HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   News Article: Smaby deal as early as this weekend (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=665677)

The Fear Boners 07-21-2009 12:51 PM

Smaby deal as early as this weekend

http://www.rawcharge.com/2009/7/21/9...s-this-weekend

Props to Raw Charge for the article. Love it over there.

Quote:

Matt Smaby was one of the bright spots on a hideous Tampa Bay Lightning defense last season. Not only did he play 43 games (only three defebseneb played more) but many of them were also played with a bone fracture in his foot. Matt was a -11 and had only 4 points, but the 24 year old was still solid when you consider the 24 year old was thrust into more playing time as injuries mounted on the Lightning blue-line.

Smaby filed for arbitration earlier this month and his hearing is this next week and negotiations are ongoing with the team. Both his agent and Lightning GM Brian Lawton are optimistic.
The article also says he isn't a lock to make the team out of camp and frankly I disagree, but what do I know?

Going Back to Cally 07-21-2009 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey (Post 20502909)
http://www.rawcharge.com/2009/7/21/9...s-this-weekend

Props to Raw Charge for the article. Love it over there.

The article also says he isn't a lock to make the team out of camp and frankly I disagree, but what do I know?

I could have sworn he is eligible for waivers. If he is he will be on somebodies nhl roster.
Posted via Mobile Device

Lecavilier_4 07-21-2009 02:07 PM

Quote:

(only three defebseneb played more)
Butchered.

The Fear Boners 07-21-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lecavilier_4 (Post 20504123)
Butchered.

TYLER!

BadHammy* 07-21-2009 03:17 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they started him in the minors at first. But I suspect it would only last a few weeks, at most.

The Fear Boners 07-21-2009 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donGjohnson (Post 20505202)
I wouldn't be surprised if they started him in the minors at first. But I suspect it would only last a few weeks, at most.

Reason for arb is to get a one way and we WILL lose him to waivers in a ****ing heartbeat.

IdealisticSniper 07-21-2009 06:05 PM

Im slightly intrigued by this. If the hold up is that its a one way deal, and Lawton has already publicly stated that Smaby is in our top 6, what is the issue?

Smaby better be signed, and better be on the roster opening night. He is gonna be the stud shutdown guy we have been missing for a long time. Dont screw up now Lawton.

STRANGE VICTORY 07-21-2009 07:56 PM

Says we are going to have 8 D on the roster, No way he isn't one of them, I don't think one of Foster or Krajicek makes it though.

Meszaros-Ranger
Ohlund-Hedman
Smaby-Walker
Lashoff-(Foster/Krajicek)

CSampson 07-21-2009 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper (Post 20507551)
Im slightly intrigued by this. If the hold up is that its a one way deal, and Lawton has already publicly stated that Smaby is in our top 6, what is the issue?

Smaby better be signed, and better be on the roster opening night. He is gonna be the stud shutdown guy we have been missing for a long time. Dont screw up now Lawton.

A+ :handclap:

Shadeslayer813 07-21-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

well said :)

TBFan 07-22-2009 07:15 AM

Quote:

Lawton backed himself into a corner on this one. Opened his mouth a little too soon.

Smaby will be a good one. He is about a year away.

The Fear Boners 07-22-2009 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBFan (Post 20513003)
Lawton backed himself into a corner on this one. Opened his mouth a little too soon.

Smaby will be a good one. He is about a year away.

Year away from what?

Smaby is ready and has nothing to gain at this point in Norfolk, and he won't pass through waivers, either.

This is purely speculation on my part, but I think this might be how its going down.

Smaby knows, as well as Tampa, that he belongs here. He has nothing else to gain in the AHL and needs to be with the club. He also knows he has bargaining power because of this role and minutes played last year, especially with injury.

What he and his agent see, though, is a numbers game. This is where the one way comes in. He wants a one way so he guarantees his spot in Tampa Bay and doesn't get shuffled to Norfolk because the team has itself in a bit of contract trouble with Lashoff and Lundin. If he has a two way, this will happen, because the team can't afford to lose an asset for nothing.

The more I think about it, the more I can almost guarantee that the situation is NOT about money at all, its about him not riding the bus anymore when he knows he belongs here, and he doesn't want to be one of the shuffled chips.

TBFan 07-22-2009 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey (Post 20513116)
Year away from what?

From being the shutdown d-man we have been looking for.

I agree, he deserves to be here with the Lightning. He will get the experience he needs.

The Fear Boners 07-22-2009 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBFan (Post 20513262)

I agree, he deserves to be here with the Lightning. He will get the experience he needs.

Oh hes got a good two seasons i'd guess before he is really where he needs to be... but hes just not going to learn in the AHL anymore.

Bolt32 07-22-2009 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBFan (Post 20513262)

I can see Smaby being a top 4 maybe even a number 3 D-man in the shutdown role. Is he that now? No, does he beat out enough people to crack our line up? Most definetly. Anyone that says he is not NHL ready simply haven't watched the kid play last season, HE IS READY. Other than Hedman, I feel most excited about having him back on our roster, the kid is a beast. He has proved him self in Norfolk and now its a waste to send him there, hes a big boy now let him play with the men instead of the kids.

TheDaysOf 04 07-24-2009 09:56 PM

from EE's twitter
Quote:

Lightning GM Brian Lawton to meet with agent for Matt Smaby on Saturday "to see if we can hammer this thing out'' - Arbitration set for Tues

Going Back to Cally 07-26-2009 12:24 AM

Quote:

TBLightning Lightning close to a deal with Matt Smaby on a 2 year contract. Stay tuned Sunday morning.....
TBLs twitter

TheDaysOf 04 07-26-2009 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patrick (Post 20557933)
TBLs twitter

good. I got worried when nothing was reported the whole day.

Acehawk74 07-26-2009 08:55 AM

Per Lightning Twitter, no terms yet:

Deal done, Smaby signed for 2 years.

Cap Hit 525k. Looks like 1 year.

Year 1 - 550k
Year 2 - 500k

What a steal for Smaby!

Vasilevskiy 07-26-2009 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acehawk74 (Post 20559301)
Per Lightning Twitter, no terms yet:

Deal done, Smaby signed for 2 years.

Cap Hit 525k. Looks like 1 year.

Year 1 - 550k
Year 2 - 500k

What a steal for Smaby!

:handclap:

Going Back to Cally 07-26-2009 09:16 AM

What is pretty amazing is that Smaby's qualifying offer was $660,000 so in exchange for giving him a one way deal which since Smaby was eligible for waivers wouldn't have mattered anyway Smaby signs for $160,000 less.

Having a former agent for GM is fun.

IdealisticSniper 07-26-2009 09:21 AM

What a steal of a contract that is. Chalk up another notch in Lawtons belt. If it was Feaster, Smaby would be getting 3m a year and a NTC coming out of that meeting lol.

TheDaysOf 04 07-26-2009 09:23 AM

great sign. that's a steal for Smaby

RTA Supra 07-26-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper (Post 20559426)
If it was Feaster, Smaby would be getting 3m a year and a NTC coming out of that meeting lol.

lol, I knew you would say something like that

Going Back to Cally 07-26-2009 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RTA Supra (Post 20559440)
lol, I knew you would say something like that

After how Feaster "negotiated" Richards and Boyle's deals I wouldn't put anything past him.