HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: When will the Flyers get their man? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=665133)

TSports 07-19-2009 10:00 PM

When will the Flyers get their man?

I personally think he is the man for the Flyers, but iam undecided if he can bring a cup to Philly

Quote:

Why is there a goaltending íblack holeí in Philadelphia? Where are our goalie prospects from over the years? Why donít we have any well known or talked about goalie prospects? Is Ray Emery the answer in Philadelphia? What happens when his contract is up next year? Does all of this sound disgustingly familiar? Iím afraid so. And Iíll do my best to answer those questions.

Year after year, the biggest question for the Flyers is their goaltending. And this year isnít any different.
http://www.crashthecrease.com/?p=5633

mercury 07-19-2009 10:07 PM

Goaltending wasn't the issue last year.

FlyHigh 07-19-2009 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 20483980)

Honestly, outside of the 06-07 debacle and 05-06, goaltending hasn't really been a main issue for this club for a very long-time.

turkinaa 07-19-2009 10:12 PM

The goaltending last season was up and down, but if it were possible to have kept Biron and Nitty with reasonable contracts they would still be here. It was a pretty good combo. The biggest problem the Flyers have is drafting goalies and that's what the article is really about, the lack of drafting a goalie and having him go through the system ... and winning the cup with them.

stealthelephant 07-19-2009 10:15 PM

There was an article on ESPN earlier in the year which was fairly in depth interviewing bob clarke and detailing the flyers goaltending situation over the past 10-15 years.

Bob Clarke actually said something to the likes of "we would rather dedicate 5-6$ mil into a top forward/defenseman then a goalie, cause you have a better idea what you're going to get in the long run".

Clarke used detriot as a model for a top tier team that has won championships without spending a huge amount on goaltending.

BlueCollarCaptain 07-19-2009 11:09 PM

Although I'm hoping that this Emery thing pans out for us, I'd really like to see Homer take a stab at acquiring Josh Harding. I feel that he has the potential to do great things and become a franchise goaltender given the right situation and circumstances..but then again with the cap and our inflexibility, who knows what will happen.

TheSkatingDutchman 07-20-2009 12:57 AM

Getting good goaltending is harder than it seems. Goaltending is equal parts between the pipes and between your ears. Not to mention goalies can be highly touted and fizzle *cough DiPietro cough* or just come out of nowhere and shine like Tim Thomas has or Hasek did.

Clarke was right on when he said it's easier to spot talent in a forward or d-man. I think the Flyers have just been on the wrong side of goalie lottery.

Murphy7 07-20-2009 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stealthelephant (Post 20484051)
There was an article on ESPN earlier in the year which was fairly in depth interviewing bob clarke and detailing the flyers goaltending situation over the past 10-15 years.

Bob Clarke actually said something to the likes of "we would rather dedicate 5-6$ mil into a top forward/defenseman then a goalie, cause you have a better idea what you're going to get in the long run".

Holmgren said something similar at Town Hall.

digger18 07-20-2009 01:00 AM

We had the same problem in Vancouver for years after McLean. We got our man in Luongo and the team still loses when it matters the most.

With the roster you guys have in place, Emery only has to be solid back there and you have a great shot at the Cup IMO.

BobbyClarkeFan16 07-20-2009 01:11 AM

I like the Emery signing. I've been a big fan of his from his days in junior hockey and certainly feel that his reputation in Ottawa was mostly an overblown media creation.

As far as goaltending prospects in the future, I really like the potential that Eriksson has shown so far. He's going to be playing for Leksand in the SEL in 09-10 and if he can stay for a couple of years and dominate, we might have a potential Lundqvist on our hands.

RJ8812 07-20-2009 06:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercury (Post 20483980)

well, it was the main issue

but Biron didnt help the cause

BringBackStevens 07-20-2009 07:20 AM

:facepalm:

How annoying, it might help for some of these writers to actually follow the team and find out why they didn't win

Andrew Knoll 07-20-2009 07:46 AM

I wouldnt point to goaltending as the problem last year and the year before Biron was instrumental in bringing us to the ECF outplaying Huet and Price over the course of two series.

Last year was probably about the most secure in net the Flyers have been for a while, even looking at one or both guys leaving, I mean remember when we were trading for Sean Burke????

Time to get a new storyline, hockey media. The story here is the salary cap and a potential redemption for Emery, not the same tired thing asking about reanimated corpses and sons of former great goalies to show up in town.

stealthelephant 07-20-2009 08:38 AM

I thought Biron was a decent goalie, just too laid back.

The problem is the team has been streaky the past couple of years. Long stretches of not playing well, or playing 20 minutes of dominating hockey following it with 40 minutes of scrimmage intensity hockey.

The team definately hung him out to dry on many occasions with their inconsistent play. Biron didn't seem like the kind of guy to head into the locker room at intermission and start screaming at the 20 guys playing in front of him.

If this off seasons signings and comments are any indicator, there were/are leadership and maturity issues the Flyers need to address.

Chicken Chaser 07-20-2009 09:05 AM

while i agree with what mostly everyone has said in regards to the goalie situation, this part of the media will never go away until a goalie plays here for more than 2-3 years running as a starter, and preferably takes this team on consecutive deep playoff runs...
It isn't dissimilar to looking at a NFL's team rate of success and then comparing to how many starting QB's they've gone through.
Goaltending may not always be the biggest concern in a certain year for this flyers club, but until there is long term stability there, the media will always pick at this scab.

stealthelephant 07-20-2009 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chicken Chaser (Post 20487311)
Goaltending may not always be the biggest concern in a certain year for this flyers club, but until there is long term stability there, the media will always pick at this scab.

Yea but Biron did have some bad stretches during the season, and thats why heading into the playoffs there were questions. It didn't help that the team playing in front of him was even MORE inconsistent.