Rangers back off claiming Jason Wiemer if Minnesota had traded him to Ottawa, but as that deal never materialized, I really couldn't say why we had to throw in a fairly decent prospect to consomate that deal.

Melrose_Jr. 03-31-2004 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capt Tuttle
I believe the Even stat is quite a bit better than Rachunek's -5. You can argue about Rachunek being on the Rangers but De Vries had a reasonable +/- when he was with them.

That was a different Ranger team. Racheunek's paired with Thomas Pock, who was signed out of college last week and has now appeared 4 pro games. In fact, the only other d-man on the team who could be considered an established top 6 is Mironov. We're talking about a roster where Jan Hlavac is a 1st liner and Josh Green is a 2nd liner. Chris McAllister is now a forward. This is not a competitive team.

That said, I hoped to see Racheunek's NHL experience stand out among a group that has virtually none and that hasn't been the case. As many have said here though, it's too early to judge, especially under these circumstances.

Capt Tuttle 04-02-2004 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melrose_Jr.
That was a different Ranger team. Racheunek's paired with Thomas Pock, who was signed out of college last week and has now appeared 4 pro games. In fact, the only other d-man on the team who could be considered an established top 6 is Mironov. We're talking about a roster where Jan Hlavac is a 1st liner and Josh Green is a 2nd liner. Chris McAllister is now a forward. This is not a competitive team.

It never was.

The King of Town 04-02-2004 02:44 PM

Quote:

So was mine.

It's rather amusing to me how the Leafs fans dismiss the de Vries acquisition with a simple "he's overpaid", yet MLSE paid a retired Johanssen almost a million dollars more (pro-rated) for his services.

has there been any info on how much of de Vries' contract Sather is picking up?

I do agree that we should consider this season a wash for Rachunek... consider his supporting cast, after all. I think we'll get a better idea next year.

Leaf_Crazy 04-02-2004 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by littleHossa

I find it amusing that the Rachunek comment happens right after he is traded.... And you agree, because hes not a sen anymore that hes "Not what you thought he was"

Then De Vries comes in, doesnt do much better... has 1 assist and your excuse is probably "He needs time to Gel".... But of course Rachunek is in a totally different position Right?!?