HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Broken Right Leg (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=664256)

roast 07-16-2009 03:02 PM

Broken Right Leg

Hello,
I recently broke my right leg (femur break) - have small bone exit wounds, etc. Basically i was chasing after another guy with the puck since no one was back checking, i just about caught him but our skates hit and I went into the boards at full speed. Has anyone had any experience with this type of injury? At one week since its been done and 6 days since the surgery to insert the rod and screws, i can crutch around the hospital, although i get winded quickly. Just wondering what type of recovery time / experience i may be looking at.
thanks!

Hockeyfan68 07-16-2009 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roast (Post 20450099)
Hello,
I recently broke my right leg (femur break) - have small bone exit wounds, etc. Basically i was chasing after another guy with the puck since no one was back checking, i just about caught him but our skates hit and I went into the boards at full speed. Has anyone had any experience with this type of injury? At one week since its been done and 6 days since the surgery to insert the rod and screws, i can crutch around the hospital, although i get winded quickly. Just wondering what type of recovery time / experience i may be looking at.
thanks!

Oh my that's horrible .... my sympathies on missing time playing. You may have seen my torn bicep post and fortunately missed just 6 weeks and started playing last week finally.

As for that type of injury you've sustained I do not know anything about it. I do know you should not be playing for a long time to give it time to heal ... I am not sure if you are familiar with many NHL guys with broken legs but they always miss a very long time because they are easy to rebreak unless you do give it time.

Even when you are able to skate on it pain free it needs more time than most injuries to heal even more.

Please take it easy with that and if you miss 3 to 4 months you do. eat it and like it .... remember this could have been worse like blwong your knee out or something. At least bones heal well and with structural assistance like rods and screws you should be just fine with time.

frito 07-16-2009 09:11 PM

As the previous poster mentioned, look at some of the NHL players with similar injuries. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Curtis Foster of the Wld (now Lightning I believe) missed a full year when he broke his femur and had rods and screws put in it.

Rickety Cricket 07-16-2009 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frito (Post 20454883)
As the previous poster mentioned, look at some of the NHL players with similar injuries. I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but Curtis Foster of the Wld (now Lightning I believe) missed a full year when he broke his femur and had rods and screws put in it.

Yea I was just gonna mention Foster

Heat McManus 07-16-2009 10:36 PM

I broke mine in 1996 and it was a 6-8 month recovery.

roast 07-17-2009 09:55 AM

Guys,
thanks for the info - i figured i'd be looking at least around a 6 mo minimum recovery...

UpGoesRupp 07-17-2009 11:34 AM

when you start feeling a little better keep working out your upper body and just get some excerise. very basic. but that'll make the recovery faster as your body has to keep replenishing itself.

Heat McManus 07-17-2009 12:10 PM

I've had two 6-8 month recoveries in my life. Broken femur in 1996, and knee realignment in 2006.

One thing I've learned is you should try your best not to get discouraged in the recovery process. It's can be a complete *****. You'll be making great progress for days and then all of a sudden you hit a bit of a wall. Don't let it get to you, just keep your head up

TheGooooch 07-17-2009 06:04 PM

Really sorry to hear about that. Good luck on the recovery. Like someone else said, just stick with it and keep your thoughts positive because it can get frustrating

Mayor Bee 07-17-2009 11:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roast (Post 20450099)
Hello,
thanks!

It'll be a while....you're looking at multiple months.

I think it was Mick Vukota was broke his leg in juniors and figured that since he was in a cast, he'd just do full upper-body workouts. Needless to say, his strength and endurance throughout the upper body skyrocketed to NHL levels during a time when he couldn't do much else. Although I'm sure you'll be given a more specific workout program once the cast comes off, you'll end up needing weight-bearing exercise on the leg in order to both strengthen it and deposit more calcium into the bone.

Look at this as an opportunity. It's a great chance to both work the upper body and also study the way you play more closely, both of which will make you a better player when you step back onto the ice.

Redden Hogalot* 07-18-2009 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Murderin Murphy (Post 20454962)
Yea I was just gonna mention Foster

He missed just about a season of play, and that was incredibly fast for his injury.

Canadiens1958 07-18-2009 11:47 AM

Rehab

Quote:

Originally Posted by roast (Post 20458800)
Guys,
thanks for the info - i figured i'd be looking at least around a 6 mo minimum recovery...

Before the start of serious rehab get a proper evaluation and find a rehab therapist who is familiar with athletes and hockey players as opposed to one who works with non-athletes.

Such a therapist will have more experience helping you get back into playing shape as opposed to simply everyday shape. They will be better able to judge your capacities and needs.

PhysicalTorque 07-18-2009 05:39 PM

Out for the season, unless you want to rekindle the break...