HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Tips for a Rookie (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=665222)

billysbreakdown 07-20-2009 07:39 AM

Tips for a Rookie

Hockey has been my biggest interest since I was a little kid.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to play in a team since my small town hasn't had a rink.
But now it's here and it will open in September.
I'm now a part of the hockey team and I need tips as I'm about to start playing hockey.

I've been playing a lot of street hockey and I'm self-teached with the basics.
I can skate pretty good (hockey stops, backwards etc). I can handle the stick decent aswell.

But I really need tips how I become a better hockey player.

Exercises, muscles to workout at the gym, things to think about, anything you can think of.

18 years old, 190 cm, 75 kg

noobman 07-20-2009 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscarFLA (Post 20486857)
Hockey has been my biggest interest since I was a little kid.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to play in a team since my small town hasn't had a rink.
But now it's here and it will open in September.
I'm now a part of the hockey team and I need tips as I'm about to start playing hockey.

I've been playing a lot of street hockey and I'm self-teached with the basics.
I can skate pretty good (hockey stops, backwards etc). I can handle the stick decent aswell.

But I really need tips how I become a better hockey player.

Exercises, muscles to workout at the gym, things to think about, anything you can think of.

18 years old, 190 cm, 75 kg

You'll be too busy having fun to notice any flaws. Go out and enjoy your first three games or so. Once the high starts to dull a little (nothing's more fun than hockey IMO... ok, well maybe a few things ;) ) you can come back with a list of strengths and weaknesses (what you did well vs what you struggled with) and we may be able to help.

You say that you're a good skater and a good stickhandler... but are you a good stickhandler while skating? Can do you all of your skating moves while carrying a puck with your stick? Can you seamlessly transition from backwards to forwards, and start/stop on a dime?

I'd imagine that this, combined with the pace of the game, are the things you'd struggle with.

Hollywood Couturier 07-20-2009 11:34 AM

From personal experience(if there is hitting in the league), Keep your head up. Don't be watching the puck on your stick because it will lead to bad things.

cptjeff 07-20-2009 12:20 PM

Learning around the same age you are, the biggest thing you'll have to learn is positioning. Even if you've watched hockey before, unless you've been in the arena, you're not seeing where players play without the puck much. You need to know where to be to get passes and where to be to be able to pick them off, You need to know where to be in the defensive zone, and where to set up in the offensive zone. Even without being an outstanding player skill wise you can still be incredibly effective if you learn where to be.

I guess my advice is to watch the experienced guys on your team for their positioning. If possible, go to a few high level games (pro or whatever you have for developing players over there, here it would be junior or college teams), and watch whoever's playing your position. on the team.

Jarick 07-20-2009 12:47 PM

Big thing is keep your head up and take quick shifts. When you first start out, assuming you're playing against better players, you'll slow down after about 20-30 seconds, and when you're dead on your feet it's annoying for other players.

We have a guy on our team who's a couple levels below us and he's a solid player for the first part of his shift, but then he gets tired and literally stands stops skating. But he'll stay out there instead of coming off to the bench for a change. I'm not concerned about his lower ability, he tries hard and he's learning, it's just a fitness thing, and short shifts help.

Otherwise, work on your individual skills in your downtime (skating on open ice, stickhandling with a hockey ball, shooting at a range or your backyard, fitness and plyo, etc). Do some reading about positioning and team play. Try to get in on some practice clinics if you can. And eventually you'll identify where you need to improve.

billysbreakdown 07-21-2009 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noobman (Post 20488425)
You'll be too busy having fun to notice any flaws. Go out and enjoy your first three games or so. Once the high starts to dull a little (nothing's more fun than hockey IMO... ok, well maybe a few things ;) ) you can come back with a list of strengths and weaknesses (what you did well vs what you struggled with) and we may be able to help.

You say that you're a good skater and a good stickhandler... but are you a good stickhandler while skating? Can do you all of your skating moves while carrying a puck with your stick? Can you seamlessly transition from backwards to forwards, and start/stop on a dime?

I'd imagine that this, combined with the pace of the game, are the things you'd struggle with.

Thanks everybody, keep 'em coming.

I've noticed keeping your head up is something everybody mentions and it seems important.

No, I'm not that good with stickhandling while skating and I know that's something I have to practise. I guess begin the first out on the ice and then practise alone just skating around and playing around with the puck would be the best?

And another thing, I got pretty weak legs so I get tired pretty easy. I always take quick shifts.

Mr Wentworth 07-21-2009 08:34 AM

Keep your head up.
Keep your feet moving.

Don't try to be a hero (aka, have fun!)

bmundus 07-21-2009 09:25 PM

skate, skate and skate. remember if you don't fall you wont get better. falling allot of times shows improvement and that you are trying to get better. if you can walk or ride a bike and not the buss this will help, but nothing is like skating.
this is something that my dad had me do: try and keep two pucks in control as you skate. start off not skating then start skating slow then skate faster and faster. then do some turning while doing it. try and keep your head up while doing this.
youtube has a ton of how-to's for hockey so does http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/thinkhockey/

ILflyersfan 07-21-2009 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon (Post 20488692)
From personal experience(if there is hitting in the league), Keep your head up. Don't be watching the puck on your stick because it will lead to bad things.

+1. first game(and only game of season) i learned the same thing. thats some of the reason how i got hurt.

BadHammy* 07-21-2009 10:29 PM

Be patient, hockey take time. And try to work on your weaknesses as much as you can.

billysbreakdown 07-24-2009 04:16 AM

Any advice what to do now off-season so I'm more ready when the hockey starts in a couple of months?

Muscles to exercise?
Activities?

oilsands 07-26-2009 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OscarFLA (Post 20537600)
Any advice what to do now off-season so I'm more ready when the hockey starts in a couple of months?

Muscles to exercise?
Activities?

Rollerblading?
Biking?

Leg press, leg sled. Core muscles (abs, back).

Wrist/forearm exercises for strength. (heavily overlooked but EXTREMELY important)

Explosive sprinting.

billysbreakdown 07-27-2009 04:59 AM

How 'bout swimming?

Maybe combine gym with swimming would be a good idea.